What about BOB? HDS lighting and batteries for "Oh CRAP!"

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the list and links. I have a small bag with me when I work on the ambulance- I work primarily in one borough of NYC but I can and do end up in any part of NYC. Additionally, I can sit for hours by a fire or any other situation where I'm limited to what I have with me. My bag is to keep me comfortable and to have backups until I get home. I use the same or similar bag (either a Goruck gr1 or a 5.11 rush 24) for my BOB when I am not near my house.

Onto the lights: I carry a Rotary 18650. In my bag I have (I play around with the exact configuration of what I carry each shift) a Rotary cr123, a ZL H600fc, Malkoff MD2, PK-pr1 and an 18650 thrower (Convoy C8) from mountain electronics.

Batteries, I have 2-3 spare 18650's and 4 cr123s. I carry the Olight usb charger as well. (I probably should bring a better one with a cradle as we have inverters and keep the bus running at all times)

At minimum, I have the 18650 Rotary, the ZL headlamp and the Convoy C8. I have been carrying incandescent flashlight as well- currently a Surefire 6p.

I don't have dedicated lights lights for my bag but I will go through my lights and leave a couple in there, probably my Malkoff and an AA headlamp. The 2 HDS lights that I have, stay with me- at least until I get a third and then the 3 O'clock might go in.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
One important thing I learned, as I do use a lot of this stuff often when camping and my general "I wonder where this incredibly crappy road goes?" adventures, is do NOT organize your BOB like your wife does her suitcase when going on an extended trip. It's good to have pouches for "categories" but if you organize each pouch so that it is packed full "a certain way" and everything will only fit in it "a certain way" it's not good. You need to be able to open it, grab what you need and later be able to just toss it back in there without taking everything out and organizing it again.

Everything in that Hazard 4 Plan B will fit in a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack, but then there is no room for anything else. I like to have the main compartment 3/4 empty so you can pack something else in there depending on what you are doing and where you are going.

Oh, and some of those roads take you to some pretty incredible places...
img-2394.jpg

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left to right:

- My usual EDC, a High Noon Clicky in a no-frills Thor's holster.

- The stuff in my backpack: 13000mAh battery pack (which at this point is mostly for emergency cell phone refueling since I haven't been carrying a charger - note to self: get one of those Olight universal magnetic chargers!), spare 123 in a delrin capsule, spare 18650, my trusty PFlexPro Convoy S2+, and its diffuser cone.

- The stuff in my go bag: Opus BT-C100, 4x 123s, 2x 18650s, HDS Clicky in 18650. I like this charger because it's pretty small and accepts 12V or 5V (usb) input from the battery pack. It will also supply 5V output, if necessary.

74O0R8F.jpg

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
One important thing I learned, as I do use a lot of this stuff often when camping and my general "I wonder where this incredibly crappy road goes?" adventures, is do NOT organize your BOB like your wife does her suitcase when going on an extended trip. It's good to have pouches for "categories" but if you organize each pouch so that it is packed full "a certain way" and everything will only fit in it "a certain way" it's not good. You need to be able to open it, grab what you need and later be able to just toss it back in there without taking everything out and organizing it again.
Very true.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
I love this thread. However, after looking at what you guys carry, I am a little embarrassed about what I have accumulated over the years.

As a general rule, I carry enough on me to get to my vehicle. Enough stuff in my vehicle to last a week or until I get to my main residence. I can last at least a year in my residence without opening my BOB. If things are really bad, like...a grid down scenario...I'll want to move often, never staying in one place too long. My BOB has first aid, water filtration and purification, light-weight freeze dried food and compressed ration bars, batteries, multiple fire starting options, lights, click-pops etc. If there is time, I'll adjust the contents based on the scenario before I roll out. If not, I'll just take a full pack and discard or trade some items along my path.

As far as specific lights, the list and what's in the pack changes often. I am in and out of that bag at least once a week. Right now;
HDS Clicky
HDS Rotary
Maratac AAA
Olight S1A
Zebralight Sc600
3 lights with red secondary LEDs for night work
12 18650's
8 Eneloop Pro AAs
8 Eneloop Pro AAAs
40 123 primaries
20 AA Lithium primaries
Antigravity jump pack
Schumacher jump pack
Solar charger

And when I have to bug out, I am going to hate leaving all this other stuff here, like the hundreds of other batteries, so I know I'll be trying to cram as many batteries in as many nooks and crannies as possible because I have issues.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and some of those roads take you to some pretty incredible places...
img-2394.jpg

Well, that picture did it. Got me to purchase a Nitecore 12V DC Car charging cord for my Nitecore D4 charger in my BOB. That way I can plug the charger into my Jeep Grand Cherokee and charge my 18650 batteries while on the move. My Jeep with a V8 engine has a huge brand new Interstate battery (850 CCA) with an unbelievable 90 minute reserve and a new alternator that puts out 160 amps. Sweet.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this thread. However, after looking at what you guys carry, I am a little embarrassed about what I have accumulated over the years.

