What's the best knife for self-defense?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the best knife for self defense?

Well Samoan, if you quoted the VERY NEXT LINE - "However having some basic understanding of how to defend myself would not be a bad idea." - you would see that having some basic understanding of how to defend myself is on my list. Also the training under Carl Cestari's is what I was refering to. This guys is a super master fighter black belt type guy. I think that level of training is currently above anything most of us would be able to do right now.

Deanster

Enlightened

One of the LEO's over on GlockTalk, who's very clearly BTDT, swears by two items for personal defense - #1 is a MiniMag (he doesn't address the sandwich issue, before you flashaholics ask).

Held in your fist with the lens under your thumb, he suggests that it's a truly amazing defensive weapon, especially when applied to an assailant's ribs.

#2 is a boot with a protruding sole, so it forms a hard ridge out in front. Old style USGI 'jungle boots' were like this, and several others from current manufacturers are similar. He suggests that applying them firmly to the shins of an assailant is remarkably effective in getting their attention.

These seemed to me to be two remarkably practical approaches where minor changes in one's gear could yield major defensive benefits. I've not had the misfortune to need to see if they work, but I thought I'd share.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

BBTL or Ryan.. either suit me if you'd like to use something shorter..

i also consulted my pops on this one, as he has a fear of cities and carries everytime he enters one and he mentioned this blade and this blade as his favorite smaller sheathable knives.. i'm not too familiar with them but it's more knives to look @ i guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

in fact, a good site to look around in general is www.agrussell.com since it has tons of easily accessible information on knives.

matt_j

Enlightened

Matt, could you expound upon "NYC is legally 4" - not palm - 4" to the handle/hilt - not edge length". What does 'not palm' mean? How does 4" 'to the handle hilt' differ from blade edge?

This means that a lot of people will tell you that legal limit is if your blade is shorter than palm of your hand. No it is 4 inches, not your palm. It came around to use palm as a guidline due to PD not carrying rulers on the street. Also blade length is measured from the tip of your knife to the hilt of the blade. That's your blade length not just the sharp stuff. Usually "perfect" lenght is 3.75'' as stated by manufacturer.

Matt

raggie33

*the raggedier*

id also agree that how ya walk makes a difence im small to around 5,4 140 lbs ,and i live in a pretty bad neeberhood but when im out walking i walk fast head up and aam very aware of my suronding most criminals are cowards and they rather take ya by suprise.far as knifes i wish i was more helpfull i know nothing about them lol only one i have is a 3 doller leatherman knock off and a ginsu for my kitchen lol

tygger

Enlightened

Why hasn't anyone ever bottled skunk spray. Better than mace. I'm pretty positive one spray of that at an attacker would be a fight stopper. Can you imagine?

matt_j

Enlightened

Heh not in NYC where trains, bums and side alleys smell worse than a skunk.

NoShadow

Enlightened
Re: What\'s the best knife for self-defense?

Purchase for yourself a Kubotan and hang your keys on it. For one thing, when you are out you will have it with you since you most likely will have to have your keys.

As far as knives are concerned, the best knife is the one you have with you when you need one. But it sounds to me like you should continue reading and learning about self-defense and awareness first and then make your selection.

The Kubotan is an excellent and simple device which you can learn to use with great effect with a minimum of expense.

Have a safe day..

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened

I used to spend some time on Bladeforums and this question came up from time to time. The advice most people gave was that unless you have training in using a knife for self defense, it is better not to carry one for that purpose. I think the main reasons were that for an untrained person, it would be too easy for someone else to disarm them and have the knife used against them. Also, there might be a false sense of security carrying a knife and using it when the better option may be to run. Is there a reason why you cannot carry mace or pepper spray? With an OC spray, you have a small distance advantage over a knife and it is a non-lethal option.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened

I would go with BlindedByTheLite's suggestion of the Spyderco Dodo (instead of the kerambit-IMHO-; it could be perceived as a knuckle device). Short wicked scalpel blade with a reverse curve, ambidextrous, one hand open and close(just be discrete if you desire to do so) using a ball lock. (think AXIS Lock) Due to it's small size blade, it's like a box cutter on steroids, and may not set off a red alert for a LEO. It can be used like an extension of your hand as a hooked claw. Rembember the Velocirapter claw scene in Jurassic Park?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find walking around with one of these strapped to your back, trouble tends to avoid you...
ExtremaT2000M-2.jpg

