What is best LED flashlight in the $300 range

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I could see is that all manufacturers have their problems....you could buy the best quality and most reliable flashlight, but you may still get a defective flashlight, battery, switch, LED, etc. (example...Pelican M6-batteries explode...who knows why?, Fenix-Switch does not work..Why?, Surefire-Broken tailcap...why?, Gladius- Switch problem and level adjustment problem...why? I have read problems on just about all of the different manufacturers....there are alot of U2 owners out there which says something about Surefire quality and reliability.) I am also loyal to Streamlight for reliability and quality.
I recommend the Surefire U2, because it fits the bill of long runtime, brightness and is reliable.

Long John said:
Hello Cheapo and FlashKat:)

I know that my statement was critical (a lot U2 owners here:whistle:).

But take a look what I said:"....The U2 could but it's IMO too unreliable with all their problems."
So the U2 could fit the bill. It's bright and has the requested runtime. BUT like you said FlashKat, there were problems with the tailcap. For me it's unreliable to get a broken tailcap in a situation where I must trust my light. And then it's useless for me to send the tailcap to SF (or call them) and wait (in my case now 2 months after 2 E-mails and 3 calls, still waiting) for another one.
Also for changing the brightness levels to twist the head is not reliable. (here are reports about this).

I'm really glad that you are happy with your U2's and I'll hope it will be still so in the future.
But I does'nt want recommend that light, if a thread starter is looking for a reliable light with the title to:"....best quality light".

Best regards

____
Tom

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lincoln said:
The U2 looks like what I need - I'll order direct from SF. Even is there was a reliability problem with the U2, wouldn't SF have fixed it by now ???? - Can anyone speculate when SF might upgrade to an even more efficient LED?

I don't think it is any advantage of buying directly from SF. If you can buy it locally at the same price you can test the light to get good tint and nice beam. You also get to test the tailcap to check that it is ok.

If you want to spend less money on a U2 use OpticsHQ or Lighthound, both are great dealers who would probably take care of you faster than SF could.
You can also ask if they stock the older version that can use 18650 Li-ions for longer runtimes than 2 normal cr123s.

Just my opinion.

PS! I love my U2, take a look at Chevrofreaks graphs for using cheap rechargeable Li-ions.

PPS! Someone posted that SF were out of U2s at the moment and would need a few weeks to restock

Sverre

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lincoln said:
I'm new to CPF, but have had a SF 6P for years. The quality of light with the SF 6P is what I'm looking for in an LED - but I don't know if there is any LED out there yet that gets close to that light quality. My problem with the 6P and 9P is that the run times are so short. I live about 30 miles from the Gulf Coast, so what I need is an emergency indoor/outdoor LED flashlight for hurricanes (with runtime in the 20+ hour range). I have an Amondotech HID spotlight for big outdoor problems after storms, but it is way too heavy and too bright for 99% of uses. I also have natural gas generator and, as backup, several lanterns (including a Ray-O-Vac 360 that runs on 4 6v batteries), so the general lighting base is covered. I have a Fenix L2P, but it's light quality is not nearly what I need in the the light quality area - i.e. it is not good enough for me to always distinguish and/or recognize everything I need to, even when I'm close to the object being viewed. I really woudl like something much brighter than the Fenix L2P, in the 100 lumans output+ area. As mentioned, weight is not much of a factor, and something in the 10 oz to 14 oz range is not a problem. What I'm looking for is a LED that something that approches or is equivelent to the SF 6P & 9P in most every way a flashlight can be measured, except has a much longer run time. And if something like that in an LED does not exist, what is the closest thing to it, in the $300 range. Thank you.

20 Hours, 100 + lumens. Well, it used to be more than $100 retail but you can find these for about $75 now from Amondotech, Aventrade and a good source here on CPF, forgot who it is but search the key word TM-800x3. I think it is a sleeper that did not catch on so a few places are dumping inventory. I love mine for utility purposes you describe. It is decent quality.

