What is your current EDC Flashlight... and how do you like to carry? Pics :)

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is your current EDC Flashlight... and how do you like to carry?

Hey buddy, you callin' my flashlight small??? :devil: heeheehe

Well.... it IS! haha

CaNo, you know you really do need a Preon, you Quark lover you. :thumbsup:

Is it just me, or is the wide beam from the PreOn just superb? It illuminates your surroundings well, but at the same time still does not sacrifice throw (which is very respectable for a AAA light that doesn't have such a narrow hotspot). But man, oh man, the High mode w/ 10440's is a Screamer!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
CaNo.... like you (and many others I'm sure) I've gotten more enjoyment out of this little Preon 1 with a clicky on a 10440 than any new light I've gotten in quite a while. The output is simply stunning on high and is wonderfully useable on low and medium. Beautiful broad beam and the sheer illumination is still fantastic, despite the breadth of the beam!

I see no reason not to use a 10440 if you like to have that stunning output blast on high available when you want it. The rest of the time low and medium meet most needs quite well. The clicky makes the three modes so easy and quick to use... I can't imagine using this light with the twist tailcap... though it is always available if ever needed, as a backup, should the clicky tailcap fail. And the amazing thing about the clicky... even though it protrudes from the tailcap for extra easy use, you can STILL tail-stand the little bugger!

I'm playing with and constantly using my Preon while the many wonderful other lights I also have are playing second fiddle 99% of the time. I just bought another Preon 1 (with clicky tailcap, of course) for my wife and a Preon 2 body for times when only AAA alkaline is available and I still want a strong punch on high, or I just want the longer runtimes from two cells. I prefer the Preon 1 form factor generally, though.

I also found that the gold Preon 1 I bought for my wife is .2 EV brighter on high than my red Preon (which already matched the brilliant output of a Malkoff M60 in my ceiling bounce measurement test). That puts the measured output of her Preon 1 on 10440 AHEAD of the Malkoff M60 by about .2 EV (that's 20% brighter!). :eek: So I asked if she would mind swapping her gold head for my read head... she was fine with that (not being as output obsessed as I) so now we each have two-toned Preons... red and gold & gold and red. ;) These little lights (in the great tradition of Quark lights) are just freakin fantastic in their qualities and lego-ability. They are potent, stylish, practical, versatile, beautiful, and just plain FUN. A bow :bow: to David at 4Sevens for devising the Preon line. I'm became a major fan of these from the moment I opened the package. :thumbsup: I'm trying to resist the urge to have "the complete set" in all colors. :sick2: David, you were brilliant to offer the light in an array of wonderful colors... just entices we addicts to buy them all. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
We need to see your Gold & Red Preon hybrid, DHart.

Pretty please. :)

Yea Dhart... your going to have to update this pic for us with your two tone Preon 1. BTW, you have a loving wife for her to give you her extra lumens. ;)

DailyCarry.jpg

Great pic DHart!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starchaser... are you starin' at my big, fat .45 bore? Bet you are! ;) (Hard NOT to... that was the point of the bore polishing AND the composition of the pic!) Each of these items presents a pretty impressive front-end!

Monocrom... OK, buddy, I'll work on a follow-up image featuring the two-toned Preons!

Last edited:

Tuikku

Enlightened
Always in jeans frontpocket, clipped, iTP A1 SS!
Like it because: short enough, heavy enough to be noticed when pocketed.
Powerful enough with 16340.

Have tried carrying Preon1 and iTP A3 EOS but they feel like they "get lost" in pocket. I have a feeling I have to constantly check, if they are there :shrug:

In jacket pocket I have been EDCing latelyt Sabrewolfs Mini 123-EDC :devil:
...just in case I need to light up the yard. SST-90 with IMR, naturally.
Runtime, well :whistle:
At my uses up to date it has been ENOUGH! :thumbsup:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
My EDC has changed recently to a Surefire E1B Backup which I'm seriously loving!

But here's how I carry it, usually in the same place in a pair of 5.11 tac-lites but I put on a regular pair of cargo pants to illustrate how nicely it sits in the pocket:

You can just make out the clip of my Spyderco UKPK in the back pocket there too :D

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mon.-Fri. (work days)
Ra Clicky 200CN

weekends
ti pd-s mizer or quark mini aa neut. Xp-e

Keychain has a muyshondt mako which will not change until I receive my Miky modded arc aaa;).

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
I EDC the new upgraded 1khz PWM ITP EOS A3. The light output is huge for such a small light. No visible PWM can be seen in low and med modes, which is great! :grin2:

14871134.jpg

Nitecore D10 SP R2 and iTP A3 EOS on my key chain

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really like the look of that Nitecore D10 SP R2 on your keychain Q8iGunner, it doesn't look too big for keychain use like I thought it would be.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been pocketing a L4 with an MC-E swap a lot lately. Might replace it with a custom Aleph 2 XP-G/SOB setup in the future, just need to get the LE made.

jellydonut

Enlightened
My Wildcat has left the house:mecry:but it will be replaced by a Milky U2by2 :grin2: in the mean time my Malkoff M60 on an MD3 body is doing EDC duties.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI Ra Clicky holstered on my belt with a spare CR123 for emergencies (I never use primary cells, but I'm afraid to carry a spare RCR123 because I'm paranoid of bumping the holster against something and damaging the cell's protection circuitry). The warm tint, the wonderful color rendering, and perfect beam make this light a pure joy to use.

ITP AAA on my keychain. I never use it myself, but it's the one I loan if someone needs a light.

Zebralight H501w clipped to my cell phone holster. Probably the most used light I own. Also suitable for loaning.

When jacket weather comes, I'll probably carry either my L-mini II with neutral emitter or the one with warm MC-E emitter in an inside pocket.

--flatline

FireGoose

Newly Enlightened
I usually carry my Fenix PD30 in the nylon belt holder, however, the velcro does not stick anymore. I am going to order a clip for it because
I can't find just the case. Until that arrives I am carrying a Streamlight Nano. Small and Bright.:)
IMG_1904.jpg
IMG_1905.jpg
IMG_1906.jpg

lhloy

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is ZL SC50W+ along with a Benchmade 556 knife. I like the practicality of one-handed operation with both of these. I particularly like the side-clicky UI.

The ZL is deep-pocket carry (ZL in one pocket, knife in the other) but I keep a lanyard on it to hang it around my neck when I want it 'at hand', and I let the lanyard hang outside the pocket. I have removed the very nice pocket clip, and I am still on the lookout for a better lanyard attachment (so far, I'm using a constrictor knot to attach the lanyard).

The constrictor knot/550 paracord works well, but I hope ZL will eventually offer a lanyard attachment that mounts on the clip boss.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need to see your Gold & Red Preon hybrid, DHart.

Pretty please. :)

After years and dozens of all-black, serious looking flashlights (I've got more of them than I need anymore), I'm really enjoying the fun of these Preons and their colors! Now I need a blue one to lego with as well! My wife and I swapped heads from my red Preon to her gold one. Red, gold, blue, and black all go together so nicely.. you can have a different looking flashlight every day of the week... it's like playing Barbie with flashlights. :crackup: :party:

Here ya go, buddy... as promised,

TwoTonePreons.jpg

G21SF_Sage_Preon_2.jpg

Last edited: