What are some big popular ideas on this forum?

FirstBIFL

Newly Enlightened
When you're outta money come back and we'll show you the cheap stuff……
I'm not ready for custom mods, but am curious to see examples of the $1500 Miele vacuum cleaner type of flashlight

$1600
8c11-4b73d3bb6acb.2638b695bdf6245b2e72bbb615a5c528.jpg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The majority will think this way and are right...Just like why do you need a watch when you have a phone.
Flashlight enthusiasts are in the minority, just like watch and knife enthusiasts.
The general rule of thumb is the more flashlights you have, the less ***** you're getting...obviously I'm an exception.

At the end of it all, flashlights fill a need and/or serve a purpose.
For some, the purpose is a need for light. For others, it's purely a hobby.
Some folks like the artsy aesthetics side of lights.
Some folks like the power performance that a lot of these import lights are pumping out.
Some folks get into modding and find it fun and somewhat cheap to do.
Some want to support small USA businesses that are crafting lights.

When you dive deeper into the niche, you'll find specific lights are better suited for specific tasks. Then you'll find you prefer certain tints, then you'll find you prefer certain tints for certain tasks...and then before you know it you have irrationally rationalized why you have several lights.

The 7 big philosophies I have are:
1) Buy American flashlights
2) Squat twice a week
3) Deadlift once a week at the end of your back day
4) Eat like a dog to turn into a wolf
5) Legs feed the wolf
6) To get big you have to eat big
7) Salt your pasta water
Kernels, are you saying squat twice a week,, or squats?

I squat at least 3 times a day:knight:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not ready for custom mods, but am curious to see examples of the $1500 Miele vacuum cleaner type of flashlight

Join Flashlight Fanatics on FB. There's a $5k light for sale every day. Most of those lights are the same $30 components you can buy…they just have exotic metals/finishes/machining. In other words, artsy stuff. No different than someone paying millions for some old paper with old paint slapped on it.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "luxury lights" are mainly regular lights made with fancy materials & machining, just like fancy knives or pens. Cool but not "better" in terms of function or reliability, in fact sometimes worse (like many luxury watches). If you like it or not I suppose depends on whether you look at flashlights more as tools, or man jewelry. If you treat lights strictly as tools, get a Malkoff & end it there. But why not both?

Poppy

Flashaholic
The "luxury lights" are mainly regular lights made with fancy materials & machining, just like fancy knives or pens. Cool but not "better" in terms of function or reliability, in fact sometimes worse (like many luxury watches). If you like it or not I suppose depends on whether you look at flashlights more as tools, or man jewelry. If you treat lights strictly as tools, get a Malkoff & end it there. But why not both?
I agree.
I view lights as tools. I have more Convoy S2+ lights than any other. They can be found all over my house and cars. They are always in the top 10 favorite budget light list, for I guess the last ten years running. I've never had one fail on me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One idea slowly gaining traction is the LEP light.
Not so great at lighting up a warehouse, but if you want to morse code your cousin a county away at night those are where it's going to be where all the action is sooner or later.

I just read about one that's not even 500 lumens but touts well over 300,000 candela.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philosophies.. If there's life after death, will i need a Hi Cri flashlight in heaven?
No, Jesus is the world's brightest and longest running light. Revelation 21:23-24: "The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is it's light. And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in it's light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it."

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's my favorite light and light I tell all my friends about?
Overall, the light that covers most of my bases and is impressive to show off is the Nitecore E4K.
Best lights by category:
Loaner/cheapo light: Rayovac 2AA Indestructible, Energizer 2AA Hardcase
edc/keychain: Nitecore Tip 2, Nitecore Tip CRI, Olight i3e EOS 120 lumen, Fenix EO1 v.2
headlamps: Nitecore HC60 v.2, Nitecore NU20, Acebeam H40
lanterns: Luci Lux Pro, Nitecore magnetic 80 lumen high cri lantern kit, Enbrighten 8D 800 lumen lantern, Milwaukee 12 and 18 volt lanterns
belt carry/good for everything/SHTF light: Nitecore E4K, Nitecore MH10 v.2, 4Sevens Quark Pro 2A
favorite durable light: Surefire 6P l.e.d.
favorite thrower: Sams Club Power on Board 35 watt h.i.d. spotlight
favorite floodlight: Milwaukee 3000 lumen 18 volt floodlight

FirstBIFL

Newly Enlightened
After some reflection, I realize I'm not interested in overpriced $800 artwork. I view them as tools and simply want a balance between quality and value. My max budget is probably around $25-$100. I like my $25 Braun and $50 Schumacher, which is built like a tank for pro mechanic use.

FirstBIFL

Newly Enlightened
What's my favorite light and light I tell all my friends about?
Overall, the light that covers most of my bases and is impressive to show off is the Nitecore E4K.

Why is Nitecore E4K for $90, compared to the cheap $10 kinds that look similar. Is it really 9x better ?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is Nitecore E4K for $90, compared to the cheap $10 kinds that look similar. Is it really 9x better ?
Can you tell me of another usb rechargeable light that will put out 4400 lumens that I can fit in my pocket? It's not just that. It runs near a month on low, near 2 days at 50 lumens (great for hiking, backpacking, and emergencies), near an 8 hour shift at 320 lumens (good for work, security), and over 3 hours at 1050 lumens (good for routefinding). The 4400 lumen turbo works great for spotting hazards at a distance and signaling. The settings cover all your bases. It's fully waterproof and usb-c rechargeable via the battery. I also get hand tremors due to an unknown health condition. The light is the right size for good grip, isn't heavy, and the even flood beam lets me see better with shaky hands vs. a spot that would bounce all over the place making it hard to see. It's the best light I have found for me. Maybe your needs don't require the same things as me. If it works for you, that's fine. I go on long solo hikes in very dark places and have health issues that make me not want to take any gear that will crap out on me or that weighs a lot. If your life depends on good gear, don't go cheap.

FirstBIFL

Newly Enlightened
What lumens will a generic $10 light put out ? It that E4k power from the battery or the light itself?
Also, can you tell me more about your hand tremors?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
What lumens will a generic $10 light put out ? It that E4k power from the battery or the light itself?
Also, can you tell me more about your hand tremors?
$10 might get you a light with 300-500+ lumens from AAs or AAAs. With alkalines, it won't stay bright for long (usually under 50 lumens most of the time). You might get a cheap lithium ion light online that claims to be very bright but isn't and won't last. You usually get what you pay for.
As far as the essential hand tremors, I have an as yet unknown neurological condition that causes hand tremors, muscle twitches (fasciculations), myoclonic jerks, sharp pains throughout the body caused by nerves, tension headaches, shortness of breath, muscle atrophy, and sometimes a sensation of being strangled by the neck. Those are just the most recent symptoms. After 6 years, I'm finally applying for disability. When I hike, I use trekking poles in case a leg stops working temporarily so I don't trip and fall. I bring a bothy bag in case I have to wait out bad weather or get injured. I take every precaution I can while keeping pack weight low which includes bringing lights I trust with good floodlight (Nitecore HC60 v.2 headlight, Nitecore E4K) so the hand shaking is less of an issue. If you don't have health issues and don't go on wide, dark trails that off road vehicles share, maybe you can get away with less. For me, having good gear can be the difference between life and death. On a 15 foot wide trail 15 miles round trip in the dark shared by Jeeps (Black Mountain, Ramona CA) a light that dims within minutes doesn't cut it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sure do love those long, detailed, drawn out discussions regarding Streamlight products. :)

(Everyone whose been on these forums for longer than awhile, just enjoyed a good chuckle.)