What lights you'd take on a long (camping) trip?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: What lights you\'d take on a long (camping) trip?

I agree with pretty much everything else that has been said.

Like Bart, you have to have a good headlamp! I too have the Black Diamond Moonlight. I hesitated buying it, but glad I went with the dimmable AAA model over the AA model. The battery life is excellent and it's nice to have a dimmable, hands free light source. This is my primary light when camping. Once again I just can't understate the value of having a pool of light wherever you look at night.

I also like to carry my McLux, well I carry that everywhere anyway, but it's good to have a small Luxeon light for backup to your headlamp when you need a flood of light.

Fluorescent rechargeable lantern or propane if you need the extra brightness.

Also good to take a long long long life light like the Brinkmann 4D with 4 LEDs from D batteries.

I usually take along a Lithium incandescent as well. Surefire G2z most often, but find I don't use it much because the LED lights are so handy.

Spare gag lights and other small LED lights to loan out are a must as well.

juancho

Enlightened

I used to go camping with a Princeton Tec 40 for long throw and a P.T. attitude, and before the attitude was a P.T. Rage. Also as a tent light a Infinity. They all worked very well and if I have to recommend something inexpensive to new campers, these lights will be it.

Last winter I made some adjustment in my battery of lights
(adjustment=new lights) So this summer I will go camping with my L-4 or my McGizmo L-1 PR T 917, a ARC AA will replace the Infinity and the Attitude will be replaced by a E1e with the new KL-1 high Luxeon.

The only worry now, is that of lossing one of them.

Juan C.

Starliberator

Newly Enlightened
Re: What lights you\'d take on a long (camping) tri

I would take my trusty e2e with a kl4 head on it.

cy

Flashaholic

BentheadTx, Your just lucky I didn't bring along my X3T-PR. That would have smoked your chili.

Just didn't know I'd run into a cpf'er would have a need for a light cannon ha ha ha...

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Thanks Dave, it's the light that's with you that you use, right? So, your mod + N-tail on a lanyard is the smallest brightest light I got, and I can keep it on me all the time. (And only go running for the VIP to show people what their lites can't do.)

And I forgot a light, my wife will be reading by the light of her Petzl Tikka Plus!

daloosh

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

my petromax 150 cp kerosene lantern.
and my 400 cp petromax kerosene lantern.

brighter than any of the little fluorescent or led lanterns.
petromax still lights up a major portion of the world.

b2eze

Newly Enlightened

My faithful L1 with the 3 watt TWAK, My 9P with the 3 watt TWAK modded KL3 head (Thanks for the resistors and pointers, Chop!) And stashed inside the pop up (I don't rough it!) the 4 cell mag direct drive with the 3 TWAKs and Fraen LPs on my thick old home made copper heatsink (It's not a club, really......) And the Ultra G on the keyring.

taylor

Newly Enlightened

For camping, I pefer to carry the SF A2 Aviator with the KL1+E2E body for backup.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened

Im shocked no one has said surefire L1. no one would bring one? i'd think id sounds like a perfect camping light. extreemly long runtime. good output for low light campground stuff. Hey i've got a black diamond moonlight. what do you mean dimmable. it clicks on and off. unless im missing something.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

For what I have in my current inventory, I'll bring along my Ultra G on a neck lanyard (must have...), my Pelican 3Led 3AAA headlamp, and my UKE2L. I know the battery configs don't quite complement each other, but at least between the Pelican and Ultra G, I have plenty of runtime, and some spare batts would weigh next to nothing. Likely I'll also bring along my KL1 w McLux 3x123 power pack for some throw and long runtime as well.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

so far this summer, i only take two lights... Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED and the Arc AAA...

it's the perfect arrangement for me... the Arc AAA is used whenever stationary, and the eLED is the perfect walking light (in the woods i mean)...

they served me well on the Appalachian Trail here in Maine this spring... i highly reccomend the eLED and 5MM LED combination.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glock_nor_cal would be happy to know I bring my SF M2 / SF L1 combo, same as my EDC. Also a PT Yukon HL.

Once the SF U2 ships, I plan to replace the M2 with a U2 and the L1 with a FFv2 33ohm2level (becomes backup light). Also, when the Actionlight III ships, I plan to use it to replace the Yukon.

-john

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened

For those guys whom bring modified Mag lights to camping trip, aren't you guys worry about water problem? I've read numerous times that Mag isn't waterproof enough and water does get in. I would be worry about ruining a $50 mod module that's why I'm using an Arc LSH-P/2AA and PT Surge.

Reptilezs

Enlightened

mags are generaly water resistant except for the switch boot