Im KIDDING of course. I second what ALan L says...if you're not trained to use a knife, theres a very good chance of your blade being taken off you and used against you.
If you do live in such a dangerous area that you need a weapon for self defence, id reccommend moving to a nicer neighbourhood. Or if that isnt feasable, learn to run real fast.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Alan_L said:
I used to spend some time on Bladeforums and this question came up from time to time. The advice most people gave was that unless you have training in using a knife for self defense, it is better not to carry one for that purpose. I think the main reasons were that for an untrained person, it would be too easy for someone else to disarm them and have the knife used against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

As sort of devil's advocate, I'll agitate against that view. No matter what knife guys pretend, the fact is, facing even a completely untrained guy with a knife is terrifying. Completely untrained people successfully hurt people all the time with knives. That's not to say that the most responsible advice isn't to get training first, but most assuredly it is not easy to disarm even a completely untrained guy with a knife, if he's defending himself with ferocity. And remember, your chances of defending yourself against a knifer trained in disarms is very low.

I'll even go a step further. There are a whole lot of schools teaching knife defense that tend to focus on knife-to-knife duels rather than realistic defensive situations. In some ways, training at these schools mat reduce your effectiveness with a knife, at lest for the first few years! Why? Because with training, you get used to a tactical duel, which a real-life defensive situation isn't very similar to. Your "untrained" instincts to whale away could very well be more effective than the technical duelish things you often learn in the first year or two of knife training at many (but not all) schools. If a real-life defensive situation starts close-in and explosively, like they usually do, a lot of those duelish techniques are immediately rendered moot.

So, in summary:
1. I disagree that someone untrained cannot successfully defend themselves with a knife. In real life, even an untrained person with a knife is a formidable, terrifying opponent.
2. Knife duel type sparring and training, and things like flow drills, and your skills in these things can distract from more effective real-life tactics, which you probably have some grip of already.
3. As southnarc says, a lot of your training should be where one person has the knife, the other doesn't -- it's not common that both guys get a knife out at the same time.

That said, of course seek training if you're serious about defending yourself with or from an edged weapon.

Joe

Frangible

Enlightened

The first rule of a gun fight, is to bring a gun...

That said, I'd reach for pepper spray before I reached for my knife.

Muppet

Newly Enlightened

The Spyderco Civilian was designed for non-expert people to defend themselves as a last resort. It's a hugely evil looking curved blade with a tip like a needle with no practical purpose whatsoever other than scaring the crap out of people. Don't know if it's the best knife for your purpose, but that's what it was made for.

Personally, I think any smallish one-handed opener with an inoffensive look and name is a decent choice. Kershaw makes some particularly benign looking knives which still open very, very fast - those might be good choices although otherwise they're unexceptional items.

All that said, have you considered a can of pepper spray and a hand-fitting carabiner on your key ring? Cop-style OC spray and something hard to smack people with is a pretty good combination without a lot of the problems implied by carrying an edged weapon for defensive purposes.

I'm no expert, but that's what I'd use in preference over a knife if I lived in a place where I worried about getting mugged. Unless somebody is explicitly trying to kill me, I'm not sure I want to get involved in a knife fight.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

<drone mode>
Will speak in fragments.

Some people don't read whole post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Repeating for those who keep missing it.

Not looking for fight.

Don't anticipate "knife fight".

Sometime can't run.

Asking for info on possible item of last resort.

Info so I can read more and learn.

Never said live in bad neighborhood.

Never said don't want training.

Can't spend lots of $$$. Will read about <$100 knives, but please no more $200+ stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
</drone mode>

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the clarification Matt. Now where in NYC are you? My area of New York is not nearly that stinky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I believe mace is illegal in NYC. Shunk is annoying, but doesn't 'drop me' or make me run away.

I agree w/ Joe that an untrained person w/ knife is still more dangerous than untrained person w/o knife. BTW, if this attacker is trained enough to disarm the knife from me, he'd probably be able to snap my neck if I had no knife....

Can somebody make an argument for a folder over a fixed blade? I still haven't really heard one.

BBTL, please give me mini-review of Corkum First Strike when you get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I love the way it looks, but it might be a bit big.

Is the Spyderco Civilian intentionally made so you CAN'T stab? Why would they do that? AGAIN, don't plan to stab, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif but why reduce my options?

The La Griffe looks nice, but that's also a slash only, right? Anything that sort of drop in between the Corkum and the La Griffe?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Is the Spyderco Civilian intentionally made so you CAN'T stab? Why would they do that? AGAIN, don't plan to stab, but why reduce my options?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making sense, for someone who claims not to know anything about this. In particular, someone with no training will be much better off being able to stab in a defensive situation -- it's what his natural instincts will scream at him to do, and beginners are usually not so good at slashing without really telegraphing what's coming and looping badly (at least until they've had training). The Civilian is a big scary speciality slasher, but I don't think a slashing-only knfie is what someone untrained should be betting their life on.

