What can brown do for you?

greenLED

Flashaholic
magic79 said:
I sent Machrone an email ...
In his answer he said "So I discovered Mark. I've written a followup column."
Excellent. I'll try to remember to look up his next column. :thanks:

Like I said, UPS's record with my stuff's been flawless.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
You are right on the money Empath. This would be like getting an undercooked steak at a restaurant, and expecting the farmer to reimburse you!

Farmers grow steaks? Can I learn how? Can't afford them at the inflated supermarket prices anymore. Where do I get one of dem steak trees? :)

magic79 said:
I sent Machrone an email (which he answered almost immediately!) stating a similar argument: The payment and contract are between the shipping company and UPS. The reimbursement is between the seller and Machrone.

In his answer he said "So I discovered Mark. I've written a followup column."

Personally I still find that unacceptable. Even an amatuer or student journalist would know to check their facts first. This guy is just publishing a rant, short and simple. I just find it hard to believe that no one reviewed that article before it was published.

magic79

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Farmers grow steaks? Can I learn how? Can't afford them at the inflated supermarket prices anymore. Where do I get one of dem steak trees? :)

Personally I still find that unacceptable. Even an amatuer or student journalist would know to check their facts first. This guy is just publishing a rant, short and simple. I just find it hard to believe that no one reviewed that article before it was published.

Back where I come from (Illinois), we have cattle farms, dairy farms, hog farms, etc. The folks who own them are called Cattle Farmers, Dairy Farmers, Hog Farmers, etc. Not sure how "farmer" is associated solely with botanical farms.

We like to laugh at those folks who call them "ranches", but I don't really care 'cuz they taste good whatever you call the fella who raises them! :lolsign:

I agree he's ranting. My email to him basically said the same thing! (he has been PC Mags editor for about 100 years though)

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I received a package from UPS a few years ago that was ***SERIOUSLY*** mangled.

crunch1.jpg

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my first damaged package ever (out of well over a thousand) from UPS late last year. The large box was ripped open and half the contents were missing. It was quite obvious that it was improperly packaged from the shipper (Sears), and as it turned out, the other half of the contents were delivered the next business day. None of the contents were damaged, but the packaging was in very poor shape. In case anyone was wondering, the service I receive from UPS has been the same over the years, even before I worked for them.

-Keith

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're thinking of Michael Miller. He was Editor in Chief of PC Mag for quite a while now (until last year). Marchone hasn't been Editor in Chief since the early 90's when Miller succeeded him.

magic79 said:
(he has been PC Mags editor for about 100 years though)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I think it's inevitable for an occasional package to get squished.

One cold and wet christmas the local UPS center allowed customers to queue up through the back door so we were out of the rain. We had a clear view of the loading/unloading of the trucks. It was mighty impressive to see the shear number of boxes that were being passed around. The conveyors at the airport were much more abusive than what I saw. Even so, I noticed a box or two get thumped at the end of the conveyor by the box following it

When I was young I worked for a subcontractor shuttling mail between post offices. We'd load a truck in one town and unload at the next. We were careful with the boxes marked 'fragile' and only tossed them the last couple of feet onto the pile. I learned from that to always package really well and not to try to send really fragile pieces.

I always like to see the Brown Santa show up at my house. :)
Daniel

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had dozens of packages delivered by UPS, Fed Ex, and USPS throughout the years. I have two beefs, and neither are with UPS. USPS takes FOREVER delivering a package, and once Fed Ex left nearly $400 of high performance automotive lighting sitting on my porch in the rain when I'd ordered and paid for signature service and full insurance. To their credit, nothing was damaged or stolen. I did make a complaint and get a written apology from the driver.

Cheers. :buddies:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I must have been lucky. My packages travel an average of say, 15000km to reach me - and so far they've ALL gotten here with the exception of one surface (seafreight) one - I'll never use seafreight again. Insurance claim was repeatedly investigated and never paid, they simply stopped contacting me about the case. From that day onwards I decided I'd rather spend in the insurance money on express air trackable shipments and get the package faster, better, and with less risk of loss.

UPS delivered 3 packages recently, 2 were fragile electronics (one of which was a digital SLR camera body too!) and they all made it. Credit's got to go to B&H as well for packing 'em like they're being shipped into a war zone..

I would however refuse to sign for an obviously severely damaged package, though. If it looks seriously wrecked, I would ask a few questions (and they'd better have GOOD answers) before I sign.