What's a good light for an elderly person

Illum

Flashaholic
yellow said:
my grandma had problems with atrithis, and while any light using D-cells was too thick and heavy,
the AA lights were too small, and the batts even more, for her to handle them.

--> perfect light: 2 or 3 "C"-cell Maglite.
Or something similar from plastic with shiny body color.

true, to us 2D is a bit bulky but not heavy; to the atrithis elder ones, 2D is like lifting weights.

I'd go for maybe a photon, single phase on or off, i dont think they'll know how to program these little things. ;)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I gave a Lady friend a couple lights almost 2 years ago. She rejected a Kohler Bright Star 3D as too tough to slide switch. She glommed onto a Dorcy 2AA 4 LED like crazy!

I was just sitting here trying several of my lights with limited strength and mobility in mind. Most of my 2AA slide switch lights would be tough if your thumb isn't as strong and flexible. My Dorcy Gelbrite takes a fairly hefty push. Nothing for me, but a lot for an oldster.

Of what I own, the best choice would seem to be Streamlight 4AA 7LED with honorable mention to Dorcy 1AA 3LED or 2AA 4LED. If size really matters, the Dorcys win.

Again, I'm looking at this as if my thumb was close to useless.

The little Dorcy 1AAA might be best, as it can be easily stored in a wheelchair pocket or worn around the neck....

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I cast my vote for the MM with Nite-Ize drop in. The head is easy to twist, the floody light is adequate to navigate or read by and it's not so small that it would be hard to operate/find. The light can slip into a bathrobe pocket and not get lost, too.

I'll experiment on my geriatric mother (Thankfully she doesn't read this forum):sssh:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Read through this thread and had a lot of agreements and disagreements with a lot of the suggestions. Any clicky must be REALLY effortless for elderly, arthritic ... much more effortless than any clicky I've ever used.

If you take a Minimag 2AA and lube the threads on the twist-head, this should be easy for anyone to turn on and off. Want to make it even easier? Just attach something to the side of the head. This would also keep it from rolling.

Speaking of which, that non-roll, hexagonal rubber head protector would be good ... I've seen that on a few Minimags.

LED gives more useful light in low, low light conditons and makes for longer run time on the same batts. Nite-Ize isn't great but it will work OK ... and is only $5.

You could always add some rubber material to make the barrel thicker ... without adding more weight.

2D lights? Way too big and heavy for elderly female hands with arthritis.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I speak with my mom evry week or so as she's alone and likes to keep up on what my wife and I are up to. I have given her flashlights of all different types and sizes. She's 70 years old and has arthritis in her hands, not severe but there. I asked her what she thought on this topic. Her first comments were,
1) "As long as it works."
2) "Button or slide did not matter, as long as it is easy to turn on and off."
3) "Easy to change batteries."
4) "D cell size was a little big for her and she preferred a smaller size" "But would use D cell size if that was all she had."
5) "Do NOT get me anymore flashlights!" (Funny woman that mom of mine!)

That pretty well sums up much of what has been said here. Keep it simple, easy to operate, a smaller size and your grandmother should be in good shape. In addition to something more substantial, be sure to give her something she can keep in her pocket or around her neck so she always has something with her. Even if it's just one of those little dollar keychain lights. The push button ones from Lighthound or Advancedmart are very easy to push too.

I hope your grandmother is doing well.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike - Your mom sounds like my dad, at least with regard to "don't get me anymore flashlights".
smile.gif

My dad is very content with his Mag (2C); can't understand what the fuss is about with all of the other flashlights I have given or lent him.

In my view, the Mag is a bit heavy; your grandmother would probably prefer a decent quality plastic flashlight. Some of the better lights carried by Home Depot/Target/WalMart would probably be perfect.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Well yeah, m*g 2AA w/NiteIze bears mention for sure! As was mentioned, probably with an anti roll to make it easier to manipulate!

And since we are mainly talking power outage, NiteIze is PLENTY of light!

Hermanator

Newly Enlightened
I would do a small light like photon or inova microlight that could be carried around her neck all the time. Anything larger may not be carried all the time.

Consider adding some of the automatic emergency lights that stay plugged into a outlet but come on whenever the power goes off.

Hope this helps! :)

frisco

Enlightened
If she broke her hip.... Has she recovered completely? If she is using a walker, cane or wheelchair. Maybe a "Bike Light" type solution mounted on the equipment.

Sometimes twisties aren't good for the elderly because of grip/finger strenth/dexterity issues. Another reason, it's possible in an emergency/dark situation they just may screw the head right off the light trying to turn it on.

frisco

Illum

Flashaholic
kc2ouf said:
I cast my vote for the MM with Nite-Ize drop in. The head is easy to twist, the floody light is adequate to navigate or read by and it's not so small that it would be hard to operate/find. The light can slip into a bathrobe pocket and not get lost, too.

