Where's the motorcycle?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might be of interest to some.
db_mc11.jpg

db_mc21.jpg

db_mc31.jpg

db_mc41.jpg

The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Anytime I ever "opened it up" on any of my bikes (maybe 140 tops) I was on a road or race track where I KNEW nobody could pull out.

I guess in that crash it truely didn't hurt.

I see a LOT of fools (mostly very young) on bikes (mostly racey looking) doing STUPID stuff.

Thanks for posting this!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's insane! To bad for the innocent people in the car because of the motorcycle riders inexperience and dumb actions.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a while ago that it was a fabricated piece. Either as a demostration of what an accident can do, or a recreation of something.

drizzle

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
I read a while ago that it was a fabricated piece. Either as a demostration of what an accident can do, or a recreation of something.
I wouldn't be suprised. Just look at the upholstery. If it were real and all 3 bodies were found in the car, I don't think that it would look that clean now.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Quite a striking display. But I too would also agree its fabricated. Not only due to its cleanliness, but I have a hard time picturing that the bike pushed the passenger door all the way through the car and out with the drivers door.

Using the suspension of disbelief, that still is a shocking display of what kind of accident is possible with that kind of recklesness and careless.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it was a fake. The pictures here show what appears to be the actual accident and contains a spreader (the thing in the door that the hydraulic hose leads to) that would normally be used by fire/rescue people.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Even the accident "scene" could have been staged. I tend to think a bike traveling at 155 mph would have punched straight through the car like a rifle bullet since the car is mostly relatively flimsy sheet metal. Not only that, but I don't see how it would be possible to reach 155 mph on a road with intersections without hitting something long before you could reach that kind of speed. Figure it probably takes a few miles from a dead stop to hit 155 mph. The guy would have encountered plenty of intersections/red lights which would have tripped him up well before he hit 155 mph. Fastest I've ever seen any car on a road with intersections was a Corvette doing about 100 mph, and this at night and with little traffic. He damned near ran me off the road while I was cycling. Being that the accident picture is during the day, I doubt even 100 mph would have been possible, let alone 155 mph.

BTW, driving 155 mph on any public road, let alone one with intersections, is asinine. 125 mph is about the highest speed that makes any sense, and that only on very lightly traveled, very straight Interstate highways. For any road with intersections, you should be traveling no faster than will enable to react and stop within your clear sight distance to the intersection. I can't think of any case where that would be possible traveling at 155 mph.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962 said:
Even the accident "scene" could have been staged. I tend to think a bike traveling at 155 mph would have punched straight through the car like a rifle bullet since the car is mostly relatively flimsy sheet metal. Not only that, but I don't see how it would be possible to reach 155 mph on a road with intersections without hitting something long before you could reach that kind of speed. Figure it probably takes a few miles from a dead stop to hit 155 mph. The guy would have encountered plenty of intersections/red lights which would have tripped him up well before he hit 155 mph. Fastest I've ever seen any car on a road with intersections was a Corvette doing about 100 mph, and this at night and with little traffic. He damned near ran me off the road while I was cycling. Being that the accident picture is during the day, I doubt even 100 mph would have been possible, let alone 155 mph.

BTW, driving 155 mph on any public road, let alone one with intersections, is asinine. 125 mph is about the highest speed that makes any sense, and that only on very lightly traveled, very straight Interstate highways. For any road with intersections, you should be traveling no faster than will enable to react and stop within your clear sight distance to the intersection. I can't think of any case where that would be possible traveling at 155 mph.

You've not worked with most modern cars if you think the doors are "mainly" sheet metal. They have side impact bars and the bends of the sheets themselves add to to strength. It takes thousands of pounds of force to tear the door off a hinge or free it from the "nadir pin"

I'm not sure why 183 feet per second makes more sense than 227 feet per second.

I find the crash scene quite believable and also believe 155 could be reached in a relatively short time although this may be somewhat academic. At your 125 mph you are traveling over two miles a minute.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
There are plenty of motorcycles that can hit 130 mph in a quarter mile, so a in a mile it might be possible to hit 155.

But any one who is traveling that fast must be suicidal. How do you expect control your bike at that speed? Especially when everyone else is going third of your speed.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Don't forget, in addition the reinforcing bars in the doors he also hit (and was slowed down by) 2 people. That's a few hundred pounds of mass right there.

As far as acceleration. You're kidding right? These bikes will do 0-60 mph in 2 seconds or under. 155 doesn't take much longer to reach.

jtr1962 said:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I can't tell if it's real or not. I can say my first thought was "Damn! I'll never drive a Volkswagen!!!"

In reality, I once hit a Volkswagen Beatle at 40 MPH on an 1973 Tripumh 750 Bonneville. She pulled a U-turn in front of me and stopped in the middle of the road. When I swerved to go behind her she popped the clutch and backed into my path again. I nailed her right in the middle of the door.

The 73 bonne was light, less than 450 lbs. I was light, only 125 lbs. The bike was doing about 40 at the moment of impact, since I had barely hit the brakes. The door was caved in. The bike forks were twisted at a 45 degre angle. The driver had to get out the other side. I stayed on the bike through the accident, though my thighs and biceps were bruised from holding on. I slid into the tank so hard that he fork crown nut penetrated the steel tank.

I can only imagine what happens at 155 when you hit the door just right.

Daniel

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Mike Painter said:
I'm not sure why 183 feet per second makes more sense than 227 feet per second.
Because of the curvature radius on Interstate highways. At 125 mph you can take most of the curves under most conditions. At 155 mph when the centrifugal force is over 50% greater you can't. Also, there are few tires rated for 155 mph but plenty rated for 130 mph.

Note that I also said 125 mph would be for very lightly traveled highways under ideal conditions. For most Interstate highway driving, I'd say 100 to 110 mph about the limit of reasonable and prudent.

It takes thousands of pounds of force to tear the door off a hinge or free it from the "nadir pin"
I don't know about that. My cousin ran into an open car door on his bicycle at about 45 mph and tore the door right off. Surprisingly, all he got from the crash was a little road rash. He wasn't wearing a helmet, either. I don't know what kind of car he hit. Might have been an econobox.

offroadcmpr said:
There are plenty of motorcycles that can hit 130 mph in a quarter mile, so a in a mile it might be possible to hit 155.

turbodog said:
As far as acceleration. You're kidding right? These bikes will do 0-60 mph in 2 seconds or under. 155 doesn't take much longer to reach.

OK guys. Let's have a couple of physics lessons. First of all, no matter how much power a vehicle has (or more accurately torque which in turn translates into tractive effort), you're ultimately limited by the tire adhesion. On dry pavement with sticky tires figure an adhesion coefficient of 1, which translates to a maximum possible acceleration rate of about 22 mph/sec. That means 0 to 60 mph in 2.7 seconds at best, and probably about 3 under real world conditions. Assuming a constant acceleration rate, you would use up about 132 feet of that quarter mile getting to 60 mph. Assuming that you have enough power to hold the same acceleration rate (20 mph/sec) you'll hit the end of the quarter mile at 190 mph except that you run into two problems. First off, to hold an acceleration rate of 20 mph/sec at 190 mph you would need 922 HP per ton of mass. Let's say the bike plus rider weighs 600 pounds. You would need 277 HP. I don't think I've heard of a street motorcycle with even 200 HP. Second, these figures are only relevant with no drag. As we all know, bikes aren't particularly aerodynamic. Between tire and air drag you're probably already using about 60 HP just overcoming drag at 100 mph. That's 60 less HP you have to accelerate with. Going with these real world examples, and even assuming a ridiculous overpowered (for a motorcycle) 200 HP and 600 pounds, by the time the bike hits 100 mph it can't hold the 20 mph acceleration rate any more. You end up with 0-100 mph in 5 seconds and 367 feet. Taking this further, at 120 mph your acceleration rate drops to about 12 mph/sec and at 140 mph it's down to ~5 mph/sec. At 150 mph you'll be lucky to do 2 mph/sec. Aerodynamics can improve the high-end figures somewhat, but the point remains that sooner or later the acceleration rate dies off, and this happens at the top end when you're moving rapidly, so it takes a long distance to eek out those last 20 or 30 mph. In fact, I suspect that most likely 155 mph is the absolute top end of that bike, and it reaches that speed mostly due to some attempt at streamlining (previous example assumed a brick). Therefore, you probably have only 100 HP, so figure rough acceleration rates as follows: 0 to 60 mph-20 mph/sec, 100 mph-10 mph/sec, 120 mph-5 mph/sec, 140 mph-2 mph/sec, 150 mph-1 mph/sec. This gives you a rough distance of about 3400 feet and about 21 seconds to hit 150 mph, and another ~2200 feet to hit 155 mph. In other words, better than a mile and over 30 seconds elapsed time.

