What lights for a week-long canoe trip?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for all the input from everybody. I was hoping for some varied opinions and information from people and to hear from those who had done the same type of trip before. I got exactly that. Thanks all.

I'm trying very hard to keep to the lights I already have and find some balance between "take everything, overpack, play, and look like to my friends like I have a fetish" and "have every base covered in just a couple of lights." I could conceiveably take just a headlight and a small backup - depending on not having a big problem and being out late or separated (I have radios). I'd rather take a few that will be most useful and fun at the same time, but also I want to try them all out to see if there is any ones I don't like as much or don't use, so I can determine if anything can be let loose in B/S/T.
I used my HDS B60 almost exclusively on my weekend canoe trip in early July. Great, useable light. Somebody offered me a brighter light while I was eating with my B60 on low. I just picked it up and pressed the button for full high to show them I had plenty of light (more than him), I just didn't need it at the moment. Sadly, it doesn't have near the throw of the Striker, or the red LED of the Proton. Decisions, decisions...

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
As a back up light try the cheap (~$12) Energizer 4 AA cell flashlight, with the single led and fluorescent tube. Fill it with lithium AA's and it will just about burn a week using just the led. Plus it gives you an area light when you need it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have two nice pelican cases, but thanks for the links OldGreyGuy. Good things to look out for (human error) to make sure they work as designed. I have a 1010 battery case and a larger Pelican for cameras. I also have four tough thick plastic drybags (3 new for this trip) that I & friends have used before and they work great for clothes & softer gear. I find that the clear or translucent ones are much easier to dig through for gear.
I have camped and canoed often over the past 25 years, so I already have lots of gear, though I always get something new for every major trip.
Thanks for the SC3 warning kelmo, I can save some $$ and just drop the MA02 in place of a battery in the Pelican 1010 case.
Good idea to test my lights underwater el_vato! I'll have to do that.
Cypher, good discipline at boiling it down to a few lights with little overlapping use. I think I just have too many that I like.
Nethiker, I'll have to see if my eternalights floats, I didn't know it would, plus it is just not as fun to use. I'm debating whether to even keep the Ergo.
Thanks for the info dfred, those MSR bags look like a nice upgrade to my current water bags. I'll have to look into them.
Drmaxx, I will most likely only bring one spare set of AAA's and a few CR123's as spares. A fresh Lithium AA in the Proton and the EOS on low (bright enough for me with the new S-bin!) will last a long time.
Waterboiler: thanks for the info on Algonquin, we have spots reserved and have our plan, but not having been there before, I didn't want to assume much. Nice to know the sites are well marked. We have water filters, but I don't know how that will replace my ROP :grin2:. When I hiked six or seven hours a day up mountains I still read almost an hour a night or wrote in a journal. I hope to take the canoe as an opportunity to take more than the usual hiking gear.
everyone said:
Have a great trip!
Thanks, I plan to! You guys are all great.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I truly value everyone's input, the current list is not changed much:
1) PT EOS with SV1H upgrade (from RWOH) and 25 degree optic for flood.
2) SureFire A2 - My workaholic regulated Xenon with LED's - versatile and tough
3) Striker VG - It's just such a nice thrower (double any other light sans the ROP), has a nice tint, Strobe, and Low levels - also versatile
4) LRI Proton - White, Red LED's, light as a feather, way low levels, more versatility
5) optional: HDS EDC B60 is prime candidate for a substitute as is the Firefly 2+ (FF3 upgrades).
6) Coin cell backups, but since these are not waterproof, maybe the JIL Intelli? :naughty:
- ROP may just stay in the car - we are camping at the car first night we get there, so I can try it then. It doesn't add much to the others and it's the largest light.
- I dropped the SC3 spares carrier since I will have a Pelican 1010 that I should be able to pack a spare A2 lamp in.
I could survive on four flashlights and have just about anything I need.

