What are floating lanterns for?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I would say one could use 4AA cells in a lantern or any 4D light and it would probably float if water tight. Even some 2D lights may float using AA cells in them.

myth5.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was hoping this thread would be about the small candle-powered hot-air balloons that people sometimes release at fairs and festivals.
Personally I would advise against such things, one of those could start a fire somewhere especially in areas that have experienced droughts last year.

indychris

Newly Enlightened
Personally I would advise against such things, one of those could start a fire somewhere especially in areas that have experienced droughts last year.

There are plenty of safe places to use them. I saw a few released over a large lake on a still night a few years back. Man what a sight!
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Back to the OP, though (at least kinda…)

What about using something like a Chums Camera Float attached to a decent waterproof light? It should float a light that's not too heavy, it would give you a lanyard, and you could use whatever light you wanted so long as it had a way to connect a lanyard...

I've never used it for a flashlight, but a friend had one for his camera in Belize last year. Worked really well. Would seem like the perfect solution to me. I think I may order a couple

http://www.chums.com/category/water-sports-keychains/product/camera-float

chums.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
In my experience, the candle usually blows out and the balloon drifts to the ground, or the balloon tips over and the candle blows out while falling. It would be very difficult to start a fire with a candle-powered hot-air balloon, because as long as the candle is lit, the balloon will continue to generate lift and gain altitude, especially as the candle burns away and gets lighter.

Anyway...:whistle:

fyrstormer

Banned
Yes. Fortunately candles are much less powerful than high explosives, and also not known for surviving drops of several hundred feet while remaining lit. ;)

I get the point that anything is possible, but below a certain threshold, the risk is too small to worry about.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALL flashlights float! That is, until they fall out of the boat...

I always thought floating lanterns were meant for people who have a pool. Now I realise there are a few more uses.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Everready Dolphin floating lantern is quite a throw monster with a four-cell MagnumStar xenon bulb.

scaled.php

The Dolphin is the ONLY floating lantern style light I would bother with... all else are poor imitations :nana:

BTW Guys... top hats are posh and dressy but...

scaled.php

Fez's are way cooler :p

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In my experience, the candle usually blows out and the balloon drifts to the ground, or the balloon tips over and the candle blows out while falling. It would be very difficult to start a fire with a candle-powered hot-air balloon, because as long as the candle is lit, the balloon will continue to generate lift and gain altitude, especially as the candle burns away and gets lighter.

Anyway...:whistle:
Legal status

Sanya in China has banned sky lanterns due to hazard to aircraft.[5]

It is illegal to launch a sky lantern in most parts of Germany, and in the remaining areas where use is technically legal, such as Herford, it is still necessary to obtain advance permission from local authorities. In Austria, it is illegal to produce, sell, or import them, or to distribute them in any other way.[6]. In Brazil, it is illegal to launch lanterns in the whole territory.

A permanent ban on sky lanterns that "rely on an open flame to heat the air inside the lantern" was made in Australia on 1 February 2011.[7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_lantern

ericjohn

Enlightened
I have two Garrity G-Tech floating lanterns. They have a special material in the handle, that is some kind of flotation device. The thing I don't get about it is you can unscrew a cap at the end of the handle and the flotation material comes right out.

Do they float? Yes.

I use them when I go fishing at night (I rarely do that.)

Are they rugged?

Yes and no; They have slightly more shock resistant than those Wal-Mart Ozark Trail Lanterns, and definitely more water resistant.

Would they survive a drop on concrete? I doubt it.

Are they good to have on a boat? Hell yeah, they float nicely, even with a 6 Volt Lantern battery inside.

They cast a very good beam, approx. half a mile just like advertised on Garrity's website.

http://www.garritylites.com/page102.html

I think they serve their purpose for what they are designed; fishing and boating.

I call my two that I have my "fisherman's lanterns".

I am surprised that they are not that popular here in Louisiana.

My wife bought both of mine on clearance at West Marine, they costed around $8.

Garrity is unfortunately a defunct company, so these lights will be increasingly harder to find.

Eveready's Utility lantern is also supposedly a floating lantern, but it's not water proof.

Those are the only floating lanterns I know of, and I hope I have been helpful.