Don't be. I didn't post what is in the vehicles or home... I was once contacted by a news outlet for an interview which I declined... Needless to say, I wouldn't have to leave my home for well over a year and an X class solar flare or EMP wouldn't bring down one of my vehicles.

My thought was always to bug in if feasible... if you live in the right area.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
This is just one bag of lights in my GHB it's kinda old school I have another with a modern day 140 HDS and a Malkoff MD2 with a m61."the only light I trust more then HDS"
9280052-E-FC01-4924-B73-A-B1-F65-FBAFBC0.jpg

doctordun

Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]For EDC I have two small 2032 powered led light along with an Olight I1R EOS. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have an HDS Clicky or Rotary in a Hogo holster and a custom belt knife on the same side.
On the other side I carry Sig Sauer P365 with extended mag in a custom holster as well.
Around my neck, I have custom neck knife.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pockets have small tools and items like tooth picks, tweezers, nail clippers and file. Another utility knife with a replaceable blade and a combo diamond ceramic knife sharpener.
I carry two titanium pill fobs that I fit spare primary 123's.

At my age, I need my meds close, so I have re-purposed Walmart orange match tube for my medicines.

My knives are from this guy. One of the best in the world. But excellence is not cheap.
https://www.cartercutlery.com
He is a 27th Generation Moshi Moto Japanese Blade Smith. He makes all my knives now. Highly recommend him. When he came to the states he achieved Master Smith rating through the American Bladesmith Society in June 2001.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
Thermal Guy,
Love the bag and its contents!! I found a source for a couple natural 17670 tubes, a NIB 120E and a 2xaa 120T this week. Just got them in today. I'm going to catch up to you!! I thought I was thinning the herd....

And now I'm back to who knows how many.

Time to do that brass bar trick you talked about so I can run 18650's in my XRGT 60 and Tac's...along with 2xaa and 123's.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thermal Guy,
Love the bag and its contents!! I found a source for a couple natural 17670 tubes, a NIB 120E and a 2xaa 120T this week. Just got them in today. I'm going to catch up to you!! I thought I was thinning the herd....

And now I'm back to who knows how many.

Time to do that brass bar trick you talked about so I can run 18650's in my XRGT 60 and Tac's...along with 2xaa and 123's.

That's sounds like a great combination. Pictures when done please. And catching up? For a while there NO hds was safe from you lol I barely had time to see what the hell it was before it was already being shipped to you 😂😂

Berneck1

Enlightened
AA batteries are 100% necessary for emergency situations. Of course, you can add to it with other types, but there must always be at least one AA option. If you can only choose one type it should be AA. You're not going to find 18650's or CR123's that easily in an emergency. And, forget getting them from CVS at sometimes north of $10.00 for one battery!! You will always be able to find AA's somewhere.

And by the way I'm talking in real emergency situations, not zombie apocalypse.

I'd also add that adding different chargers and battery types takes up more room. Best to stick with same battery type and more than one light. And if you go 18650, make sure they can handle two CR123's....

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
Re: What about BOB? HDS lighting and batteries for "Oh CRAP!"

Here is the list and links for my BOB. I need to update it as a few things have changed, but it's 99% correct.

So that's about $4500 of dedicated emergency survival gear you carry with you everywhere, plus $1500 in EDC gear. Wow.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Ti rotary will bump up those figures.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 18680 will run on 2 CR123s... but just for a millisecond then the elf dies.

I never actually added up the value of what is in my BOB or on my person... I certainly didn't buy it all at once though I knew the total was going to run into some serious numbers. Will have a CRK Inkosi soon... so that will have an effect. Then there are the vehicle kits, and the stuff at home. I hate to think... though in a way, I would consider it a "hobby"... a very serious and sometimes expensive hobby.

But I'm the guy who buys a $500 18 year old Jeep then puts 20k into it making it exactly what I want... getting close to finishing it after 4 months of work.

Things add up over time. I remember the first year I started doing leatherwork in earnest... every time I sold something, I went and bought more tools. After a year I asked my supplier how much I had spent just in their shop, and it was over 10k. I've been doing the preparedness thing since 1995... I don't even want to think about it.

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened

I'm curious how much your pack actually weighs. I estimate about 11.7kg with the water bottle filled, plus another 2.1kg for your EDC. That's a lot to be carrying around everywhere in case of emergency.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm curious how much your pack actually weighs. I estimate about 11.7kg with the water bottle filled, plus another 2.1kg for your EDC. That's a lot to be carrying around everywhere in case of emergency.

Tossed it on the scale. 23 pounds without the 50/50 1/2 gallon of water. That adds another 6 pounds.
A lot lighter than a military pack. Either way, if I had to go any distance on foot with it, items can always be tossed out or handed to someone else...

I don't know what the edc gear weighs. I'll have to weigh that when my Inkosi comes in a few days of I am dumping Benchmade.