what lights have hotspot/spill free beams, just *even* light?

asmith

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to figure out what it takes to make a beam be flood-to-throw adjustable. Am I understanding correctly that you need a focusable head + aspherical lens?

I'm looking at the Solarforce L2 for this purpose. I know there are suitable aspherical lenses, but what about focusable heads? Is it the L2's property of being a 6P form-factor or of being a P60-host that means parts made for the comparable Surefire should fit the L2?

Vesper

Enlightened
Romisen RC-29, Romisen RC-C6, and don't some of the Led Lenser lights have this kind of focusable beam too? That Dereelight looks nice too.

Last edited:

fa__

Newly Enlightened
+1 for dereelight, and I also will mention sacredfire nf-08, this one requires a little work to make it a very good light, but once modified it's very pleasant to use

LeifUK

Enlightened
You could always use a flat diffuser such as this one:

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4512

The above one works on Fenix torches, and any others with a similar size head. (Probably not ones with crenellations.) I have used it, and it kills the throw, and spreads the light. Or you could make one from some translucent plastic and some sort of retaining ring. This way you get a wide spread, whereas one or two of the above lights with even beams lack spread.

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Is the duracell daylite really perfectly smooth in flood mode? I was interested in this light for a while, but I read that the focusing head didnt do much.

It's all pure flood when the head is turned to flood mode. The problem is that there is not much spotlight when it is turned to the spot mode.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all pure flood when the head is turned to flood mode. The problem is that there is not much spotlight when it is turned to the spot mode.

Cool, I may pick one of these up sometime.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
I bought an LED Lenser P4 recently which can be adjusted from spot to flood, the flood setting producing a very even, circular beam.

It's not what you'd call a high-performance light (0.37 watt 5mm emitter, manufacturer claims a mere 11.9 lumens) but I've found the "flood" setting makes it a very good close-up inspecton light - I use mine a lot for working on wiring/terminals etc in the rear of electrical equipment panels.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
id like to try a light that has a beam that has no hot spot, and no spill, just a one brightness circle (like a cartoon flashlight beam)

anyone know of any lights that can do this?

or close?

$100 or less:popcorn:

Have a look at the beamshots here is this what you are referring to?