what's to hate about Mags?

bwcaw

Enlightened
Re: what\'s to hate about Mags?

My personal opinion is: Mags Suck, the company sucks, the management sucks, the lights themselves suck, and the r/d dept. is non existant as far as i know. Every mag that I could find around the house has been shot, sawed into peices, and burned. I will not suffer the existance of one of those lights in my house.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I'll throw something out here that, as far as I can tell, has NOT been mentioned when talking about good/bad things about mag.

The focusing mechanism...

Holey beam or no holey beam, I like their focusing system. It could be improved with a different reflector/etc, but the basic cam action design is unique as far as I know.

We can **** and moan about their legal actions and whatnot, but even if they just sat on their butt (wait... they already do that) and did not sue anyone frivilously, they still hold the patent for the focus mechanism.

I compare it to my stinger. The stinger has a spot to flood focus. If you have ever used one, you know that amongst other problems, it is slow to use.

In fact, every other light that has variable focus does not have the quickness and convenience of mag's system.

Now, I'd rather not debate the virtues/shortfalls of SF fixed focus here... ok?

I completely agree that the arc aaa suit is crap. However, what specifics do we really know about their suits concerning brinkmann/et al?

Another thing about the stinger. Even with its different reflector, it still has a very noticable black hole in the center of its wide focus. Apparently mag is not alone in this problem.

Ok, I now await the return volley of arrows.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i recall seeing pictures of the alleged brinkmann copy of the maglite, and i'd have to say the lawsuit against brinkmann was justified, as the light was very obviously a copy of the mini maglite. however, knowing the specifics of the maglite/arc lawsuit, i have to insist the lawsuit against is baseless and unfair, and that was when i started to hate the maglite company.

i wouldn't say maglite's r&d department is non-existant though. they've continually updated their product line in subtle ways, the most recent example being the redesign of the C-cell maglites. my first maglite was a 4D, and one of the things i disliked about it was the number of times i had to turn the head to remove it. the newer D-cell maglites have the threaded portion shortened. if i'm not wrong the D-cell maglites were completely revamped in the early 90's.

i like maglite's products, but i strongly disagree with their legal action against arc. no offence to anyone, but i think destroying any maglites we own to take out our frustrations on the company itself, is tantamount to cutting off your nose to spite your face. what good does it do besides satisfying some urge to cause some perceived or symbollic damage to the company? i'll just refrain from buying anymore maglites as far as possible. the only recent exception to this flashlight-diet i've imposed on myself is the space needle II i bought from mrbulk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am thinking of a parallel as to attitudes here regarding beams, etc.
I have been a hunter and rifleman most of my life. I decided many years ago that for big game 1.5 moa was sufficient accuracy. I have never known anyone who could shoot better than than or that good in the field from field positions.
Yet I know those who would not settle for less that 1.0 moa accuracy in their big game accuracy and will load their big game guns to less velocity to get that accuracy. In my mind it sometimes defeats the reason for that particular cartridge and rifle. In use it has no reason other than mental.

Now as to Mag Lights, I still use them and like them except for the size. It is not important to me that there may be a small black hole in the beam or that it is not perfectly round. It is just a tool and the usefulness of it is not impacted by the less than perfect beam. It still picks out every detail I need to see for my purposes.

I understand the desire for perfection, and especially among hobbyist, such as CPFers. But the Mag light's lack of perfection does not diminish its usefulness, and for me it is a best buy for a light in its size range.

I don't know anything about the lawsuits, and I can understand why one might be offended at some point, but I have not seen anything that would make me refuse to buy one on the infringement basis alone.

Jerry

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chamenos,

You forgot to also mention the wonderful different colors and patterns that the Maglite R & D department has designed. I'm still holding out hope for a tartan pattern.

On the other hand, the cam focusing mechanism is something you don't even think about until you try other lights-it really is well done.

cheese

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

the only thing i really don't like about Maglites, is they're not sandproof, and the beam gets too dim/yellow too soon on the ones i've owned..

i've only owned Minimags, but many friends and relatives have larger Maglites.. my uncle for instance, has a 5D Mag, and i like it just fine.. it's just a tough call when you could get something much smaller with rival brightness..

as for durability, you'd probly have to bend one to stop the batteries from alligning to get it to stop working.. they're tougher than any other light i've bought off the shelf, and the focusing is tough to beat.. plus a spare bulb in the light..
a new reflector would seriously make Maglites tons better in my opinion.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like tsg68, I too have an ancient blue & silver 3D gaglight which will continue to reside in my car.

As a consumer, I embrace this nation's (mostly) capitalistic monetary policies and vote with my money every time I make a purchase. I really do consider who gets my money and will not buy anything from the Newell/Rubbermaid group, Wallmart, gaglight, and other, poor, corporate citizens.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheesehead: my bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i have to say the camo pattern does look good. i have a mini-maglite with the camo finish just for keepsake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif i concur regarding the focusing mechanism; i've always thought it was a pretty ingenious design.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

As a flashaholic, the light performance is mediocre at best. Still, I can appreciate the parts of the C and D Mags that are decent works of engineering. The focusing mechanism is one. Although it is not manufactured to high tolerances and there is an awful amount of slop, it is fundamentally a good design. The switch assembly has undergone a few iterations and today, is quite robust within its design limits. While there is nothing particularly novel about using a pen-clickie mechanism for the switch core, their implementation is self-cleaning, rugged and simple. I'd say a Mag is the epitome of the everlasting $18 flashlight. Beyond that, it is the best big-bore modding platform out there today, IMO. The AA is as plentiful as roaches in a Chinese restaurant in NYC, but it's also the most popular small-bore modding platform out there.

Wilkey

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chamenos, I was going to buy a camo AA as a sandwich host at a hardware store about a week before the Arc SHTF and I held off cause I had a huge amount of tools and supplies to carry home and didn't want to add to it. Now I've sworn off of Mags but I still eyeball the camo one (No I won't break I tell ya, I won't!!!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

A Maglite was used in a homocide here a few months back. It was determined that the first blow to the brain housing was the fatal blow... all subsequent blows just made a mess. So I guess ya gotta at least love the Mag for working the first time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Sasha,
That's a good one, but will it work first time every time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
Sasha,
That's a good one, but will it work first time every time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm... good point... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ... I'm not so sure I wanna be part of that R&D though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Ohhhh it WILL work every time, the first time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

magmace_1.jpg

Now, as far as actually producing light? ah well, nope. no go hehe

Pic provided by Roth. M&gMace

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Now there's an obvious violation or infraction! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But wait, it's an anti-roll device! Uh Huh, come along.....

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

What size was the maglite that was used? I mean, with the larger 6D, it seems like it would work better, but you'll get better speed with a smaller light.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
the only thing i really don't like about Maglites, is they're not sandproof, and the beam gets too dim/yellow too soon on the ones i've owned..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is exactly right. I disliked Maglites before I knew any of the other things that have only increased my dislike.

Here's the deal: grab a brand new mag off the store shelf, turn it on, and you will think, "This is a good value for the money. The fit and finish are good. It's aluminum. It's water proof. It focuses. etc." OK. Now put it on your kitchen counter top and let it get only occasional daily use. After only one or two battery changes TOPS, you will have a dim yellow beam annoying flashlight. This goes especially for mini-mags. I've owned three of these over the years, and I use them all the time at work. I have learned all the tricks. I don't touch the new bulb when I replace a bulb, and I wipe it with rubbing alcohol just to make sure. I've even cleaned the sockets where the bi-pins go in. And do you know what I've found EVERY TIME? After only a dozen or so hours of use NOTHING you do will bring it back to what it was when new. And I'm fanatical about taking care of my stuff. I love to perform routine maintenance.

Now, what happens to your average Joe or Jane? Their 2D or 3D mag sits around and when they go to use it it is dim as can be, but they don't notice because they have never experienced anything better. Over Christmas I visited my parents and at one point my Dad and I went outside to do something and he brought his 2D mag and I brought my Arc LSH-S, and the Arc was at least three times as bright. Perform the experiment. Do it. Visit a friend or relative and test out their maglites. 90 percent of them will be yellow and dim to a disconcerting degree, and it probably won't improve much with a battery change. I don't know whether it is resistance in the switch or lamp base or threads or just plain bad lamp designs or what, but the reasons to dislike maglite flashlights, separately considered from the company, are that they are heavy, bulky, scratch easily, have terrible beams, have dim beams, have yellow beams, and degrade quickly with time to the point where they can not be rejuevenated.

Just one man's experience here. Your mileage may vary.