What did you use your flashlight for today?

ven

Flashaholic
Burning my jumper! yes, princeCvn on turbo setting the turbo timer and had it close to me as Rach having a migraine(shielding the light). I noticed a little smoke followed quickly by the slight burning smell..........no holes so all is good:D

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a scavenger hunt in a science museum during a family party, used my okluma to light up the information next to the exhibits. I think I "need" a mule or to change the lens to a medium frost. The beam was more then adequate, but up close ~2 feet away- was a bit too much.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
House guest left a door open Thursday night and one of my cats decided to go adventuring on one of the colder nights of the year. After futilely searching the neighborhood the next morning, I set up a box with a blanket and put out some food.

After several nights of catching other cats fattening themselves, I happened to glance out before bed and saw both the neighborhood orange cat (who seems to own the place) and another cat. Threw the other cat in the closet (don't need to also be chasing down a black cat at night) and grabbed the nearest flashlight - a mag 3D modded with a luxeon III (was pretty cool back in 2007). Opened the door slowly and the orange cat fled the scene, but the other cat only edged away - blue eyes with a red retina and a stubby tail: my escapee. After some coaxing, he came close enough to apprehend and is now back inside, only a little worse for the wear.

Sadly, the other cat seems to have forgotten his frenemy so I have the pleasure of re-introducing them.

RLDubbya

Newly Enlightened
Nothing fun: I have 3 Alaskan Malamutes and 1 Siberian Husky. I periodically give each of them a close inspection for wounds, ticks, burrs, hotspots, etc. I am currently working on the long hair mal. She weighs a lean, muscular 110lbs with more hair than the bathroom trashcans at The House of The Rising Sun. I use my Fenix headlamp for this chore.

ven

Flashaholic
Nothing fun: I have 3 Alaskan Malamutes and 1 Siberian Husky. I periodically give each of them a close inspection for wounds, ticks, burrs, hotspots, etc. I am currently working on the long hair mal. She weighs a lean, muscular 110lbs with more hair than the bathroom trashcans at The House of The Rising Sun. I use my Fenix headlamp for this chore.

Nothing fun!!!! with 3 alaskan malamutes and a husky, you must have some awesome dog walking uses going:poke: there must never be a dull moment in your house:whistle:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was evaluating a dashcam that clipped onto the rear-view mirror. When I removed it, I bobbled the mount and the black camera tumbled out of my hands with a floomp and disappeared into the darkness. The vehicle's dome light doesn't illuminate the nooks and crannies very well so I couldn't see where it went. I dug out a PD32 and used it to find the camera sitting in the instrument cluster shelf.

RLDubbya

Newly Enlightened
Nothing fun!!!! with 3 alaskan malamutes and a husky, you must have some awesome dog walking uses going:poke: there must never be a dull moment in your house:whistle:

True that. They get walked just about every night. I skipped last night, but my wife got them out. We've had some interesting times - before high-powered lights were so common, we had 1000 lumen headlamps. We were routinely pulled over by LEOs who somehow thought that I was spotting deer and using the malamutes to run them down.

We have made absolutely sure to not permit boredom to sink in, as we have 3 cats too. The dogs are all cat killers. It's a mix of which Marlin Perkins would be proud.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Been using my SureFire EB1 as my main light for foot-patrols at night. Client has a huge parking lot. The lights switch off at 1am. But due to cheapness and negligence, the client leaves the South gate open all the time, with no security officer in the guard-booth. Yup! Literally anyone can drive in at any time. Oh, and since the North and West doors to the building are broken and haven't been fixed in years, literally anyone can walk in too. Plus, doesn't have to be through the South side either as the pedestrian gate over at the North East corner of the huge darkened lot is never locked.

With regards to the SF EB1 though, it and the EB2 are the only newer SF lights that I like. The absolute lack of checkering on what I call the newer generation of SFs is just plain idiotic. Though no disputing the excellent amount of throw from my little EB1. Plus, you don't get a pencil-thin beam either. Very nice. I've recently become more inclined towards throw, for my main EDC light. If I reach for a light, it's likely going to be while outdoors at night. If I need flood, I've got my little keychain light for that. Bought the EB1 as a Christmas gift for myself a year ago. Maybe two. I'm getting old and forgetful as I yell at kids to get off my lawn. ;)

I didn't appreciate its beam back then. I do now. Going to be awhile before I stop EDCing it this time around.

ven

Flashaholic
Cool stuff moncrom. as most of my work uses are close up stuff, triples/mules work for me. But i do ponder a different job/use and how my taste would change towards a different beam depending on application(become more biased maybe). I guess we get used to a specific type of light because its what gets used regular and simply just works for us. Then when we break out a different type:candle:, it's kind of refreshing and a different appreciation comes in to play. Quality of beam, hot spot and spill along with tint................and different UI and form.