One tidbit I didn't mention: I'm a photography fan and I am planning to set up some night photograph opportunities with my lights. I want to get a picture of someone in a canoe out on the water at night shining a bright flashlight across the water, some fog shots if the opportunity arises, some lights shining at the camera through trees, and anything else I can come up with. This might be one reason to take the ROP.

Of course I will share my pictures and experience with the lights I take after I return Sept 5th.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Photographic opportunities in Algonquin are amazing. Wild life abounds and around every corner is a postcard like shot. Star trails come out well and the chance of seeing moose/deer is good if not great.

Enjoy the trip sounds like you are equiped and ready to go. One plus going this time of the year, less bugs that bite :)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some kind of decent headlamp would be invaluable. A long running fairly bright lantern for around camp. After those essentials go with whatever you like.

cyberspyder

Enlightened
What to take for week-long canoe trip

as the title neatly stated, what should i pack? as i've read in meny of the threads posted here, i should only bring one light-my Inova X1 (the new version with the reflector). i don't have a headlight, and frankly, won't be buying one. as for the tools department, i'm bringing my Spyderco Native, along with a small Gerber Clutch Muti-tool i got for $14. i'll be going with a group of students, with a teacher as a guide to Killarney Provincial Park on Sept. 22. i have a question though. the teacher said to bring rubber boots. why? i understand that they are to protect your feet from getting wet, except i see them as a burden. we'll portaging alot, so i don't really see the benefits of a rubber boot. opinions?

Brendan

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What to take for week-long canoe trip

hmmm.... well, if you are going through the woods, i would bring something brighter, with the x1 you can see a little circle of light, and you may get lost.... maybe you could go to wal-mart and pick up either a mag LED or a brinkman maxfire. Good choice on the native BTW.

-David

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have backpacked a lot and have done a little portaging and I think that when you have to carry all of you equipment you want to keep things as light and simple as possible.

I think a headlamp would be a good investment because having both hands free in the bush makes life a lot easier especially when you consider things like relieving yourself, setting up camp, hanging your food etc. It's also safer because if you have a light in one hand, eventually you end up mouth holding it or putting between your arm and your body and you run the risk of dropping it which might be problem if you are in or near water. I think for your purposes, a headlight, a primary flashlight and a backup flashlight would serve you well. It would be ideal if two out of the three lights used the same type of battery (the most ideal would be to have all use the same type of battery) If I was going I would take something like a PT Eos or a Petzl TIKKA, an ARC AAA and an HDS. I'm sure others will have their opinions and preferences but this is what I would bring.

With regard to the rubber boots I think that they would be more of a hinderance. Whenever I have been portaging I just wear sport sandals. They protect the bottom of your feet well enough in shallow water when approaching land and they dry fairly quickly. They are also lighter and not uncomfortable to walk around in when wet.

Just my opinion but I hope this helps. Have a fun, safe trip!!

p.s. Don't forget your PFD!!

cyberspyder

Enlightened

thanks alot! i have a dry bag that i'm willing to use, except he said that garbage bags are fine (i don't really trust him). i'll try to search up some headlights.

Brendan

Monocrom

Flashaholic

cyberspyder said:
as the title neatly stated, what should i pack? as i've read in meny of the threads posted here, i should only bring one light-my Inova X1 (the new version with the reflector).

Brendan

As good as any one light might be, never take just one light when headed out into the Wilderness. Always bring at least one other light source with you.

If I decide to go camping, I know what I would bring. My New Streamlight TL-2 LED model, my 2AAA River Rock model (one of the brightest LED lights I've ever used), and my CMG Task Light, (41 hours of light off of 1AA) perfect for those moments when you just need a little bit of light to look for something in your pack.

I mean what are you going to do if you accidentally drop your light into the water? :awman:

twentysixtwo

Enlightened

Ditto that.

My advice on flashlights is that if you can only have one, it should be a headlight.

If you are doing something in the dark, rest assured it will be done easier with two hands free.

My favorites are the Aurora or the EOS, both by Princeton Tec.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

your teacher is concern about students feet get wet. I have experiences in canoeing in fall season. It is best that you bring a sturdy & strong sandal that has good grip because you will be portaging the canoe on wet rocks. The sandal must be made of synthetic material so it will dry fast in damp fall season.

Rubber boots tend to be slippery and they lack traction of sandal.

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened

I'd bring more than one light, one of which being a headlamp. I have the EOS and it's pretty nice. I'd also bring a small, lightweight light with good runtime, like the dorcy AAA. In dark woods, you dont need all that much light to get around. That said, it might also be useful to have something rather bright to use for shorter periods of time if the trail is unclear or to spot something at a distance. I have used a PT Tec40 for this purpose a few times and it works well. There's hardly a better situation for a flashaholic than pitch dark woods, so you might as well bring some lights and have fun with them.

dfred

Enlightened

picard said:
your teacher is concern about students feet get wet. I have experiences in canoeing in fall season. It is best that you bring a sturdy & strong sandal that has good grip because you will be portaging the canoe on wet rocks. The sandal must be made of synthetic material so it will dry fast in damp fall season.

Rubber boots tend to be slippery and they lack traction of sandal.
Well, there are some diving-style booties made for paddling with fairly grippy soles... But I definitely have to agree with you and Oddjob that something closer to a traditional shoe or boot, with a real sole and arch support, is a must if serious portages are involved. River shoes or sandals combined with waterproof/insulated socks is a good combination for this.

If you have suitable footwear that remains comfortable even when wet, you'll have a much better time paddling. In my experience, many canoe upsets are caused by people more worried about getting their shoes wet than concentrating on properly getting into or out of the boat.

And regarding the original lighting question I will pile on the bandwagon by also suggesting bringing a AAA-based headlamp along with one or two additional backup lights.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I third, forth, fifth or whatever a headlight!!!

I myself don't own any good outdoor headlights, but I use a River Rock 2AA Headlight for reading in bed a lot.

When I get up in the night to use the head, I pick up a SL JR LUX with a red M*g filter on it. I have to put it down on the counter, so I can see out in the sticks a headlight would :rock:

Of the MANY hand held lights I own... choosing would be tough! Probably an Eveready Contractor 2AA with a SMJLED for task lighting, and a 2C M*g with a M*gled for reach out light. Other possibilities for bright include Tec 40, SL 4AA or 3C LUX, G2, Maxfire, TT 2L or 3C etc. The TTs aren't killer bright, but have quite usefull LED modes.

Good luck! Sounds fun! Not the sort of thing I do, but maybe I should!

cyberspyder

Enlightened

wow thanks! will head down to MEC today to check out some headlamps. oh, i also have a G2, so i'll bring that. regarding the boots, i'll reason with him when school starts (tuesday). thanks again!

Brendan

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot to mention in my post that wearing sport sandals in the canoes and around camp does not eliminate the need for adequate footwear for the actual portaging between lakes. Some of the portages in Algonquin Park that I have been on were relatively easy to walk on with sport sandals, while others required a proper hiking type boot. You should be bringing both and hopefully your topographic map can give you an idea of the terrain of the portage.

Another thing about rubber boots is if you are walking in shallow water towards shore and you trip or step suddenly in a deeper area, your boots will fill up with water. I don't know how unpredictable your route will be but I still think it wise to leave the rubber boots at home.

I have a Princeton Tec EOS headlight which I like. MEC sells them as well as other headlights of various prices and features. The EOS has 4 useful light level for your purposes-high, med, low and strobe. It has a good review on www.flashlightreviews.com. One thing about headlights I should mention is that if it is cold at night the fog from your breath can partially obstruct your view due to the light reflecting off the fog directly in front of your face. In this case just let it dandle around your neck upside down so you can angle it out in front of you.

I'm jealous because I've always wanted to hike the 100 km backpaking trail in Kilarney. Have fun at MEC (I love MEC) and again have a safe trip !

Last edited: