What's the brightest LED ? what's the chance they will replace Flourescent lights in

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Handlobraesing said:
I just don't see the economical benefit in LED general lighting UNLESS, they significantly exceed the efficacy of the currently available fluorescent system with a price tag low enough to have a cost advantage and not just the stated 100,000 hour life, but actually backed by warranty.
I agree that it'll be long time before it makes economic sense to replace fluorescents with LEDs, but within a few years wholesale replacement of incandescent lamps looks very likely to happen. Even putting aside the benefits of 100,000 hour, the coming 150 lm/W LEDs will consume 1/10 to 1/15 of the power of the incandescents they replace.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
jtr1962 said:
What's interesting here is that triphosphor tubes have large peaks and valleys in their spectrum yet offer CRIs as high as 86 while the spectral plot of an white LED is much smoother yet the CRI is typically in the high 70s. Another thing which came up in another thread during a discussion about using RGB LEDs for general lighting was a study NewBie linked to that showed CRI wasn't terrible important. People actually largely preferred several combinations of RGB LEDs with CRI far lower than the other light sources used for comparison. Maybe we need a new metric here.

Yes, we do! I mentioned this several times....and I hope I can prove this by doing a study + college paper this summer. The LRC in troy, NY did a similar study which can be found here: http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/solidstate/pdf/CRIForLED.pdf

*Retired*
Re: What's the brightest LED ? what's the chance they will replace Flourescent lights in

Actually, NIST is working on a new set of color chips that are more aggressive in determining CRI right now.

From my experience, in most situations, folks greatly prefer the RGB LED lighting of areas. Many of the colors become alot more vivid.

Unfortunately, cameras respond differently than the human eye, by a surprising margin, and it is difficult to show the results. Even worse, is trying to display these photos on the common low color gamut monitors and LCDs people use on their computers. This is definitely something that needs to be seen in person.

However, the tri-band phosphor, even with high CRI, appears deficient when compared to the RGB LED approach.

On to the next thing. I found an old cool white fluorescent bulb today and took a measurement, and obtained a new cool white fluorescent bulb of the same exact part number, and measured it too. I also did a plot of unfiltered direct sunlight, which is something I've been wanting to do for quite some time, but never had the chance.

coolwh1.jpg

coolwh3.jpg

sunligh2.jpg

Last edited:

Dragon

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's the brightest LED ? what's the chance they will replace Flourescent lights in

What do you think of this flourescent tube?

What is the best in your opinion?

I've ascertained that not all electronic ballasts are equal. Which are the better ones, or, which to avoid?

Or, should I just start a new thread? :p

Stephen7372

Newly Enlightened

Whats the latest ?I've seen some 100 lumems /watt leds but I wondered what the catch was I mean will they be the be all and end all in a couple of years?

Latest posts