I'll experiment on my geriatric mother (Thankfully she doesn't read this forum):sssh:

make sure you visit her every month and relube the threadings...I just relubed by mm with white lithium grease two days ago...the first relube it got in 8 years...now it really easy to twist the head, before some instances I almost had to use a wrench [when i tighten it too tight]

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Frisco:

She is still in the hospital and will probably be there for a few more days. When she gets out I will bring over a couple of lights for her to try. I assume she will need a walker so the suggest of get something to clip on it is a great idea. I might put a metal strip on the walker so the magnetic clip of the Safe-Light Super Bright can easily attach or detach from it. I appreciate all the suggestions. Looks like a long road of recovery. Her spirits are up so I have faith that she will be fine. Thanks again.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
abvidled, I'm giving my Mother one of those Ghost II lights for Xmas (obviously, along with other stuff. ;) ) I don't dare call her elderly but its a nice, compact size, looks fairly bright and uses only a single AA.

Actually, I'm ordering 5 and giving two away immediately; one to Mom, the other to my best friend's wife.

What are the other 3 for? As a CPFer, I should not be required to answer that. ;)

As for Minimags, and their ability to be easily turned on, you can refer to the 'grease' threads. If your white lithium grease is hardening on you, consider adding a drop of oil to the greased threads to "thin it out" some.

Some have said that Minimags aren't as well made as they used to be but I have two. One was made in 2005, the other around 1990. Both are well lubed with a light, Krytox grease and both turn like butter. :)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharpdog,

I've got around 20 hours of light with a SMJLED on 2xAA's before.
As far as the host, see if she can manipulate a Princeton Tec 20.
The body is flat as the 2 AA batteries are side by side. It can be worn around the neck with a lanyard without being too lengthy (It's just a few hairs taller than a Dorcy 1xAAA, I just checked)
Also, she can keep her fingers extended while holding on to the light. (Just hold between thumb and extended fingers.)
She could also rest the body on a corner of the table to help with turning it on if need be. The beam pattern offers alot of flood.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps add a mercury switch from an old thermostat to a cheap wal-mart 6V lantern. Align the switch so it only activates the lantern if it's not facing directly down. In otherwords, when she picks up the lantern, it lights. Placing it face down turns if off.

For more runtime and to get around the bulb burnout/filament breakage problem, buy a replacement LED. Keep in mind the polarity of the bulb base since many lanterns have negative polarity at the bulb tip.

Also buy one of those LED "auto on" emergency lights that plug into the outlet.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
The Photon Micro lights (or similar) are good suggestions. It's small and lightweight. I recommend the Photon Micro X-light - easy to EDC, large soft button that has some GID characteristic, and bright for it's size. Teach her strobe mode, when she's ready, for getting attention if she needs help.

gatordome

Newly Enlightened
My Mom is 87 years old. Her hands are not too arthritic, but she does have some distonia in her hands that makes it hard for her to grip or press too hard. She keeps a flashlight hanging from a hook by her bed to light her way to the bathroom at night.

Her favorite light was a little rectangular Black and Decker that had a slide switch and ran on a 9-volt battery. However, the bulb (PR48) blew, and I have not been able to locate another one. I have found xenon bulbs to fit, but they drain the battery too quickly.

I let her try a few lights. She went through several cheap ones from Wal Mart with slide switches, but none of them were dependable enough. I thought a Pelican M1 2310 with a button switch might work well, but she could not press the button hard enough to turn it on or off.

She finally settled on a Mini Mag 2AA with a Nite Ize 3-LED insert for bedside. There is a split ring through the lanyard hole to hang from the hook. The head is big enough for her to grab and easy enough for her to twist. The light and insert are available everywhere and cheap enough to replace if she misplaces it.

She also likes to keep a light in the kitchen to find things in the backs of cabinets. She chose a Mini Mag 2AA LED for that job.

Bottom line is that she chose 2AA Mini Mags for size, availability, and ease of use.

rbarkus

Newly Enlightened
My 90 year old mother really likes the multi-LED lights from Surplus Computers. I gave her the first one and she bought a second one for herself. She has also purchased several as gifts for her friends. The lights have a thumb switch, 8 LED's and use 3 AAA's. I just looked at their site and the price of two with shipping is $12.99. www.surpluscomputers.com

She found that the MiniMag AA's were too heavy and took both hands to turn on. Sometimes with her arthrites, one hand hurts enough that she appreciates the ability to turn the light on with one hand.

We didn't try a MiniMag AAA with the Luxeon mod, but I think that would also be a good choice except for the need to use two hands. I personally have one that is my primary light indoors.