What's the most unusual/stupidest/weirdest thing you've done with your flashlight?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once flashed myself with an HID light. It was totally unintentional; it slipped out of my hands and while trying to catch it I blasted myself... instant headache. :green:

Wow....you survived?

Mdinana

Enlightened
Made a self-portrait (from an old thread).

SN853290.jpg

Geoff
Well I guess you're easy to see at the SHOT show, right?

-Shining up at sinuses = transillumination. I do it occasionally with patients.
-Also, using a light to find veins helps with old folks and kids. Red lighs work best.
-I've used my E2L as a hammer a few times, my mags too back in my Boy Scout days (hammering tent stakes).
-Hand warmer.
-locator beacon for friends in an apartment complex
-road "flare"

Tomcat!

Enlightened
A little immature, but if your friends dig your lights you might as well let them:eek:: I was at boy scouts last night and I was talking to one of my friends about flashlights "as we normally do" and I mentioned how funny the guys at PF12 thought my cardboard hexagon light was. He asked if he could see it, so I said sure and after the meeting I brought him over to my car, I gave it to him to try out and he thought is was the greatest thing since sliced bread, he's seen my 4400 lumen Bigbeam "the sun" light so I didn't think he'd enjoy it so much, but with it's pencil thin beam and no side spill he couldn't get over it, next thing I knew, he started shouting "I am Sauron!" and "The Eye of Sauron sees you!" :crackup:while holding the light up over his head panning it around and hitting the low clouds. "The eye of Sauron AKA the big flaming eye on top of the dark tower in lord of the rings" Now I'm laughing because it had never accrued to me how much the light was like the eye of Sauron being so small and having such a piercing beam. Then he runs over to my car telling me we had to drive past the corn fields so he could use the light:poke:;). So we jump in my car and slowly start driving down past the large fields near the church, all the while he was yelling "obey the Mighty Sauron!":crackup: it was quit funny, probably because it was so random he is pretty goofy:hitit:. In his honor, my new more powerful version of this light I'm building will be called "The Eye of Sauron":devil::whistle:;).

And when you test The Eye of Sauron it must be on a hill top with a big PA system strapped to the roof of the car for your buddy to go really nuts.
:tinfoil:

fareast

Enlightened
I thought it was odd at first: One of my non-CPF flashaholic friends occasionally uses the ROP-LO I gave him to recharge one of his solar-powered watches. He repairs watches as a hobby.

:crackup:I have been doing the same for many times now! It never occurred to me it would be classified as weird flashlight usage....

MWClint

Enlightened
I use the stainless steel LD01 when working on the car.. did a tranny flush last night..got tranny fluid everywhere..stuck LD01 in mouth.

:caution: used tranny fluid doesnt taste good.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
The most unusual thing I ever did was use a couple of my lights as headlights. I was riding home from my girlfriends place in the middle of the night late last summer on my Bimota DB5R. I was way out in the country, about 3 miles from my house, when the high beam on the bike started flickering, then went out, I tried switching to low beam, but it was out as well. Smelled some wiring burning. I disconnected the battery and isolated/disconnected the burned up wiring in the headlight circuit. I had an L1 and an E2L Defender with me, so I used some electrical tape to fasten both lights to the bike's forks. Aimed them as best as possible, put both on high mode, and viola, hillbilly headlamps. Worked good enough to get me home safely.

As for stupid...

Wondered how bright one of my L1 heads would be direct driven with two 123 primaries on an E2 body. Pretty darn bright, no apparent ill effects. Wondered how bright it would be with two 3.7v rechargeables. :poof:

Wondered how bright a P60L module from one of my 6PLs would be in my 9P. A bit brighter, no ill effects. Then wondered how bright it would be with three 3.7v rechargeables. Quite a bit brighter, for a few seconds, then... :poof:

Wonderd how much brighter my L2 would be on two 3.7v rechargeables. A bit brighter in both modes....for a while, then...:poof:...funny blue light in high mode, then no high mode at all, only low.

:oops::stupid: Playtime is over. Will feed my lights the recommended diet from now on. Honest I will.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh good grief, onuris.. next time you're curious.. send the light to me! I'll tell you if it'll die or not..

btw..the answer is.. YES!

bob4apple

Enlightened
I gotta wonder if I'm the only one who spent an entire morning putting multiple coats of Turtle Wax on his lights. (I really, really hope not!).

callmaster

Enlightened
When I got my MCE x 3 in the drop in for the mag. I was amazed at the brightness. But I wanted to see the leds all lighted up, so I looked. Made me sick for abit.

