What watch you're wearing?

ven

Flashaholic
I like my auto Seiko's, but have not been so active recently, so they lose time quickly. I had a Pulsar Quartz duver 100 meters, with a screw down crown, circa 2014. Pepsi version and it was stolen, and it was discontinued a few years later. I wear a watch 24/7, showers included. Have not found one to replace the Pulsar.

Bill

Bill

Having a few auto's myself, i get it. If i am wearing one or choose one, i leave out and just give it a shake! 15 seconds and put on. Same at night(on or off wrist). To keep time, then say i want to wear a G or a different one, if i know i will go back to wearing it in the next few days. I just give it a shake once or twice. Not ideal, there are cheap watch winders(dont fancy spending $1000's lol). But for $30 on amazon, is enough to wind a single..........might be worth it. Do like the pepsi pulsar, similar in most ways to the seiko 009. I have one in my watched ebay 274135425709

Very attractive watch to my eyes, i do like a little colour on the bezel. Check out the Timex Q re issue divers, very cool/retro and so so tempted. Not crazy large either, a more moderate to dress kind of size at 38mm.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spent yesterday at Universal Studios in Orlando. My kids and I had fun using the stopwatch on my DW-5600E to keep track of how long we were in line compared to the park's advertised wait time (spoiler: about 90% of the time the park was overestimating the wait by 100%). At one point we were making friendly wagers on how long to get to the ride. Anyways, The park is now using metal detectors to keep people from bringing cell phones on the rides. So many, many people had no idea what time it was. If I had a nickel for every person that asked us how long they'd been waiting...

ven

Flashaholic
Very cool, it is a shame many rely on phones(heck most are like $1000+ these days). So easy to drop, then a $300 bill for screen.......imagine the nice watch that would get! One of my biggest gripes though, if say gas engineers or alike turn up and get mobile out to look. Right tool for the job springs to mind. Oh and yes, even reports of people using a lit match, could not make it up!

I feel more squares may come in 2020 lion, squares themselves are a bit of an addiction. Such a great watch imho.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are an evil influence! I have one nice Citizen on the way to me, and yet I'm eyeballing another with an itchy trigger finger! [emoji849]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ven

Flashaholic
After talk of pepsi, also a KFC and a pepsi......well might as well wear what i drank! Citizen this time
OvKV1T6l.jpg

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel more squares may come in 2020 lion, squares themselves are a bit of an addiction. Such a great watch imho.

I'll be watching this thread for your recommendations! As you're clearly the resident expert! Thanks in advance.

ven

Flashaholic
I'll be watching this thread for your recommendations! As you're clearly the resident expert! Thanks in advance.

Thank you for kind words, but far from that. I just like a nice watch, a little research prior and thats that. No different to most really . Wish you all the best for 2020 and everyone else here. Cheers to a new decade of flashlights, torches..............and health!!! :twothumbs

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I can't fully explain why I find automatic self winding watches to be so cool. The whole concept is just awesome.

ven

Flashaholic
Ven,

That is is a nice looking Seiko Pepsi! What year is it?

That one is a ctizen pepsi NY2300, not sure on exact year , but i think from about 09 and now discontinued.

I can't fully explain why I find automatic self winding watches to be so cool. The whole concept is just awesome.

They are cool, all self contained, the complexity yet reliable. Most auto's should run for years.......decades even before a service. Capacitors can get weak years on and may need replacing, so the power reserve can start to fall short if not worn. Most have 30+hr reserves, some 40+. Watch winders come in handy if you wear it a few days here and there. But for me, i prefer auto to say quartz , although not as convenient for grabbing and just wearing. There are little things to be aware of with the day/date and not setting between 9pm and 4am(usually when the day/date starts to change) . Just wind/shake a little, adjust time to 6.30 ish, then adjust day and date for yesterday. Then simply adjust the time past 12 till it starts to change day/date, then you can set time to am or pm, the day/date is set to change correct during early hours.

I have 4 auto's at the moment, may add a steinhart or citizen, then probably done unless i do 1 in 1 out. As this can get crazy like flashlights.
BK2yi9Il.jpg

Today though, is actually a quartz :ohgeez:, tissot prc200.........well so far. I can swap 2 or 3 times in a day.
mMoZyHFl.jpg

ViPqL2Al.jpg

nGDSfMSl.jpg

mhpreston

Enlightened
That's a nice Tissot Ven! I've gone into full hunting mode with my new Garmin Fenix Solar. It's going to take some learning...
bd57b059b62119c0b73c6c83c5038a1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ven

Flashaholic
You guys are an evil influence! I have one nice Citizen on the way to me, and yet I'm eyeballing another with an itchy trigger finger! [emoji849]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

niiiiiiiice . You seem to have it as bad as me, even though one in the mail, the next is being searched for haha. Well it is part of the fun as well. A nice G square would work well for you when not dressed up.. Day to day easy to read beater, but tough and retro/cool looking. 5600/5610, former quartz, latter with multiband6 and solar........many have gone past 20yrs on same rechargeable battery! Even the more expensive 5610 can be had under 80 bucks. Or a little more special, the 5000 ti square for $400 ish.

