What's the smallest brightest LED flashlight

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the smallest brightest LED flashlight

I prefer broad hotspots and that turned down NX05 is VERY pretty.

Wong

Newly Enlightened

Thank you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

moses

Enlightened
Pierce M10 comment

Quick comment on the Pierce M10. IF you like it with the current NX-05 optics, you should try it with the NX-01. I have a NX-01 optic on it and it absolutely blows away the NX-05 in usability/focus and much larger amount of directed light. There's no comparison for me in usability. The designer of Pierce agrees but he has to use NX-05 simply because of availability. Incidentally, I make the comment above knowing that you mileage may vary but trying with two Pierce gave the same results.

Hard to explain with the NX-01 but if you have one, try it. The reason it works so well is that the NX-01 is suspended a bit above the luxeon and tightening the light beam a bit.

I've not tried any Fraen but I think that will also be a winner. If you have the Fraen, would like to hear your comments also.

Blessings,
Moses

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pierce M10 comment

We all have our preferences but IMHO, I have to agree with sithjedi333. My Firefly uses the reflector and it's THE best beam I've ever seen in a small light. Perfectly centered, round hotspot with really nice sidespill. I've tried ALL of the optics in it, (tuned and otherwise), and the beam with the reflector is superior by far. When the CR2 body became available, it made a super light even handier and much smaller. A Firefly with the 123/CR2 bodies, 2 stage switch and reflector is just hard to beat!

That JIL REV though looks extremely interesting and TINY!

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened

I don't know the specs, but the smallest light i have right now that is very bright is the JIL CR2 1.3W. This can be bought at the BST light section. Man this thing is small yet seriously bright. It has displaced my KL1/FB1 combo as keychain EDC.
JIL CR2 1.3w

iimagine

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
TrueBlue said:
[ QUOTE ]
AZLight said:
[ QUOTE ]
iimagine said:
Have you seen my Pierce M10 light? Check out the size and the power output. It may truly be the smallest light for its brightness.

Go to ebay and search on "Pierce M10"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I just bought your flashlight on ebay with my monthly beer money. It better be good otherwise I will be in the dog house because my wife said so.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pierce M10 is the smallest/brightest I have for a light.

The M10 is the same height and slightly wider than a Fire~Fly 2. My Fire~Fly 2 has a TW0J emitter, Wizard 2 650, and measures 640 on my lux meter.

My M10 runs exactly 500mA and puts out 670 lux. Essentially the two lights are the same lux output.

When the M10 is switched over to high output the current draw is 1060mA and the lux reading jumps to 1080. The M10 easily out lights the Fire~Fly with almost 70% more light.

Far smaller than the Fire~Fly or M10 would be my beautifully made Katokichi Ichishiki CR2 light. The KI light puts out a lot of lux for its size. I get 930 lux out of my KI light that runs at 630mA. In a month I might have something for the KI light that will beat the 930 lux and could match or exceed the M10. That is another story about something that presently doesn't exist.

The M10 is currently my bet for small and bright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the kind review. For your information, I just received some pictures of the new body from my machinist. It will be even shorter and thinner than the current configuration.

You can go to my website to see the new body picture.

www.pierceflashlight.com

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Dandrop said:
I don't know the specs, but the smallest light i have right now that is very bright is the JIL CR2 1.3W. This can be bought at the BST light section. Man this thing is small yet seriously bright. It has displaced my KL1/FB1 combo as keychain EDC.
JIL CR2 1.3w

[/ QUOTE ]

Man!! The KL-1/FB-1 setup is my fav small head/body EDC right after my HDS basic 60.
I just ordered a jill 1.3, now I gotta wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I am gonna freak if it's as bright and throw like a KL-1 !!. VDG

cy

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:cy,I have to respectfully disagree with you on using the S017XA reflector in the Fire~Fly. You do not have to remove any of the reflector surface. It definitely yields a brighter hotspot than the tuned NX05, with very useable spill. It really is a very impressive beam. The output is similar to a Nuwai Q3, but with a brighter hotspot and slightly dimmer spill (the Q3 is known for being a little more floody than other 17mm reflectors).

[/ QUOTE ]

sithjedi333, brighter hotspot doesnot always equate to highest lumens. if you are comparing to a stk Q3. My FF with tuned optic and MM+ R2H way exceeds output of Q3. naturally a brighter hotspot gives better throw.

sure if you can squeeze an so17 reflector inside FF's head without any reflector loss. that would be great!

it's not for a lack of trying. I've destroyed my share of so17 reflectors trying to get one to fit the stock FF head.

usually by the time you trim down so17 small enough to fit inside FF head. you have removed a huge amount of reflective area.

Are you enlarging FF head to fit so17 without reflective area loss? or are you thinning back of so17 to fit? hmmm

I've used both a tuned NX-05 beam and properly fitted so17 w/sammie light (cnc 123). I like both.

you cannot apreciate the magic of an tuned NX-05 optic until you try one.

I agree with Moses, if you can get your hands on NX-01. it puts out a wonderful beam. never seen a cut-down version of NX-01 for FF.

sithjedi333

Enlightened

cy,

I didn't have to modify the head on any of my Fire~Flies, I simply thinned the reflector, created a 1-2mm "ledge" at the wider end that sits on top of the copper head. Because of this ledge, the bezel screws down properly, no space-filling o-ring between the bezel and reflector is necessary. The surface is slightly warped in some areas, but still reflective and not removed. I'm sure I could have done a more perfect job if I were more patient, but I'm incredibly happy with the resulting beam. I tried the tuned, focused flood of the NX05 for several months, but prefer the beam of the SO17XA because of the tighter brighter hotspot and wider spill. The reflector requires less centering and tuning effort than the optics, in my experience. I have not tried an NX01, but turning one down is beyond my sad abilities anyway.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened

Voodoogreg:
I have been following your various posts about the KL1/FB1. We both share the same liking for that combo, particularly for the great throw vs size. I love my KL1/FB1 (as much as you do)but sometimes it gets clunky in my pockets. I have been edc'ing the same combo for many many months now and i'm still looking for a smaller light with the same or greater throw.

The JIL is very small and light. The entire light is smaller than the FB1 body alone. The JIL does not have the throw of the KL1 (not even close), but the output is very surprising given its size. What it lacks in throw, it gains in useable spill. Maybe i'll go back to the KL1/FB1 eventually, but for now the JIL rides in my pocket.

Now, If someone can point me to a flashlight that has the throw of a KL1 with the size of the JIL... i would conclude at least Voodoogreg and i would have found our 'perfect' edc light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:

Man!! The KL-1/FB-1 setup is my fav small head/body EDC right after my HDS basic 60.
I just ordered a jill 1.3, now I gotta wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I am gonna freak if it's as bright and throw like a KL-1 !!. VDG

[/ QUOTE ]

cy

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:
cy,I didn't have to modify the head on any of my Fire~Flies, I simply thinned the reflector, created a 1-2mm "ledge" at the wider end that sits on top of the copper head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explaination. how did you thin reflector down? slowly by hand or turn on a lathe?

it sounds like an excellent way to do a FF reflector. personally I like both reflector and tuned NX-05 optic.

both give wonderful beams.

now back on topic. my three stage Li14430 w/CR2 li-ion puts out more lumens per cubic inch than any other small light I'm aware of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

I started out with the NX-05 in my FF and then switched to a turned down NX-01 and I also concur with Moses as the NX-01 produced a much better beam. After that, a reflector and IMHO, the reflector's beam is FAR superior to both but we all have different opinions. To me, the FF with a reflector, original REV.1 shorter body, the CR2 body, and 2 stage switch in each is about as good a small light package as is out there.

sithjedi333

Enlightened

cy,

I did it by hand with a Dremel tool. First I clipped off the legs with a pair of plier/snippers. Then I used the cylindrical sanding bit that is about 3/4 inch long by 1/2 inch in diameter. I went on the lowest speed setting and went slowly, following the curvature of the reflector. At the wide end I created the ledge like PeterB's mod here , but with a shorter ledge about 1-2mm high, otherwise our reflectors look very similar. He modified his copper head, but I did not have to.

The key is to take your time. Even on the lowest setting the Dremel makes a lot of heat, warping the reflective surface. I may try it again, using the cutting instead of sanding tools and finishing up with hand files, but even though the reflector looks ugly the beam is beautiful.

The reflector also fits into the original Fire~Fly head, although it's a slightly tighter fit.

Hope that helps. Yes, any LL is to die for, unfortunately they're made of unobtanium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

NetMage

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Dandrop said:
Voodoogreg:
I have been following your various posts about the KL1/FB1. We both share the same liking for that combo, particularly for the great throw vs size. I love my KL1/FB1 (as much as you do)but sometimes it gets clunky in my pockets. I have been edc'ing the same combo for many many months now and i'm still looking for a smaller light with the same or greater throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does the KL1 head compare to the E1E head? I bought a Chop modified E1E head on an FB1 and while I keychain my Arc AAA (need my nano!), I carry the E1E/FB1 in a coat pocket - it's smaller than my Q3.

iimagine

Newly Enlightened

Moses, I agree with you regarding the out of production NX01 being much better if you need a tighter beam when compared to the NX05. Currently, I am including an NX01 with all my Pierce M10 sales on eBay (while my very limited supply last). You can check it out on eBay by searching "Pierce M10" for the 1000 mA Luxeon III flashlight.

iimagine

Newly Enlightened

I am finally able to sell the Pierce M10 either directly or through a buy it now on eBay. For anyone who is interested please email me directly at [email protected] or simply go to eBay to bid with BUY IT NOW.

Thanks
Sam

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Dandrop said:
Voodoogreg:

The JIL is very small and light. The entire light is smaller than the FB1 body alone. The JIL does not have the throw of the KL1 (not even close), but the output is very surprising given its size. What it lacks in throw, it gains in useable spill. Maybe i'll go back to the KL1/FB1 eventually, but for now the JIL rides in my pocket.

Now, If someone can point me to a flashlight that has the throw of a KL1 with the size of the JIL... i would conclude at least Voodoogreg and i would have found our 'perfect' edc light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD!

Now that I have the jil lite (1.3) for a week or so we are in true agreement! I am a throw man, but the jill strikes a almost perfect balance in flood and throw, ( little more hot spot would be perfect, but even now it's still near perfect!)

Jil is on me 24/7,,( that sounded weird!) aside from my basic 60, if i need more throw i will grab a KL-1/VG, and don't get me wrong, it's still in my top four list, but the jil will do most anything i need.

In the same way the 4t gen KL-1' were getting called laser's and light saber's the jil get's called just a flood but it has a lot of throw, period. I can light up thing's my LSH-P can't.

One other thing,, I was under the impression that the CR2 would drain real quick,this has not been the case with mine.
It seem's to be a little less then my KL-1's, so a CR2 is better then I was led to believe, or the jil lite has very good regulation.
In a way the size is just a nice addtional feature, as opposed to why I ordered, a tiny light with ok power. i recommend this thing to anyone as an EDC, much less a tiny "cool" light. VDG

iimagine

Newly Enlightened
Pierce M10 update

Hey for those who are interested, there has been a new review by a CPF member for my new Pierce M10. This flashlight was in development for 1.5 years and is finally avail in prototype form with production version probably by late August. I am very pleased to say that the feedback I have received back supports the clear fact that it is one of the brightest flashlight out there for its size. 1000mA of highly efficient driven Luxeon III!!

If you are looking for a bright flashlight in a small package, you owe it to yourself to check out the review.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=948433&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Thanks.