That didn't stop me though, was showing it again to one of my co workers and he said he'd pay me $5 to stare into it when it was on. So I did it and BAM. Sick for a bit again, but I made me $5.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most unusual?

In 2005 we were above sea level in a 175 year old house in New Orleans that was undamaged and unflooded when hurricane Katrina blew through. We had everything we needed to remain there for months. The city began using force to illegally remove citizens from thier undamaged, unflooded homes. In the aftermath of the storm it was unclear how much help the city would get from the federal government in this illegal endeavor. Ultimately thousands of residents were removed by force, often at gunpoint, from their homes and relocated.

We used dim lights with blue/green beams to keep from being spotted by the police, the military and every 'alphabet group' brought in -- whether they were equipped with Night Vision Gear or not.

By some official estimates, when hurricane Rita came through a couple weeks after Katrina the New Orleans area's population had been reduced from 460,000 to ~400. We were there the whole time -- reading and listening to audiobooks

It was the most unusual six weeks I've ever spent. We probably couldn't have done it without the blue/green lights.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I've used my E1B to slide along my pregnant fiance's belly -- it sometimes makes the baby kick. :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the craziest thing you've done with a flashlight?

For example, this evening I strapped my Jet III-M to my lawnmower and mowed in complete darkness. My motivation was sound - at 9pm it was 29 celcius... I don't really want to mow in the heat of the day.

I figured the Jetbeam is one of the best built lights getting around, so it's be up for being strapped to a mower for 45mins. Came through without a scratch!

My wife thinks I'm certifiable...

What's the most eyebrow raising, maddest, insane thing you've done with a flashlight?

Last edited:

beanexample

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's the craziest thing you've done with a flashlight?

Stuck it through the windshield of an idiot that tried to run me over (I was on duty)... it was funny watching the car go down the street with my light on (an sl20 stream light) shining up in the air

Ten minutes later when the car was found abandoned and the policedog got to bite the guy he got to see the other end of a flashlight...

such is justice

Conte

Enlightened

One time a buddie and I, went out to explore this abandoned Jail building hiding in the middle of no where bush just 30k South of my town.

You can drive most of the way, but the last 5 click are too rough of road, so we took a quad and a mini with us.
The quad was my new toy, I rode it. Buddie rode the mini bike.

We kind of miscalculated . . . The time of day we got there, how long we'd be there . . . Night had well fallen by time we left and the Mini Bike had no light.

Knowing I could more confidently handle the bike, I clipped my trusty Fulton to the collar of my shirt and drove the thing back with that as my light. And yes, I did wipe out at one point going over the bars with the bike flipping completely over me. I was perfectly fine, I got up, cheered, high fived buddie who still looked in shock and got back on the bike.

If you don't know what a Fulton is, its those angle head flashlights the army uses. MX-911/U is the model number. Probably one of the most well rounded useful flashlights I've ever owned. I have over 60 flashlights, including high output Mags and tiny kick *** Surefires, but when I have to get the job done, and need to bring one good light, I always go for the Fulton . . . Cause I can clip in on my shirt collar in a pinch . . .

At the time and for the last few years I was running it off 2x18650 Li-Ion cells and an HPR51 Halogen PR bulb. Giving my about 6 watts.
Right now I run it off 2x26650 LiFepo4 cells and an overdriven HPR44 bulb giving me 9.6 watts with output matching a MagCharger. Think ROP-Low. It's jsut long enough to fit 2x65mm cells without Mods and the stock metal reflector can take the heat. I upgraded to glass lens tho.

Egsise

Banned

Well my brothers hobby is airsoft..
We were thinking how durable his Fenix TK11 glass lens is, he chickened but we tested my TK20.
Point blank range a few shots to the glass with 0.2g plastic BB's at 330fps/100ms(measured).
TK20 was ok after that.

balou

Enlightened

This one time, at band camp...

*SCNR* :nana:

T0RN4D0

Enlightened

Probably the craziest thing I (we) attempted with a flashlight was searching for a 20l buoy, with an old sailboat in the middle of two islands, using a 3$ AA flashlight with depleted batteries in pitch black.

We found it eventually after a few circles, because we knew apox where it was by the lights on the nearest island... And the flashlight helped us when we we got witihn a few feet from it. :thinking:

We thought we'd park the sailboat by day, but it wouldnt start for 2 hrs lol.