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody make an argument for a folder over a fixed blade? I still haven't really heard one

[/ QUOTE ]

If carrying a fixed blade is legal, then it's nearly always the best choice, IMO. Drawing and opening a folder when in fear of your life doesn't sound fun. Here in CA, fixed blades are a no-no, unfortunately. There are situations where you may be able to palm and have a folder ready easier than a fixed blade, but by and large fixed blade wins.

[ QUOTE ]
The La Griffe looks nice, but that's also a slash only, right? Anything that sort of drop in between the Corkum and the La Griffe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend either. La Griffe is awesome, but very small -- if you can carry something bigger, you should. Corkum has been getting bad reviews based on edge geometry and handling. For a strictly self-defense knife, forget the heavier overbuilt tacticals with thick edges, and go for something that's fast and cuts whatever it touches.

bwcaw

Enlightened

I like Benchmades. They make some of the best high end production folders around IMHO. I carry two benchmades on me at all times a small one and a big one. I don't intend using either as a weapon (running is better, lawyers don't need more money) but I guess you could use either one as a weapon if the need arose. I personally like the suggestion of grabbing your light and using it as a hand stick or kubotan. You can easily defend the use of that in court, a knife would be different. I have heard of judges that consider any stabbing as criminal regardless of who perpetrated it. I would reccomend carrying a knife, they are wonderful tools, and can be employed at very last desperate resort as a weapon, but remember you are opening yourself up for all kinds of litigation if you actually lay a blade on somebody. Be safe.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Best thing to do is pack up and move to a state that allows carry of a handgun. Amazing how violent crime rates drop when the bad guys know that the potential victim just may be armed.

Obviously, that's not realistic advice -- mindset and training are the key to surviving any defensive (or offensive) situation. A stick, OC spray and a servicable knife (all with some training), will help you survive -- emphasis on the "survive".

Even tho I'm usually legally carrying a pistol, I carry a knife at all times. I'll generally carry one of the mid-sized Kershaw assisted opening folders. They're more than adequate for the task and are inexpensive. If I have to dispose of it, I'd rather it be the $40 Kershaw than the $200 Emerson. I've also recently started sometimes carry of a large one-hand opening lock blade Swiss Army knife by Wenger. Much easier to convince a LEO or jury that a Swiss Army knife is just an innocent tool rather than that you're carrying a tanto to trim fingernails.

Training and attitude -- just do whatever you're most comfortable with. Good luck.

"Never take a knife to a stick fight" -- SSGT Waters, my first unarmed combat instructor.

ygbsm

Enlightened

As noted above, there appear to length restrictions on knives in NYC -- one issue that is apparent from these posts with blade length laws is how to measure blade length. Some people have said that you're not supposed to carry a fixed blade in NYC (don't quote me on that one). Also, one of the surplus stores in NYC was supposedly visited by the police recently and apparently some Benchmade manual folders, among others, were reportedly confiscated for an investigation into whether they might, for example, be "gravity knives." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Further to what "Mike" said above, another bit of food for thought may be the effect of the knife's appearance on a jury. This may be particularly relevant in a place like NYC, where the jury pool may include large numbers of what some around here refer to as "sheeple" -- people who might find the appearance of the blade of something like the Dodo as sinister (see what your NYC co-workers' reactions are to a picture of a Dodo). If someone has to use the knife in a defensive situation, there may be a good chance they will have to face a grand jury and maybe a better chance they will face a civil suit for damages (remember, this is NYC where it's not unheard of for criminals to sue for injuries they have received). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Imagine the task an attorney would face explaining how an innocent civilian was carrying one of those knives with a scary name and a blade that looks like a Velociraptor claw:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, my client was not looking for trouble in those early morning hours of that day in March -- he just happened to be carrying something called a Navy SEAL/Special Forces Super Duper COMBAT Eviscerator because he, uh, collects weapons, oh, I guess that doesn't sound so good, strike that, uh, because his gay neighbor said the color scheme went with his eyes, yeah that's it... No, seriously, it's because the claw shaped blade can do double duty as a back scratcher, yeah that's the ticket, nothing more sinister than that. He's really a sensitive person, never looks for a fight, yeah, that's it...") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

The prosecutor or the plaintiff's attorney would probably try and waive that knife around as much as possible. Which would be easier to explain to a jury or look more "innocent" a sturdy kitchen knife or a fixed blade with a guard that looks like it's right out of Conan the Barbarian (although, if fixed blade carry is not permitted, all bets are off)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif