What is your HDS backup light?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A steel Eiger was my main EDC backup for many years, and I still use an Eiger + Logan as dual backup lights when I travel.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand... you pushed me over the edge.
Ordered a stainless Eiger in the medium beam, hiCRI, keychain with momentary...

Damn you Archimedes!

Lot's of good suggestions in this thread. I'm trying to keep things very very small. Basically, a keychain light that will always work when I take it out.

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, my HDSs aren't true EDC since they rotate with some other cool things for primary duty, but the Clicky N170 does get carried a lot.

Some lights that do back up regularly are a de-lugged SF Titan Plus, well worn E01, datiLED tripleized Arc LS if I think I may need a lot of light in a tiny package, and lately quite frequently a Muyshondt Mako Flood. Glad to have one of those again!

DinoCakes

Newly Enlightened
Naturally, there is always a clicky clipped to my left pocket, there might also be a rotary in my jacket pocket, or if know I am headed into the dark for a while and want to reach out, a Malkoff HD 18650.

Malkoff MDC CR123 rides in my bag at all times next to a spare cr123 battery locker..... but i dont ALWAYS have my bag with me. ... That Eiger Ultra looks about right for a keychain dealy/lender light

...... and you better believe i'd be all over a bronze clicky offering

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time my HDS back up is a second HDS, which presents challenges for the method of carry. Two in the pocket or two on the belt? Or one on the belt and one in the pocket? Right now I'm considering a solution involving a holster and a pocket clip.

<Pocket clip! Gasp! I surprise even myself.>

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Backing up my HDS would usually be a ZL H600fc. It gives me a floodier beam and the UI is intuitive.
Sometimes I will have a thrower (convoy C8 from mountain electronics) as well but that usually stays in my coat or bag. I used to carry an Okluma DC1 but I have been switching to 18650 battery format. I also have been carrying a stock surefire e2e, more for nostalgia than for any other reason.

I have a couple of AAA lights, mostly use them for work but now you guys have me eyeing a peak eiger...

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
I think of my High Noon Rotary as my "primary" light, possibly not a true EDC since it stays in my canvas briefcase. But the briefcase is more like a purse for me--hardly ever more than a few feet away. My backup is in my pocket--a Muyshondt Aeon. Just can't deal with the size of an HDS in or on my pants. And can't imagine carrying a backup that isn't in the same league as HDS in terms of quality and utility.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya they are big for normal pockets. I where Carpenter pants and use the side leg pocket. Works like a charm

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Preon arrive today, and my first impressions are quite good. I have had the 2AAA versions from years gone by so I knew a bit what to expect. Very nice little light. Now waiting for the Peak Eiger... then maybe I'll order a Hound Dog Super and finally replace my Maelstrom with it. Need a good thrower for the Jeep as it looks like the M151A1 is moving to Florida soon.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found that I can use your holster for carrying my Malkoff MD2 with a surefire tailcap bezel up just fine.

When you get your Peak eiger in let us know your thoughts. It looks like a good light for my wife- after some extensive testing by me.

Latest posts