This is a Nuwai Tri-lux III light made for them by Shyguang, 3D body but usually works better on 4 rechargeable Cs as Shyguang apparently used their 4D head on both a 4 and 3 D model. I have not found the 4-cell model in the US yet, so I run 4 Cs in the 3D.

The light runs 1-2 or 3 of the LEDs determined by successive presses of the switch and the manufacturer rates it at 10-15-20 hours, at least my does on 4 high capacities NiMh Cs and it appears to run 80-160-220 lumens (in theory this should be 240, I do not think mine is there). This is a very versital light to meet variable conditions. Something to consider all of my lights 3D or larger I put on a two tigh point strap, easier to use both hands that way.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
Lincoln said:
In the $300 price range, I'm looking for a regulated LED flashlight that has the best quality light (if possible, something in the neighborhood of the quality of a SF incondesent - if that exists) and the longest life avaiable in the price range. It would be used both indoors and outdoors - about equally. Weight or size is not much of an issue - so a 3 battery or more is OK. The light must run on litihium AA or 123a batteries. Do not need to ever use rechagables. Could someone suggest a LED light in this category? Thank you.

We have flashlights up to about $450, and if you work in a clean-room and can't use anodized aluminum bodies (nice Mags), we can have the Maglite acid etched and then nickel plated for an additional charge :) If you are looking for a regulated white LED flashlight featuring Nichia white LEDs, it would be less than $300 even acid bathed and plated :)

Piers

Piers

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK they aren't actually available right now but the HDS EDC lights are very reliable multi level lights. When they are re-released under the new name (Novatac) get the Fat head 2xCR123 body version. I think its called the HD (heavy Duty) or something like that. They also have a LR coming out (long range).

The other thing you should really consider is a headlamp. A headlamp is a godsend in a emergency if you plan on using your hands to do anything. I really can't understand the popularity of handhelds, unless you want to be able to use it to bash someone.:twak:

The PT APEX fits your needs pretty well. At around $80 its one of the best and brightest consumer LED headlamps on the market. The Stenlight S7 Helmet light can run on 6AAs and puts out over a 100 lumens and can dim down as well. Its designed for cavers and they don't have a good headstrap yet.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you may want to hold off for a few days before making your purchase as there appears to be a new sheriff in town with the advent of the Cree LED. When this gets incorporated in some new lights, then I think your question can be safely answered.

For my money today, I will say that the U2 is the best all around light and for more pocketable lights, I would say the McLux PD or the HDS EDC 60GT or XRGT are at the top of the heap.

-Goatee

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)> said:
I think that you may want to hold off for a few days...
A few days? How long have the K2 samples been out? How many flashlights out there use it? It might be worth waiting for something you know is going to happen like EDC85 or a 3 stage P1. But the cree is an unknow at this point.
The cree has a 70deg beam angle. This means not much light hitting the reflector. I suspect any light using it will produce a weird floody beam with no spill. I'm not saying thats bad if its what you want, but I don't think it will be a huge success, unless somebody comes out with a good optic.

Cave "if Columbus had waited he could of flown" Dave

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Although I agree with Cave Dave about the wait being more than a few days for having anymore than a couple of options with Cree XR-E's, I wouldn't say that the Cree is an unknown at all.

With all the testing that has already happened by Wayne, Newbie and Don (and others), and the fact that people already have received lights from the Shoppe with Cree XR-E's in them (mine is on the way), and the results are all the real thing, it's not just unfulfilled anticipation like the K2 was... this is just the opposite. As far thinking that it'd be a "weird floody beam with no spill" - did you check out Don's beamshots? I'd call that a really usefull beam - awesome throw, awesome spill... but that's me. :shrug:

I think someone else has already said it best - it's everything that the K2 should have been.

john

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave said:
A few days? How long have the K2 samples been out? How many flashlights out there use it? It might be worth waiting for something you know is going to happen like EDC85 or a 3 stage P1. But the cree is an unknow at this point.
The cree has a 70deg beam angle. This means not much light hitting the reflector. I suspect any light using it will produce a weird floody beam with no spill. I'm not saying thats bad if its what you want, but I don't think it will be a huge success, unless somebody comes out with a good optic.