I still have a saved citizen pro master ti .........i may bite soon.

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you mhpreston, they kept catching my eye and its my 1st tissot. I liked the sapphire glass and wanted a chrono, swiss made and this time not an auto. In fact the auto versions are quite pricey . Love the garmin, been tempted myself a few times for one of theirs. That reminds me, also the G rangeman 1000, but its a bit of a big beast(and pricey).
https://g-shock.co.uk/gpr-b1000-1er

Its HUGE and not sure on the charge side, comes with its own charger and kind of like smart watches, requires placing on it every few days. Not too sure i want that in a watch, i have enough to charge and keep an eye on! Almost talked myself out haha. I can get for around £500 ish. But i then think, if i get that, i wear my others less, so do i move a few on........See my predicament. Never stopped me with torches, but with those you have materials, size, battery differences, colour temps, tints, CRI, modded/custom, UI's etc. I have also deliberately not tied up a large amount(invest) in one piece yet to enjoy a few different ones. Maybe if i put to and sold maybe 10, just buy a seamaster and be done! But i know it would not stop there haha. Besides, dinging a few 100 £ watch or a couple of K wont hurt as much. I also can not get my head around £300-£600 on a service! Not when i can run a $50 casio for decades for free!!!! Hence my predicament in my brain.........
Right now though, i am enjoying my little ride. But before it gets out of hand and i end up with 100! I am going to have to start doing 1 in 1 out.

Late afternoon wear and evening
Fhhhtckl.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The battery in my blue face Sieko kinetic stopped taking a charge at around 12 years old. My white face of the same year still charges but at a reduced capacity of about a weeks worth of energy. Replacements are available in a kit and run about 25% the cost of the watch original price.

My ten year old solar Siekos and Citizens are still doing fine. Just store them under a table lamp you use often or in a window that gets about an hour of sun per day and they remain charged.

My favorite is the hand wind type. Not always practical in todays fast paced world, but I do get certain enjoyment out of winding up a 75 year old Hamiltion or 50 year old Elgin or Bulova and sporting a relic on my wrist at times.

I don't hate quartz watches. I just don't like the surprise of looking at my wrist and discovering the battery played out. At least with an automatic you can shake it briefly and finish out the day. Same with solar or hand wind.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... My favorite is the hand wind type. Not always practical in todays fast paced world, but I do get certain enjoyment out of winding up a 75 year old Hamiltion or 50 year old Elgin or Bulova and sporting a relic on my wrist at times....

Yes, I agree, Byk.

I too remember winding my wristwatch each morning, and briefly thinking about what was to be accomplished that day.

There was an almost tactile nature to the analog world of the past. Putting a record on the turntable and setting the needle in the groove, getting out a pen and sheet of paper to write a letter, and so forth.

Felt more connected and grounded to the reality around us.

And sorta seemed to allow us the time and space to think, in a way now absent from the ethereal insta-digi-stream-clouding process :shrug:

EDIT ... after posting this, from my handheld electronic device with capabilities far beyond those imagined in Star Trek, I see that my post is displayed incorrectly in the "app" but normally on the "browser" for reasons unclear. Funny.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Agree mr fixer

Yes i get it with quartz, i do like them for ease and convenience, but nothing beats an auto for me . Many casio's last years, even a decade before tell tale signs (back light weak or wont work etc), an easy swap in under 5 mins(inc finding the battery that is safely stashed......too safely!). Little nyogel on any O ring to help keep water resist. One thing with doing your own batteries, you take pride and care, no short cuts. Like servicing your own car in ways, you know its done right.

I have just put an offer in for a squale 1545 30 atmos pepsi, see what happens. Chances are my next piece is steinhart,oris,squale or deep blue. Who knows which flavour will pick me. Then that will be it for a while..........famous last words haha.

Today's wear, JDM frogy.
ogPwdTZl.jpg

bireJgTl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Well i bit the bullet on a couple of watches, a G for Callum DW-5600BBM-1ER (black case blue print and his choice) . I have been burning my head out for a couple of days, got (i hope) a cracking deal on an oris TT1 . Just been serviced for a meagre £300(did include a £70 crown pin......bargain!). My first titanium watch at last........

Hopefully Wednesday for the Oris

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too Ven. I hope you don´t have to wait too long for your fix ;)

The blue Traser P68 Pathfinder automatic arrived saturday..... and ten minutes later the watch I was eyeballing. An Aevig Corvid Fieldwatch, swiss movement, 20 atm, full lume display. Aevid is a small dutch micro brand. I really like that watch! The Traser too. I was a liitle concerned because it is a rather large watch but it wears pretty comfortable. Only the lume on the Traser is not the brightest. But maybe I am just a bit spoiled because of the Aevig and the Seikos (they are supposed to have pretty bright lume from what I read and yes they are indeed bright).

(seconds pointer not visible due to the long exposure)

aevig-traser02.jpg

aevig-traser01.jpg

Last edited: