What did you use your flashlight for today?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last Monday (6/19) I celebrated my first day of that career beginning in 1983, 1 week after graduating high school. A career that began with re-painting arrows in turn lanes, changing light bulbs in traffic signals and such as a summer job that still hasn't ended.
I went to college after work to become an architect some day and later switched over to roadway related engineering. Never could get excited about an office job so quality control (and now project management) resulted.
There is something special about being baked all summer when not being chased by yellow jackets, or popsicled all winter while some child engineer says "I don't know your job but my book says you're doing it wrong" versus sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer screen while co-workers complain their new chair is the wrong shade of brown..... or sneeze n cough all day while sharing the latest version of the flu their kid picked up at daycare.

It's surprising to hear stories of others "in the field" who share similar history and just prefer being outdoors for a living.

Tonight I used a flashlight to find a dropped screw from eyeglasses I was repairing. It's amazing how long you can search for something inches from you and not see it until shining a light on it.

irongate

Enlightened
Last Monday (6/19) I celebrated my first day of that career beginning in 1983, 1 week after graduating high school. A career that began with re-painting arrows in turn lanes, changing light bulbs in traffic signals and such as a summer job that still hasn't ended.
I went to college after work to become an architect some day and later switched over to roadway related engineering. Never could get excited about an office job so quality control (and now project management) resulted.
There is something special about being baked all summer when not being chased by yellow jackets, or popsicled all winter while some child engineer says "I don't know your job but my book says you're doing it wrong" versus sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer screen while co-workers complain their new chair is the wrong shade of brown..... or sneeze n cough all day while sharing the latest version of the flu their kid picked up at daycare.

It's surprising to hear stories of others "in the field" who share similar history and just prefer being outdoors for a living.

Tonight I used a flashlight to find a dropped screw from eyeglasses I was repairing. It's amazing how long you can search for something inches from you and not see it until shining a light on it.

Wow you are young there kid-LOL Wait till you get old and need two flashlights to find something on the floor, that's life .:twothumbs

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I used the led on my phone to read a bedtime story to the kids. It was melt down time and the best light is the one you have on you. A face down phone is a decent tailstanding light.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Last Monday (6/19) ...changing light bulbs in traffic signals...

What is the voltage rating on those bulbs? I remember running across some traffic signal bulbs a long time ago and they had an odd voltage, slightly higher than regular mains voltage. They're also used for tower lighting because of their longevity.

And congratulations on your work anniversary. Your work helps keep the rest of us safe. :thumbsup:

lidspinner

Newly Enlightened
Used my olight sr10 to work under a car....was at a friends garage and of course no one had a light other than a shop light that was bigger than the car...lol.

My friends laugh at me for having a flashlight as part of my edc but slowly one by one I have started seeing them do the same.

tomasaur

Newly Enlightened
Looking under the steam engine of a 1906 steam boat for a dropped nut. I work at the Mystic Seaport Maritime Museum and use my 4Sevens Mini every day. It's a great little edc.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good story lidspinner. You too tomasaur.

Welcome aboard fellows!
Perhaps you guys won't mind digging up the "where you got your screen name from" thread in the "Cafe" section?

What is the voltage rating on those bulbs? I remember running across some traffic signal bulbs a long time ago and they had an odd voltage, slightly higher than regular mains voltage. They're also used for tower lighting because of their longevity.

And congratulations on your work anniversary. Your work helps keep the rest of us safe. :thumbsup:

150 watt 125 volts iirc. Perhaps 200 volts? I remember my supervisor, a nice old gentleman who showed a lot of patience with my dum@$$ back then explaining the difference between why some things were labled 110 volts but ran on 125 volts... some things were labled 200 or 220 volts but ran off 250 volts... but frankly that was millions of dead brain cells ago. I do remember they looked like gigantic flashlight bulbs. ( ginormous E10 based #14's).

