What's next from Enrique / Muyshondt?

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR2 Aeon
CR123A Nautilus
AAA Mako

All signs point to an AA model with dual modes and long runtimes. Please please! :twothumbs

:popcorn:

MKLight

Enlightened
I would have thought the same thing, but from reading his blog it seems like he's not going that way...probably because of Nitecore's EZAA. It will be interesting to see what he has up his sleeve...maybe/hopefully he'll post something here...?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello HoopleHead,

I am working on something, but it's decidedly not a AA Mako. There are a couple of things in the pipeline, and the one that's coming out soonest is what I began discussing here. I wrote most of that post several months ago, but only released it until recently since only recently have things gotten close enough to fruition for it to be reasonable to discuss.

Outside of what's written there I'm afraid I have little else to say at the moment, though; I've been working on the light for some time now and don't want to go into details prematurely. I'll be posting some more information with regards to the design, progress, and photos of the prototypes in a few weeks, though, and will eventually make a thread here on the CPF about it when appropriate.

I'm sorry if my answer isn't as much as you'd like to know, but I do hope to discuss things in further detail with everyone in the near soon. :)

Take care.

-Enrique

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - I am going to take a WILD guess after reading the information for any "clues". The new light is a side-by-side AAA light. That would be really cool since it would still be thin for pocket carry but pack the 3 volts for efficiency. I always liked the UK 2AAA concept. And isn't a lithium AAA cell rated somewhere around 1200 mA?

I also like that improvements in LED efficiency mean longer running small lights. If a light already puts out an acceptable amount of light - its nice to get longer runtimes. It makes the light more useful.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello HoopleHead,

I am working on something, but it's decidedly not a AA Mako. There are a couple of things in the pipeline, and the one that's coming out soonest is what I began discussing here. I wrote most of that post several months ago, but only released it until recently since only recently have things gotten close enough to fruition for it to be reasonable to discuss.

Outside of what's written there I'm afraid I have little else to say at the moment, though; I've been working on the light for some time now and don't want to go into details prematurely. I'll be posting some more information with regards to the design, progress, and photos of the prototypes in a few weeks, though, and will eventually make a thread here on the CPF about it when appropriate.

I'm sorry if my answer isn't as much as you'd like to know, but I do hope to discuss things in further detail with everyone in the near soon. :)

Take care.

-Enrique
Hey Enrique do you think you will ever be able to make one of the north Texas GTG? Sure would like to see some of your work.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulator: That's some reading between the lines you've been doing there. ;) I do like flat lights, but the primary issue that I have in making one is the battery cap. If made from plastic, you can easily make something that just snaps on and off and stays waterproof, but to make something entirely out of metal is rather more complex (and expensive). I've tossed the idea around before, but haven't pursued a side-by-side of any kind due to cost.

saabluster: The DFW area is a rather long way away from where I live, so it's unlikely, but perhaps some day.

-Enrique

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, I'll keep a better eye on your blog. Can't wait for another knockout!

Primaries + long runtimes + usable light + reliability/durability is right up my alley. :twothumbs

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this so far. This attention to detail is like a work of art. There is a lot more to a light than just high lumens. Efficiency takes a lot more engineering and cost but makes a light so much more useful and valuable. I am amazed at how a tiny AAA light that you can have with you at all times can provide both good useful output and decent runtime. Efficeincy gains in LED's is making these tiny lights replacements for the old 2d lights of old. And you can have one on your person at all times.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am excited about this light.

I think Muyshondt is extremely talented (the Aeon is very impressive!) and I am curious about what he'll do here.

I am in love love love with my Fenix LD01 so it'll be neat to see a different take.

Code:
[FONT=courier new]        
        LENGTH              DIAMETER[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]LD01     73.5mm              14mm     [/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]EZAA     83.0mm             16.6mm[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]Zephyr    87mm               13.5mm[/FONT]

Overall, very close to the LD01, though significantly longer--longer even than the EZAA...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pair this one up with the Mako and you will have an outstaning, lightweight combination for backpacking as this one looks to complement the Mako nicely.

Enrique's lights are outstanding.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I can stop looking for my lost LD01 SS :grin2:

It's very long for a AAA light, but still significantly shorter than would be an issue. And it is very thin, which helps significantly with pocket carry. It sounds like you decided to make the circuit boards a bit smaller and taller - very good decision :thumbsup:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record, please count this as a +1 vote (actually +2, since I'd want 2!) for a Muyshondt AA light. My rationale and needs as an EDC'er are:

- I want an utterly reliable, simple, rugged, waterproof, two-stage twisty light.
- A decent high with over an hour runtime, ideally ~3.
- A usable low low with extremely long runtime.
- Tailstanding.
- Can use any battery type, for that specific size. Optimized for primaries.
- Drains batteries.

I think this is what you do best!

BUT for me though, in an emergency situation, I want to use a flashlight that I can very easily find batteries for, whether at a store or in my home or others homes. CR2s and really CR123As don't cut it IMHO. AAAs and even 9V are better. And AAs the best, the most readily available. If I can find that size, I know I can use it, and I can probably find AAs the easiest.

:twothumbs :naughty:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record, please count this as a +1 vote (actually +2, since I'd want 2!) for a Muyshondt AA light. My rationale and needs as an EDC'er are:

- I want an utterly reliable, simple, rugged, waterproof, two-stage twisty light.
- A decent high with over an hour runtime, ideally ~3.
- A usable low low with extremely long runtime.
- Tailstanding.
- Can use any battery type, for that specific size. Optimized for primaries.
- Drains batteries.

I think this is what you do best!

BUT for me though, in an emergency situation, I want to use a flashlight that I can very easily find batteries for, whether at a store or in my home or others homes. CR2s and really CR123As don't cut it IMHO. AAAs and even 9V are better. And AAs the best, the most readily available. If I can find that size, I know I can use it, and I can probably find AAs the easiest.

:twothumbs :naughty:

+1

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enrique did such a great job with the Mako, I may have to look into purchasing a AA torch from him as well. (as long as its a floody light)

Keep up the good work!

-Mayo

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

I'm glad some of you are looking forward to the light, though I'll say it's a bit premature to start making many assumptions or comparisons, as I've only posted the reasoning behind some characteristics of the light, as well as dimensions. There are some compelling features going into the Zephyr that I haven't seen in any other light released to date, much less in one in the AAA size class.

HoopleHead: I thought about making a Mako AA a while back, but do not feel there would be sufficient interest to merit a run of one, and there are other designs and ideas that I would like to pursue at present. Point taken, though, and I'll think about it in the future.

-Enrique

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
E: Any chance of a small updated run of either the Nautilus or Aeon in full on 6/4 Ti? Killing the brass heatsink and spiltring? And what are the chances of the 3 speed working it's way into the design, low, medium and high?

I feel these lights fill a niche not found on the CPF and it's a shame to see them out of production, never to return.