What are all available penlights out there?

N_N_R

Enlightened
@ven

Wow, that's LONG.

@UnderPar

Yeah, I like the Preon 2 exactly for its stylish look....

But it seems destiny's trying to save me from a crappy Preon, lol. I can't order it from Amazon for some reason, they don't like my address.... and then I can't buy it from a guy on eBay, from whom I've bought before. Weird.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes,around 6" but thin like an actual pen,this is it compared to the lenser p4 which is 2xAAA,i find the AAA quite a thick light(width)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I prefer penlights that do not change their shape, so to speak, throughout their length. I.e. not too big or small heads. I know the preon widens a little, but it, together with the Fenix LD05 are so far the closest thing to my perception of a penlight.

I had the 4Sevens penlight, but its clip bended way too often and easily and it would also flicker sometimes (seems to be an issue with the 4Sevens 2AAA)

cnqualitygoods has this stainless penlight for $19
I have the XPG2 R5 4A tint in another of their aaa lights, and it is a beautiful NW tint.

CQG S2 2AAA CREE XPG2 R5 4A NW EDC Flashlight
two modes, 15 lm and 120 lm.
edit... ooops, I see it also has a strobe. high -low-strobe

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
I have the XPG2 R5 4A tint in another of their aaa lights, and it is a beautiful NW tint.

Now THIS looks intriguing .... I'll wait and see what that guy on eBay can do about me purchasing a Preon 2 and if nothing happens, I might give this one a shot... looks cool (which is often the reason for my to by a light, lol [though my idea of "cool" generally differs from that of others :D] )

@ven, yeah, thin and really pen-like, but... are you able to keep that in a pocket/shirt pocket/front/back pocket? Or maybe you carry it in a sheath/bag or sth?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I guess it depends on pants,front pockets on mine are fine but mens combats are my usual wear(Saturday nights a dress so goes in handbag):sssh: :laughing:

Its really a "technician light for inspections" ideal for top over coat,clip can be moved and holds place(quite clever tbh)

Negatives-length at around 6" but as can tell thin using AAAA cells,so far still on original cells......so seem to last sufficiently.
This is down to personal preference now,its like the "blue moon" on the lenser p3/p4 which gives an almost perfect circle with a blue border,i love it and others may loath it.Being honest that p3 got me into lenser lights,i was dissapointed the t7 did not have the "blue moon" but i digress

One mode,on/off so simple,good for close work and maybe up to 15-20yds so no big flood/throw from this so down to actual uses.Close up its tight spot,but perfect.....

I dont own a preon,or seen/held but i do know you would not be able to compare as in the preon will be a better light for more purpose use.

Positive is stainless so less marks,easy clean etc

Not a must buy,just thrown what i have into the mix;) just another option to look at/rule out that all:thumbsup:

dss_777

Enlightened
The Preon 2 modded with Nichia 219B from Illumination Supply is very awesome. A beautiful tint, for sure...

Poppy

Flashaholic

Well... I finally clicked on the "Submit order" button, and will have one coming in the mail. Two to three weeks away, but something to wait for.

It has a reflector, whereas my DQG AAA IV has a tir optic. It will be interesting to see how this one compares

N_N_R

Enlightened
I already managed to order my long awaited Preon 2.... but I've put that SQG thing on my list... lol. I hate this place. :D

Poppy

Flashaholic
I already managed to order my long awaited Preon 2.... but I've put that SQG thing on my list... lol. I hate this place. :D

Yeah... I already have two penlights clipped to the inside of the vinyl garbage bag - clipped to the ashtray of my car. I really needed this one, right? :)

Yet... I deny having a problem. I just do my best to keep it in check. :crazy:

N_N_R

Enlightened
Yep, I have no problem either... :D I have a problem when we move to the DST or whatever it was called... an hour forward and now I have one hour of darkness less in which to use my LIGHTS. GR. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Preon 2 has a mushy, rattly (if that's a word) switch that many (myself included) don't like. I put my Preon 2 head on an old 2 piece Stylus Pro body and made a fantastic penlight.

+1 on the switch.

I tossed a Preon 1 solid tailcap on my Preon 2. Solved the problem right away!

Though yeah, turned the light into a twist-only model. (Not an issue for me.) Plus, the very low profile set-up means it rides perfectly in a back pocket up against one of the pocket seams.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have 3 Preon 2 and the switches were as said above "rattly".
What I did on two of them was to remove the upper ring on the tail and lift the metall cap. I then put a small piece of double sided adhesive tape on the rubber boot and put it back together.
This removes the rattle and makes the switch more responsive.
The trick is to find the right thickness - to thin and you don't get any effect, to thick and the switch doesnt work.
And it doesn't need to be doublesided either I think.

The Preon 2 is a great light and I use it as work EDC.
Switch it on/off at least 20 times every day. Usually just a few seconds each time so I recharge only 2-3 times a year.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Well... I finally clicked on the "Submit order" button, and will have one coming in the mail. Two to three weeks away, but something to wait for.

It has a reflector, whereas my DQG AAA IV has a tir optic. It will be interesting to see how this one compares

My CQG S2 2AAA CREE XPG2 arrived yesterday... yahoo!
If you get one, for the extra $1.50 get the pocket clip for it too.
It is smooth and clean rather slim and would sit nicely in your pocket next to a cross stainless or chrome pen.
The threads of the tail switch are brass, and when they screw into the stainless body, they thread on as "smooth as silk." It's a forward clicky switch, with momentary on. It has three modes, high, low and strobe. It doesn't have memory, so it always starts in high.

The tint was supposed to be a 4A, but it looks more like a 3C which is a creamy white neutral. Still very nice.

White wall hunting at only four inches, the beam is a little ringy, but in use, it's not noticeable.
On a perfectly level surface, it can tail stand, unless you attach a ring or lanyard to it's single hole in the tail cap.

On high @ 120 lumens, the head gets a little hot if left tail standing, not so much if you are holding it in your hand which helps to keep it cool, in comparison the the preon 2 which outputs 192 lumens must get a bit hotter.

Overall, I like it. It could definitely be a suit jacket EDC.

I expect that it will live most of its life in a holder in my car.

ven

Flashaholic
Congrats Poppy,glad it got there eventually :D and even better you like it too,sounds like an excuse to wear a suit more!!:whistle:

:thumbsup:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Congrats Poppy,glad it got there eventually :D and even better you like it too,sounds like an excuse to wear a suit more!!:whistle:

:thumbsup:

Poppyyy, pllllleaassssseee take some pictures *drool*

Hi ven, ... maybe I'll just drive my car some more :)

NNR, I'd like to post some pictures, but I don't have one of those public picture accounts. I'm just a little concerned about security and privacy.

PM sent.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Oh, i saw the PM first and the message here later :) Don't bother! :D I just tend to get overly excited when someone gets a new toy, Lol. Don't mind me :D

ven

Flashaholic
Its OK,poppy has my mail,so once i get pics i will upload,however i will be going bed in an hour or so as up early:fail: so may be tomorrow for pic/s:D