:)

Fredo1

Newly Enlightened
I received a new toy today so basically I just played with it. It's an Acebeam K70vn XHP35-6500 HI. My house backs up to the woods so it's a great spot to try out high powered lights. It's a real powerhouse thrower. It was actually better than I expected. I took my Nitecore MH40GT which is a nice light but no comparison to the K70. Very nice light.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Love, love, love those EB1's Monocrom. I do like their G2x Pro as a house light since it starts on the 15-20 (forget actual number) low setting.
But yeah, the EB1 has such a good throw. I never considered the 2 because of the variety of 2 cell throwers I have. Plus the 1 has enough "substance" to easily find it and deploy it in hurried situations. But you're right it does have a less that max grippy body.

A buddy of mine sent me a text recently saying "it's official, I'm a flashlight junkie."
He said he was driving down the road and heard his little 1x123 that just fallen from his pocket hit the floor between the seats of his van. So he pulls over and deploys his 1xAAA from his car keys and 'whoops... dropped it too'. Apparently it's one of those vehicles where the void between the seats is a darkened abyss of small item eating bottomless-ness. So he said he reached in his other pocket and pulls out his 1xAA and 'fumble fingers strikes again' scenario... light #3 was swallowed up by the gap between the seats. By then he's angry but was taking his wife out to dinner. She says "calm down, here" and shines her 1x triple A light down into the cavern to reveal those 3 he'd dropped.
Soon they were on their way again according to the text(s).

I don't know whether to be happy or sad with that story. I'm glad to have played a role in him finding his dropped flashlights as the 1x triple A was a gift to his wife... but at the same time there's another junkie running around and I'm afraid those lights are all gateways to his family becoming tint snobs. lol

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. :)

BTW, never thought of a wife as a flashlight accessory.... Best flashlight holder, ever? Looks like it. Might just have to get me one of those. I hear they're rather expensive though. :D

ncgrass

Enlightened
A flashlight holder... I've recently convinced my gf to carry around a small Fenix light saying it's helpful for her to have during winter. Never thought of her as a holder haha

I used my hds to light up my tent site the other night while I used my bravo to chip ice off the poles in order to fold em down. Both performed admirably though it's time for the hds to get a new battery. It's been the perfect light to have while camping.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. :)

BTW, never thought of a wife as a flashlight accessory.... Best flashlight holder, ever? Looks like it. Might just have to get me one of those. I hear they're rather expensive though. :D

The wife part aint so expensive. She holds up her end of the deal in most cases.
The expensive part occurs when the judge takes her side in a divorce dispute saying "she has a lifestyle to maintain" lol.

"Tis better to hold your own flashlight than deal with a quarrelsome wife."
- me a year after my first one ran off with the janitor.

She's still mad 20+ years later. Maybe it was the "you know something, it only costs me X number of dollars a month to be rid of ya" quips.. or the "I hear dude got locked up. I'm having personalized license plates made.. tell to spell my name right please"...

BTT:
Last night I used a 675 lumen flashlight to find a crayon under the sofa.
And my wife has a Keymate on the zipper pull of her purse to use to find her other flashlights inside her purse.
Now that's a keeper!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
S1lva mule p60 in a C2 to let the dog out.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet
Had to google fu and WOW how cool are those mules, i have the 219B flavour of OR's

and love it!!! so damn useful! Lives in a z2 though................

no real reason and i do swap them about. Right now a c2 has a triple in.............love c2's!!

tex.proud

Enlightened
Well I WAS on a camping trip. I was car camping at Huntsville State Park, and it was my first time to use a new tent. The Field & Stream Wilderness Cabin 6. The day had gone great! The weather was Perfect! UNTIL! A front came in. I had expected temperatures to drop and planned for it, but I didn't expect the wind that accompanied it. I had spent the afternoon chillin' in my chair in front of the tent facing the lake. I used the time to play with my new LTWK Genesis. As the evening came I started a fire with that knife and a ferro rod for practice. Things were wonderful. Then the front. I added extra lines and stakes to the tent to batten it down, and layed down on my cot with the heater running to get out of the sleet around 9pm. Luckily my ZL H600w MKIII was handy. The wind was gusting high enough to snap the poles in my tent. The shattered fiberglass then cut through the tent like a knife on a mission, and it completely collapsed with me inside. I turned on my headlamp to first scurry to the heater and turn it off. Don't need to add fire to the mix. Then find my way out of the pile of zippers and tent that entombed me. Having a light on my head with both hands available was incredibly helpful in this task. Although holding a light in my mouth may have benefitted nearby campers, as my frustration vented in a not-so-nice manner. My bad. Then in the sleet and wind that would almost blow you over with a gust, I broke camp using the same light.

I don't wish ill will on anyone, but it was oddly comforting to see that I wasn't the only one having a hard time, as others were breaking camp also. The family next to me were in a RV, but I handed the father my ArmyTek Prime Pro v3, and we gathered everything that wasn't tied down. Had to chase a chair across the park.

Got everything back in the truck and headed home. Can't beat Mother Nature. I could have slept in the truck, but I only live 15 minutes from the park.

Latest posts