Cave "if Columbus had waited he could of flown" Dave

A few days is a relative term:grin2:

I do think that this LED will find its way to market much faster than the HDS or the Kroma did. In fact, I believe that some lights using the Cree are already up for sale from the Sandwich Shoppe. My money will wait for at least a 2-stage current regulated version.

None of the other lights that I mentioned are slouches that's for sure!

I would just offer that if a person can wait and / or is limited in funding waiting might be the best bet especially since the Cree is being touted by the foremost experts among us as the next great think. I have not seen much hype coming from McGizmo but he seems to think pretty highly of this new LED even with the lower bins being the only available bins.

-Goatee

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lincoln said:
In the $300 price range, I'm looking for a regulated LED flashlight that has the best quality light...longest life avaiable in the price range. It would be used both indoors and outdoors - about equally. Weight or size is not much of an issue...Do not need to ever use rechagables...
IMO given your criteria there's no question -- the Surefire U2.

I have the U2, A2, E2E, HDS U60, Fire~FlyIII, etc.

The U2 will run for 40 hours at the lowest setting, which is still pretty bright. Regulation is excellent.

There have been several "infant mortality" failures reported on the U2, but Surefires have a lifetime warranty and they'll fix whatever goes wrong. Most owners report good long term reliability after the "break in" period.

Re the Cree XR-E emitter, it looks very impressive, and if you can wait several months (maybe many months) the major manufacturers will likely have out versions using that. However the emitter beam pattern requires different optical management, so it's not a quick "drop in" replacement for existing Lumileds designs.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will buy more then 1 light with $300.

then i will have more toys!...

but if you have more then 1 light that uses cr123 and you plan on using non rechargeables..., you will go broke.

g_man

Newly Enlightened
What about one of the WiseLED lights? Maybe the Adept or Stealth.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 300$ price ceiling gives you quite a few options since as many have mentioned, they could acquire more than one, maybe several nice LED lights. The U2 is a good choice, especially coming from Joema - he has done several reviews on the lights he listed. An even better option is get an older style U2 that can accept the 18650 rechargeable cell. You will not regret having the ability to recharge. Cr123s are great but they are costly in the long run. Starting with that price will save you lots of time avoiding lower quality lights out there but you will also miss half the fun experimenting. Don't worry about buying cheaper lights. Once you outgrow them, you can easily sell in the B/S/T forum. Now with all that said, once you have seen the rest, you can get the best in the form of a custom light made by several great modders on this forum: MAC, Icarus (Freddy), Milkyspit just to name a few. From what I have seen so far, they are the most trusted modders who do some of the best work. I recently acquired from Mac a Trilux in a chopped Mag C body that runs on 2 RCR123 that is whiter and brighter than my previously brightest LED, the HD45 X bin. So, as you can see, your question has opened a large can of worms and your spending limit will be tested, I guarantee it!

Lincoln said:
In the $300 price range, I'm looking for a regulated LED flashlight that has the best quality light (if possible, something in the neighborhood of the quality of a SF incondesent - if that exists) and the longest life avaiable in the price range. It would be used both indoors and outdoors - about equally. Weight or size is not much of an issue - so a 3 battery or more is OK. The light must run on litihium AA or 123a batteries. Do not need to ever use rechagables. Could someone suggest a LED light in this category? Thank you.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manufacturer: Surefire Kroma, U2, L6
Custom: McGizmo PD or 27LT
Modded: Talk to MilkySpit- select your specific attributes (run-time, output) and watch Scott work his magic.

I'm leaning more and more on working with modders as I can select the exact attributes I want, binning, etc.

Latest posts