What did you use your flashlight for today?

nbp

Flashaholic
Monocrom said:
5 minutes ago I used my Lowes 2C Task Force LED light to check out a rather disturbing sound in my home.

Turned out to be nothing.

It had to be SOMETHING. Sounds don't make themselves...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It had to be SOMETHING. Sounds don't make themselves...

Plastic bowl with a handle. Left on the window sil. Window was open. It was windy last night. Real windy . . .

It was a nice bowl. Plastic clearly way too brittle. :(

Mortalkombat68

Newly Enlightened
Found an airleak on an old beat up Sterling dump truck with my handy 4AA SL propolymer Luxeon and the trusty old squirt bottle.

Richub

Enlightened
Used my Fenix E11 to illuminate the bathroom last night. The bulb blew again, and as there are no more 'normal' incandescent bulbs for sale here, I'm effectively left in the dark in my bathroom. :(
Those compact fluorescent lights (which are standard issue here now) can't be used in a humid bathroom, due to their high currents.

If only those LED bulbs got a little less expensive here, I'd buy one. But not at a price of over $50...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Richub,

In my bathroom there is a fixture with two bulbs and a dish shaped piece of glass. I have had compact flourescents in that fixture since shortly after we moved in. No problems.

Hope this helps!

Did use ConneXion about 2AM...

Richub

Enlightened
Thanks for that reply, buy I already had a compact fluorescent in there last year.
After a week or so it began to buzz/hiss so loud I could easily hear it. Given my decreased hearing (I'm pretty close to needing hearing aids now) it must have been pretty loud.
So I thought it wouldn't be safe keeping it in there. Showers and rogue electricity don't mix well.

I just might try a different brand now, maybe that one will do better. Until then, a tailstanding TK45 on my laundry machine will be a sufficient light source in my bathroom. ;)

Acid87

Enlightened
I used my L1 Lumamax in my car boot to light up the area as I was loading some groceries for my mum. The light in my boot is goosed and a good excuse to use my light.

nbp

Flashaholic
I have those curly CFLs in my bathroom too with no problems. Maybe just a bum bulb you had there?

2mnycars

Newly Enlightened
Working at construction sites, a flashlight is essential. As I get older, I need light for simple chores--kitchen cupboard search for instance. I am lost without my little Leatherman!
DaveL
Toronto

Richub

Enlightened
Used my TK35 to light up the neighbor's garden after hearing people talking there. Since the neighbor is in hospital, I didn't expect to hear anyone there...
Turned out to be a couple of policemen investigating a possible burglary there earlier while I was asleep. They had finished the investigation, and had a quick smoke in the garden before reporting back at the station. They were surprised by the light, but complimented me on looking after the neighbors house while she's gone.

As for the light bulb in my bathroom: After a Google search, I found a brand which has special CFLs for bathroom use. I'll get one tomorrow.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
used mine to rewire an A/V rack this afternoon. tailstanding came in handy and the clip was useful in keeping it from rolling away.

cheeseychung

Newly Enlightened
Used my Streamlight Pt1L to look into my cars door panel and fix a window that had fallen off the track.

tony613

Newly Enlightened

Well, two things actually.

First, I used my Liteflux LF2XT for road bicycling, but in a slightly different way.

The Liteflux isn't powerful enough to illuminate the road ahead on its own so this light is not used for that. Instead, it is used to be seen, rather than to see. With all of its programability, I set the LF2XT to two different strobe modes depending on the situation, because as you know the strobe is very effective at attracting attention.

With a lanyard attached to the light's pocket clip, I attach the lanyard to a small carabiner on the back of my bicycle helmet. I then place the light inside of an old prescription pill bottle and secure the bottle to the light using a highly scientific continuous loop of elastic polymer (i.e. a rubber band) - not pretty but it's secure and works well for me. :twothumbs Plus if it breaks, the only thing I'll lose is the pill bottle.

With the lanyard and flashlight securely attached to the helmet, I slide the bottle into a velcro strap made into a loop at the front and side of the helmet. Here it sits, turned off, while ambient light and visibility are good:

The light gets turned on if traffic is very heavy or once light begins to fade. If riding on a road with many intersections, where I want drivers to see me coming at them, I leave the light on the front of my helmet:

If however I'm on a long road with no intersections, I want the drivers to see me as they approach me from behind so I slip the light out of the loop and let it rest down the center of my back, like so:

With the flashlight inside the bottle, it kinda' looks like a glow tube on steroids. Of course, as a comparison, when not inside the bottle, you can't even see it from the side:

Inside the bottle, and not :)

Oh, and the other thing I used it for was to clean up dog droppings after dark.

PS: Although I've been a member for nearly two years, and have read more selfbuilt than Stephen King, this is my first post. I must say this a very respectful and friendly forum. :wave:

Last edited:

Lj-_-

Newly Enlightened
I used my Tk35 to light up my neighbours garden too, but not from cause of suspicious activities but to shut the kids up that were camping there and had been talking, shouting and laughing till 2 in the morning :scowl:

tam17

Enlightened

First, I used my Liteflux LF2XT for road bicycling, but in a slightly different way (...)
Now that's called making yourself visible on the road! Many cyclists in my city ride during evening/night without lighting devices at all, and that's sheer madness IMO.

Cheers,

Tam