What is the Rolex of Flashlights?

DRW

Enlightened
It is heavy, dim, and takes forever to charge. I regret buying one.
In the 80s/90s it was a good piece of kit. We had banks of them. Charge time was not an issue and I don't recall wishing they were brighter. Yes they are heavy and worked well to block blows/swings.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think Rolex is less of a tool watch now than in the past, excepting a few models.
Personally, I primarily wear a Bertucci, it's the Peak LED of watches. 😊
Honestly, yeah.... That sounds spot-on!

Buff

Enlightened
They were used as tool watches a long time ago. Soldiers during Vietnam could buy Rolex watches at the PX and would wear them in combat. Of course they didn't cost very much back then.
I had a 1989 Rolex Submariner i paid $1600 for and sold for $1600, 2 years later when a baby and a work layoff made it inevitable. The watch was 3 mortgage payments.😢 or a lot of diapers and formula. That watch is worth 8-10k now depending on where the market is.
I doubt many flashlights will appreciate that much if at all but as they are tools i would say posters hit it on the head. When i say which is like a Rolex i guess like the tool watch stainless steel Rolex version not the gold dress watch version. So that might help narrow it down.
And Rolex manufacturers a ton of watches but demand is so high there are waiting list a mile long.
Demand out paces supply(probably by design) keeping prices way up.
Is there a company like that in lights?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
HDS builds in small batches. Not to keep prices up but because it's a very small manufacturer. Top of the line lighting tools that hold their value well.

Fraz Labs is another top shelf light maker. I think Texas Lumens has closed their doors.

Some old Maglites are commanding several hundred dollars lately.

Last edited:
For your consideration: 😀
Okluma
FrazLabs
Oveready
Prometheus
Cool Fall
YellowDay Energy
McGizmo
Hanko
Dawson Machine Craft (formerly Laulima)
Reaver Arms
Sinner
leo-pointing.jpg

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of colleagues who for special occasions were bought a Rolex. Both initially were thrilled, but later came some 'bumps in the road' namely:

They hadn't reckoned on the cost for regular servicing back at Rolex.
They kept taking their watch off whenever some task was done that may mark it plus it was heavy.
The watches if not worn then stopped as they needed to he worn to wind.
The timekeeping wasn't perfect. the gain or loss of some seconds per day was expected and within tolerances.

So for me who likes a light, accurate, no worry about damaging it watch they held no appeal.

So what Flashlight? Difficult as flashlights are tough tools where function is paramount. But Muyshondt comes to mind.

Buff

Enlightened
All i'm sure are great lights. But the fact that i never heard of any of them means probably not the answer i'm looking for.
It dawned on me that like Rolex a brand love them or hate them almost everyone knows of or has heard the name. Kinda like Harley Davidson love them or hate them same thing. Maybe Mag-lite is the answer i'm seeking. Big company i guess good reputation and everyone knows or has heard the name.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd never heard of a Hamilton watch until my dad gave me his grandfather's. Great watch. When he retired his company gave him another one. They're out of my price range but if I could have any watch I'd pick a Hamilton over a Rolex any day.

Same with flashlights. When I first came here I thought Malkoff was a Russian flu virus. I bought an MD-2 hi/lo and never looked back. Since then SureFire, Elzetta, Malkoff, PK Design Lab lights and Maglites are scattered about my home. Streamlight aint bad either.

My daily watch is a Citizen.

Last edited:

DRW

Enlightened
97 post and still no closer to the answer? Or maybe the answer is there is no answer.
Maybe we are comparing apples to oranges?
You started the thread with maglite and I thought ended it in post 94 with maglite. Didn't seem like you wanted another answer.

Last edited: