What to do with almost thousand+ spare Cree XQ-E LED's - Build a massive flood light!

mds82

Enlightened
Well lets just start off that I ordered many thousand of Cree XQ-E LED's mounted to a custom PCB Board that has 2 white and 1 blue attached to it. After getting almost all of them mounted i found out that these LED's didnt work for my need, and i ended up getting all the sheets of mounted LED's back. I think there are nearly 20,000 of them that i have sitting around, so i decided to make a massive flood light with them all

I ordered some 1/4 inch thick aluminum U Chanel to mount them too, and then a 12x4x1 inch aluminum finned heat sink to hold it all together. a 150w LED driver from meanwell and it turned out to be a massive light. My calculations put this little light just around 21,500 lumen of 5000K white light. ,it indoors for a new construction project, it was the only light that was necessary for a large room.

IMG_4665_zpsgqv5hvhj.jpg

IMG_4666_zpsroqdte0f.jpg

IMG_4667_zpsp8vr7kuy.jpg

IMG_4668_zpsaidaregh.jpg

IMG_4669_zpsvuvs2jx2.jpg

IMG_4671_zpshdyjcacs.jpg

Thom2022

Enlightened
Find the biggest stock pot you can. Mount then to a circular board to fit in the base of it, polish death out of the pot and see what sort of craziness it's capable of.

mds82

Enlightened
Find the biggest stock pot you can. Mount then to a circular board to fit in the base of it, polish death out of the pot and see what sort of craziness it's capable of.

without optics it would still just be a flood light though

Thom2022

Enlightened
There was a thread on here of a guy who turned a very large stock pot into a stupid spot light. 14ish mile range I think he calculated. He didn't use LEDs but not reason you couldn't