what is the best SMALL luxeon light

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
stormchaser said:
why not the Nubai Q-III?
more powerful than most

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent light in its class, but the poster in question wants a spot light. The Nuwai Q-III is an excellent combination light (good balance of spot to flood), but definitely not spotty enough for the original poster.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
I have some beamshots that compares some lights in question:
All pics taken with Nikon 5700 F 3.5 / 1 sec / new batteries

Flashlights were placed 35-40 feet from target (water fountain).

Reference Pic (only ambient light present)
referencesmall8fx.jpg

LONGBOW MICRA
longbowmicrasmall0yt.jpg

SFKL1/VGFB1
sfkl1small4bb.jpg

SHARPER IMAGE LUX LIGHT
sharperimagesmall4qp.jpg

INOVA XO3
inovaxo3small4gb.jpg

To me, the KL1 throws more than the micra, but less than the XO3.
The Micra throws less than the KL1, but gives a little bit more spill.

If you want throw go with the KL1/ VG FB1 body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
OP said budget is below $80. That pretty much takes out custom lights... otherwise an Aleph 1 or 3 would fit the bill.

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Funny, nobody's mentioned the Fire Fly... :scratch:

or the Larry-light for that matter (I forget the official name, sorry, Larry).

[/ QUOTE ]

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kl-1 on a vital gear FB-1 body. throw's better then
a T1 my T3, and my HDS basic 60. and the weirdness of the TIROS system is freaky only when used up close on a wall. (too much wall looking we do sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

small and throw either this setup or a custom hi drain head
head on your choice of 1x123 body. VDG

EDIT:
I got three different 4th gen KL-1's all are not the same throw, beam size, or tint. one thing to keep in mind as I have
learned here.the lux lotto is alive and well. in fact my worst tint one (greenish)is the throw king outta all of them.

d'mo

Enlightened
I make a custom AAA luxeon light with not much side spill for $65 that might fit your needs. PM me if you're interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option, and this is more of a custom light I suppose, is the CNC-123.

With a 17mm IMS reflector and a decent "sandwich" module you've got an extremely usable EDC that will measure about 3.375". The price may run up a bit higher than your limit though. I believe someone still has a Blue HA(!) for sale in B/S/T for under $35. PhotonFanatic may have Natural HA for sale as well. Just add in a new sandwich for about $55 and then a lens and kroll (another $10?) and you have an extremely handy and compact EDC with great throw and smooth spill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jon

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED - when has a Fire Fly ever sold for under $80? If they do I'd go for one in a heartbeat.
cheapo - I don't know why you would quibble over $18 for the E1L - or $10 since I know where you may get one for $90 possibly and that includes shipping. I got mine from LAPolicegear for $98 and than included shipping as well as 5 Surefire CR123's. Just checked - sorry the guy that had them at $90 is temporarily out of them. Not sure if that will repeat but I'd bet you will find them soon on Ebay at a similar discount.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well guys, I like the Q3, but it is in fact too floody for me. I would like something with the beam quality and throw of LED Xtreme predator or KL1. Also T3 has some good throw. Anybody have a Streamlight TL-2 gen2?

-David

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapo - I haven't seen tons and tons of lights yet, but if you could bend the rule just another .4", I have seen an Inova T2 and would give the nod to that.
Brighter and further throw than the T1, .6" shorter than the T3, a huge runtime advantage over both, plus I've seen it as low as $42 (plus shipping) on the net. I also think it looks pretty damn sharp.
It certainly fits the bill as far as throw with no spill but to be honest, I find nothing unpleasant about using it indoors, even pointing up at the ceiling... the ambient lighting from it substitutes for spill in a way, and the spot does spread out with distance. And maybe the owner got lucky, but I really haven't observed the harsh rings that many seem to make a big deal about.
But, this is about a small throw light. It works quite well outdoors for backyards, etc... medium range I suppose. If you can deal with it being 5.9", the T2 should do the trick.
I've really been itching for a T3, but other expenses lay claim to the wallet right now.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want it to be 5.5 inches at most. But the T2 doesnt quite throw well enough. I want something that throws at least as far as E1L. Somethng like the T3, but smaller.

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
CNC-123!

Ooops, did I already say that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3.375" OAL, protected clickie, interchangeable light modules, interchangeable optics and reflectors, Type III hard anodized with corrosion resistant internal coating. The original sales post is here.

NetMage

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
well guys, I like the Q3, but it is in fact too floody for me. I would like something with the beam quality and throw of LED Xtreme predator or KL1. Also T3 has some good throw. Anybody have a Streamlight TL-2 gen2?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Some have replaced the reflector in the Q-III to improve the throw - supposed to make it much better and still cheap.

Latest posts