What did you use your flashlight for today?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my LL T7 to illuminate the inside of the trunk of my car. It helped a lot! Instantly found what I needed!

Either the trunk-light has gotten weaker since I bought my ride nearly 3 years ago, or my eyes are accustomed to brighter lights . . . Or I'm getting old ahead of my time.

Ref the _fact_ of needing more light as we get older: My ophthalmologist repeatedly reminds this moldyoldy that as the body ages, the lens in the eye gradually "yellows", which means that more light is needed to pass thru the lens for the same image, even before the aging of the rods/cones is taken in to account. I am amused by all these flashaholics who insist on lights with 0.1 lumens and less. Wait a few years and they can move the lumens decimal point to the right at least one place. :)

For that matter, with 3 cats in the house that tend to leave interesting objects scattered around the floor of the house, I need more lumens anyway - like about 10 or so - just to ensure that I do not step on, or perhaps "in to" something on the floor. 2 of the cats are from a daughter currently out of the US. stepping in to cat puke with bare feet in the middle of the night will ruin at least an hour of sleep!

other than nocturnal meanderings, cleaning up the cat litter scattered on the basement floor is an exercise for a flashlight laid on the floor and a dustbuster. I run down the batteries for both every day!

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
Used my Xtar TZ-50 whilst exercising the dog in a park, got dark quicker than we thought! Worked great for keeping track of the dog and shining in dark corners! I was surprised though how many others were out walking their dogs and had no lights at all!

The Xtar also came in handy when we got back to the car and I realised the key had dropped out of my pocket.... retraced my steps and thankfully found the key on the otherwise pitch-black path in the park!

garrybunk

Newly Enlightened
Fired up a (2) D cell Maglite (incandescent) to see how pitiful it looks compared to my beginning LED collection. Oh my! And I used to think these bad boys were da bomb! I actually just picked up the new Maglite for my first mod, but wanted to try it as is first. Did spot quite a few deer in the backyard.

Garry

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
We had a food shopping delivery last night, and the driver had no working lights in the back of his refrigerated van. I left my SC51w tailstanding on the floor and it illuminated the inside very nicely. Once the driver had finished in the back he gave me the light back and said "That's some torch you've got there!" :thumbsup:

varmint

Enlightened
Last night I had my fresh charged Streamlight Strion in the hiwind and blowing rain checking cattle, I had recently been using my TN11 and really could tell the difference in the 2, the Strion id a very good light, very light weight but don't compare with the output of the TN11 which I have got used to.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I used my Thrunite Scorpion as an offroad highbeam for the bike. That thing keeps impressing me even though I have it for quite some time now!

Acid87

Enlightened
Used my Fenix TK30 hanging from rafters in an attic to help light the area while helping my friend floor his loft.
Also used my HDS 120 clicky to check out a cave while out for a walk.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Ref the _fact_ of needing more light as we get older: My ophthalmologist repeatedly reminds this moldyoldy that as the body ages, the lens in the eye gradually "yellows", which means that more light is needed to pass thru the lens for the same image, even before the aging of the rods/cones is taken in to account. I am amused by all these flashaholics who insist on lights with 0.1 lumens and less. Wait a few years and they can move the lumens decimal point to the right at least one place. :)

I noticed this when I had cataract surgery - it took a long time to get used to how *yellow* everything looked out of the non-surgical eye. It was like looking through a quarter-inch of apple juice, when compared to my new plastic lens. So, I don't complain about the tint of LEDs - what I tint I see depends on which eye I'm using.

Bill

( who used his flashlight for checking that the clean socks this morning really were blue.)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Performing a search and beat operation of roaches in the storage shed that was flooded out several weeks ago.... it was as if the smell of rotting cardboard, wood, and oil slick gathered all the roaches on the lot. It was messy, but had to be done.

Burgess

Flashaholic
VERY early this morning -- perhaps 2 A.M. . . . .

Wearing my ZebraLight H51fw, set on Low-Low, which ZL claims is 0.2 Lumens O.T.F.

I read our Daily newspaper, then solved the Sudoku puzzle,
the Celebrity Cipher, and also the Crossword puzzle !

Most challenging was the Crossword, cuz' the type size is the smallest. :eek:

BTW -- i'm 58 years old, and had Cataract Surgery (both eyes) last year.

Still require reading glasses, since i cannot focus closer than about 40 centimeters (16 inches).

nilfire77

Newly Enlightened
I used my Klarus Mi X6 for some cleaning up of my cpu tower.. Sweet lil 1xAAA flashlight I would say!

Slider817

Newly Enlightened
Fianally the really low mode on Quark Mini 123 became very much needed, I had a bit of surgery on my foot, and to see the area clearly a very low light output was needed