Last edited:

OEOE

Newly Enlightened
It was actually a few months ago but I just recently joined and thought you guys would appreciate this. I'm a pilot and was in the departure area of a small, general aviation airport on a dark and stormy night when a lightning strike took out the lights. It was pitch black and the dozen or so people there were getting uneasy when I hit the tailcap clicky on my olight M20-X warrior that I carry in an open holster on my belt. The light on the white ceiling was almost as bright as the fluorescents that had gone out. I love flashlights and I'm never without one. :laughing:

sbslider

Enlightened
Used my Manker E02 nichia 219 in turbo mode to provide some indirect lighting for a family photo. The tail magnet came in handy to attach the light to the curtain rod near the ceiling near our photo spot. The right tool at the right time :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It was actually a few months ago but I just recently joined and thought you guys would appreciate this. I'm a pilot and was in the departure area of a small, general aviation airport on a dark and stormy night when a lightning strike took out the lights. It was pitch black and the dozen or so people there were getting uneasy when I hit the tailcap clicky on my olight M20-X warrior that I carry in an open holster on my belt. The light on the white ceiling was almost as bright as the fluorescents that had gone out. I love flashlights and I'm never without one. :laughing:

Welcome aboard flight CPF. Great story.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Had the opportunity to use 3 of my lights while on a family farm last weekend. From the MH20 to search stuff in die fields at night, to the S1 for general walking around outside, to the H1 Nova for skinning of game after the setting sun caught us.

Fantastic weekend outdoors, made more enjoyable (on a personal level) by the three lights I carried.

david57strat

Enlightened

M20-X - brings back memories. My M20-X was the very first 186550 light I ever purchased, about five years ago. Built like a tank!

The holster is particularly useful, in that it has a cut-out on the bottom, so the light can be activated, without even removing it from the holster- nice option to have, when navigating a path, or something, and wanting something down-firing light, hands-free. I have several of these holsters. They work very well with a number of P60 lights.

Last edited:

woodpeck

Newly Enlightened
Last night, went to the bathroom and didn't want to turn on the light to wake up my son.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Tonight at work we discovered a mystery hole in the edge of the road next to a storm drain.

5 guys are looking into a dark crevice with their energizer headlamps with 3 night old batteries (read; pretty dim)
One guy says "that Inspector has a flashlight". Other guy says "pfft, he's got 4 or 5"...
I whip out the ole PKDL FL2 and light up the night. I heard 'wolf whistles' "holy crap" and "see I told you". lol

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
They call me inspector gadget because I carry all kinds of stuff on my person most people don't think about. Last night I had 5 flashlights with me... 5. lol. Plus a temperature gun with a laser pointer, an inkpen with a flashlight, nail clippers, knives, flashdrives, multi-tool, ear plugs, aloe vera chapstick for burns, mosquito repelent moist towelettes, cash, coins and a bottle of water all in my front pockets.... well the pen was in my shirt pocket with a combo pen/pencil, 2 bic lighters and a celphone with all kinds of work specific apps.
I can identify myself

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
This past weekend I had the Srt7gt on me that I recently reviewed. We were vacationing with friends at a rented vacation house with a pool.

Well, the outdoor rope lights didn't work and the pool light we couldn't figure out how to turn on.

So I set the Srt7gt on the steps at one end, about 1.5 ft underwater, and turned on the blue. Worked great for lighting the 12x24' pool with a soft glow.

Green also worked (but nobody loves green water). Red wasn't bright enough.

After about 3 hours the light was doing great, so I ended up doing it again the following evening. No issues or water ingress.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Cool!!

Tonight I used my Malkoff'd Laser Products 6P beater to see what the machine that eats asphalt and drinks jet fuel had been up to...
The W beam gives a good idea of details.

To the left is before, to the right after.
Basically it cuts off the top of the road and they put it back with new blacktop the next night.

YAK-28

Enlightened
used my klarus mi7 to light the steps in the theater for the little old lady behind me on the way out of the wonder woman showing yesterday.