What was your prep for today?

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
Those gallon water jugs do have a limited life span--I found that out the hard way. :( I had bought them in 3 gallon cardboard cartons, and stacked them. After a couple of years I think it was, they started to leak...in the boxes. Well, that was a mess, and a major disappointment. Fortunately I had only about 3 or 4 of those 3 gallon cartons, so the loss wasn't too bad, but I learned my lesson about using those gallon jugs for long-term water storage--don't.
I looked at those at Walmart (thicker plastic)-$18.00 each! Pass. BPA free or not, I don't trust plastic anyway to not leach into the water.

Don't know what an alternative would be.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Don't know what an alternative would be.
1700390920121.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
👆Good old fashioned glass to the rescue.

IMG_1776.jpeg

I have 3 this size and a pair of 10 gallon size in my shed just in case. They double as a seat after mowing the lawn and such. The 5 gallon size fit inside the 10 gallon ones for portability.

During the good times I keep stuff I don't want to freeze in them during the winter. Open them up every so often on a sunny day and let the sun warm the inside in extended cold spells.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nexta time a you toucha the vina rosa, Ima gonna wack you!

Sorry, but Grumpier Old Men is one of my favorite films.

Yes, I suppose a wine cellar full of wine would work for some things, but for non-drinkers not so much. Although, it would supply non-drinkers with a strong bartering item... :unsure:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Yes, I suppose a wine cellar full of wine would work for some things, but for non-drinkers not so much. Although, it would supply non-drinkers with a strong bartering item... :unsure:
My wife makes wind chimes out of glass bottles. We don't consume alcohol but plenty of coworkers do so supply is not hard to come by. One could obtain several fairly easy.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife makes wind chimes out of glass bottles. We don't consume alcohol but plenty of coworkers do so supply is not hard to come by. One could obtain several fairly easy.
So, this gets back to my question about the glass olive oil bottles. I figure if a wine bottle will/would work, then why not a glass olive oil bottle?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
👆Good old fashioned glass to the rescue.

View attachment 52629
I have 3 this size and a pair of 10 gallon size in my shed just in case. They double as a seat after mowing the lawn and such. The 5 gallon size fit inside the 10 gallon ones for portability.

During the good times I keep stuff I don't want to freeze in them during the winter. Open them up every so often on a sunny day and let the sun warm the inside in extended cold spells.
Good grief, @bykfixer, the inflation has gone nutz! I just went on amazon, and the yellow Igloo 10 gallon industrial cooler is $100! The 5 gallon Igloo cooler is $40! Okay, I'm going to start stopping and picking these up from the ditches when I see them. It seems folks can't keep their ice chests and coolers on their vehicles as they go down the highway. Well, with a little cleaning and disinfecting they should be okay (I hope).

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Five gallon container with spring water is $15.
View attachment 52660

I don't know if it is recappable once it is opened.
But I imagine that it can be resealed more tightly than the igloo water coolers.
Yeah, I wouldn't use a water cooler for regular long term storage, only temporary.

The bad thing about plastic containers is sanitizing them. You can't use heat, because they will melt, so you have to use either chemical sterilization or UV sterilization, and each method has possible negative effects on the plastic.

I like the idea of glass containers, they have been in use for a loooong time, the main problem being breakage hazard. BTW, never can food in a Mason jar that has been microwaved, as they can shatter.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I wouldn't use a water cooler for regular long term storage, only temporary.

The bad thing about plastic containers is sanitizing them. You can't use heat, because they will melt, so you have to use either chemical sterilization or UV sterilization, and each method has possible negative effects on the plastic.

I like the idea of glass containers, they have been in use for a loooong time, the main problem being breakage hazard. BTW, never can food in a Mason jar that has been microwaved, as they can shatter.
:awman:🤥 I lied. I was wrong about the Mason jars and microwaving. Well, partially wrong. It turns out the newer jars are microwave safe, so look for a symbol on the bottom showing whether or not they are microwave safe. I was right about older Mason jars, though.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened

Especia Sophia Loren in that red dress!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Some folks would complain about getting hung with a used rope.
I can store /a lot/ more water per dollar by using free consumer-grade jugs - I'm not trying to compete with Brita here. I will post a follow-up here when I see one leaking, OK ?

If I have to spend $$$ to make sure I have perfect containment, I'm going to end up having a lot less water available for emergencies. :rolleyes:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Since bleach has come up in the conversation with regards to water, this chart is straight from the EPA website [...]
Is the EPA recommendation for disinfection or for storage ?

My thinking is that if I'm only storing my potable residential tapwater instead of disinfecting water from an unknown source, I should be able to use less bleach than is commonly cited.

CDC says 6 months for basic water storage; my hope is to save myself some logistics by extending its shelflife via a light application of bleach - i.e. maybe to a few years if I use a relatively light dosage of 4 drops per gallon ? And I do have close to infinite quantities of heat available to me for boiling if I do end up having to do that.

-----

I can certainly play with this as the years go by; When is algae starting to grow in the clear bottles ? When does the water start to have a degraded taste ? How long are the reused milk jugs lasting ? Very easy to do an iterative solution, certainly. (y)

And lower-grade water can still be used for sanitation, flushing toilets, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Kestrel- Clarification: Yes, that was for disinfecting untreated water. Thanks for asking... I found everything from 2 drops per gallon (Oregon State Univ.) to a full tablespoon (Utah State Univ.) per gallon for storage of potable water. So, I have no clear guidance. Apologies...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Kitty litter containers for washing up and flushing. Lasted for years, but if handled roughly, will get a pinhole leak from abrasion.View attachment 52813
Now I'm half tempted to get a cat.
Though should pick up one of those containers with Winter already here before it starts to snow. Rain Tuesday afternoon. Lasted continuously on until late Wednesday morning. Thankfully the temp. was around 55-degrees F. Would have been a nightmare had it been snow.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yesterday my daughter made a quick run to the grocery store to pick up a few last minute items. She took my car because the check engine light came on in her's.

While the bird was baking, I got out my scanner, and pulled codes. P302, misfire cylinder number 2. I popped the hood and found that she has COPs coil on plug ignition. One ignition coil for each of her four cylinders.

Misfire could be caused by faulty fuel injector, bad spark plug, or most likely a faulty coil. So I pulled and swapped the coils for cyl, 2 and 3. If the misfire moves to cyl three, I'll know that she has a bad coil. They are extremely easy to swap. So I guess today, we'll find out.