What would you do if $100 showed up in your mailbox?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have sent it back. When errors happen and I'm shorted I point it out and expect the company to reimburse me. The same goes if the error was in my favor; I'd point it out and compensate the company. $100 isn't going to change my life and I like to think I'm a fair and trustworthy person.

The only place that ever cheated me was Kaiser Health Care. I was laid off and wasn't sure when my insurance expired so I called Kaiser to find out. They said I was still covered so I saw the doc the next day. Months later I receiver a bill for over $700, and was told my coverage was RETRO-cancelled. They also said I should have called my ex-employer rather then them to check my coverage status. While I went through their complaint process they kept billing me with overdue notices. I couldn't believe Kaiser would be so nasty, but they were. Short of going to court I paid them to settle the matter as I wanted to be done with them forever. Kaiser is a crooked organization and I'll never use them again.

Oh sorry if I got off track here. I guess my answer is I wouldn't spend the money unless it was rightfully mine to do so.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say keep it as payment for you having to do the work to try to get it to work. Especially after the customer service person just ya yaed you.

mut

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate rebates. I usually try to avoid them. About 50% require that I submit things a second time, or call their customer service dept. multiple times to get my money. I don't trust them. I wish every business did rebates like Costco though.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
I hate rebates. I usually try to avoid them. About 50% require that I submit things a second time, or call their customer service dept. multiple times to get my money. I don't trust them. I wish every business did rebates like Costco though.
I definately agree; the only rebates I like are cash at the register. Mailing away for say a $10 rebate that takes 4 to 8 weeks to get a check that then needs to be deposited usually isn't worth the effort. The other part I really don't like is giving out my name and address that has the potential of ending up on various junk mail lists.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Lowbat, I feel I did my part when I made the return, to explain to the cashier that it was Office Depot's rebate, and that they would need to cancel it, not Palm. So as far as that goes, I don't feel guilty, it was that employee's choice to not care enough to do her job. I think Thertel has it, they probably won't even miss it.
If supermarkets or banks give me extra I make a point to give it back to them. Mainly because those are places I frequent, and they'll eventually see me again, not to mention a bank already has all my money!

So here's the breakdown I've designated the money to:
$60 to Mr. Milky for Pimping my Q3 and other services.
$20 to the Ilumileads Ulteon XL-1 GB (Playboy got one right!)
$20 for the Sears/Craftsman 3AAA Worklight, to take the LED out for my 3D mag.

I hope these were good decisions, and that cashing the check as well, was a good descision. God knows I don't want Dog the Bounty Hunter to come repo my lights!! :xyxgun:

Latest posts