Whats your Preferred Form Factor

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC, a single cell will rule, especially in pocket carry. Come wintertime I have a 2-cell in my coat pocket, though there are plenty of C and D lights near the door for a little more "heft"..

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a McGizmo Mc Lux III PD; I find it to be the perfect EDC light. I always have an Arc-P on my key chain.

greenLED

Flashaholic
One cell lights (AA, AAA, 123) have a special place in my heart BUT, some of them are too small for my hands. So, depending on what I'm doing I'll grab a 2x123 light.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
By personal preference, I belt carry, so I feel I have a little more flexability than pocket carry. Generally, all 123's and rechargeable. Lately, it has been a Novatac 120P. Two cell lights would include e-series (L1, E2e, etc.) The largest light I have EDC'd is an A2.

I am really considering some AA's.

Best Regards:
Bob

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think in terms of a good length for hand holding plus light weight and massive light output the best is probably something like the Lumapower M1 which is a 2xCR123A (or 1xrechargeable) formfactor.

For a 2xAA formfactor, which also works well sizewise in your hand, a Fenix L2D ** (multiple LED options now) is great, and you can get interchangeable tubes so you can run it as a 1xAA and even a 1xCR123A formfactor if you wish.

I've had people use several of my lights and the M1 has proved the most popular by far.

if you want something small in your pocket at all times, then something in an 1xCR123A EDC formfactor will be useful, but you should check it out in your hand to see if you are comfortable with it. There, ergonomics plus type of on/off switch is important, especially so you can manipulate it (and cycle through the multiple light output modes) with one hand.

I find that an SF L1 can do this, but it is a bit on the large side. The Fenix P1D CE (or equivalents) is also great for this, but it is a twisty and a bit hard to use one-handed. A McGizmo Ti-PD-S works absolutely fabulously, but of course is massively expensive. The new Novatac in a tactical formfactor should work well (I don't have it, but it has a good following here), but the new (not even out yet) HDS is a twisty and I wonder whether it could be manipulated single-handedly.

Finally, for REALLY small formfactors, you could consider something like the Fenix L0D ** (different versions, using XRE CREE, Rebel 80, and now a "special" with Q4 bin). It uses a 1xAAA and can be carried around on your key-ring! And it puts out amazing light output for the size and lasts a good amount of time as well on a single AAA.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
2 cell lights for me either AA or CR123. I prefer something more substantial. Anything smaller I would probably lose in my pocket without noticing:shakehead

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started carrying Minimags when they first came out and thought them to be a near perfect size. Then I discovered the ARC AAA and can't imagine carrying anything larger. Having something larger - 123X1 or 123X2 - makes sense, provided you "have" it handy and don't need to actually carry it. I expect someday to become a Flashaholic, own a thousand lights, and agonize over which to keep handy, but I'd truly be lost without that AAA either in my pocket or on my keychain. One other minor point is that I seem to have to go through security checkpoints a lot and my ARC AAA never seems to attract attention, but larger lights seem to slow things down.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My preferred form factor is a SureFire with a CombatGrip, particularly the 3 cell models, the Z3, M3, and M3T(that's a complete list of my incans, btw).
What I actually carry on my person at all times are single cell LED lights, like the Arc AAA-P on my keyring, and Fenix P1 or modded Longbow Micra in a pocket.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't yet have a very solid preference. 1 or 2 AA or CR123 or an 18650. I like all of the above. They all fit into my pockets easily enough for carry. Other features and details of the light become much more important to me far before I consider 1aa vs 1 CR123. I do with more 2XAA lights would be made.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I prefer 2-cell lights running on CR123 cells. Single cell lights are too short for me.

Usually it's either my Surefire L4 or E2d.

fishx65

Enlightened
I purchase a ton of 1 and 2 AA lights but always reach for one of my Seoul modded Propolys when I need light. They just seem to feel like a flashlight should feel.