How do you expect control your bike at that speed? Especially when everyone else is going third of your speed.
That's the point. Even if the bike could hit 155 mph in 1/4 of a mile you're bound to run into something long before then on a road with intersections and traffic. That's why I don't find this scenario believable. It seems manufactured by someone with a big axe to grind. What's the point? Don't go 155 on roads with intersections? Even an idiot knows that. Or maybe a message to motorcycle manufacturers to not make bikes which can reach such dangerous speeds so quickly? Perhaps, but why not just come out and say it? Fact is people wouldn't be going dangerous speeds as often if they drove vehicles which simply couldn't reach those speeds as quickly. Physics is why. If your vehicle can only hit 30 mph before the next red light gets you you won't be doing 60 mph playing the red light grand prix. Maybe not as exciting, but I fail to see why the general public should have vehicles available to them which offer near race-track performance without requiring the requisite training and discipline. And don't even get me started on all those dumb car commercials showing people driving like idiots, along with an almost microscopic disclaimer ("This commercial done on a closed course by a professional driver. Follow your local traffic laws") to cover the car company's behind.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Ok, a couple of things. I feel compelled to respond in this case.

I read your post, the whole thing.

1. You're neglecting apparent mass and weight transfer during acceration, among other things.
2. I could go on and on, but it would be simpler to direct you to this video:

http://home.jam.rr.com/turbodoggie/Suzuki_Hayabusa_at_320KmH.wmv

That's 242 miles per hour boys and girls. And on a bike that has 25% LESS horsepower that the one in your best case scenario.

Please note the acceleration rate from about 150 mph to 180 mph. This increase in speed was accomplished in ~3 seconds, with a final top-end of ~242 mph.

jtr1962 said:
Because of the curvature radius on Interstate highways. At 125 mph you can take most of the curves under most conditions. At 155 mph

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Real or fake, it just shows that my self-preservation gene knew what it was about when it kept me from doing some really stupid stuff!

My buudy in Toledo has a fairly new Suzuki Hayabusa, that as of his last email about hadn't been "broke in" long enough to rev freely. He typed "even shifting at 8K rpm, this thing makes my Blackbird (big fast Honda) seem sick!"

There are bikes out there that can hit 155 without breaking a sweat...

It is incredibly stupid to do so without a LOT of thought!

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
That's 242 miles per hour boys and girls.
I was going to post the same video! BTW 320kph is 199mph, but it doesn't look like it actually reached 320 from the tach. Nevertheless, a stock Hayabusa can hit 150mph in the quarter mile, and the world record top speed for a motorcycle is a turbo Hayabusa at 253mph.

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunatly, there would be no need to "stage" such an accident, (though I hate to call it an accident) as there are plenty of boneheads driving these things. As noted by others motorcycles are easily capable of these speeds. I think the police would clean the gore out of the car before putting it on display. In the link Mike provided you can see where the motorcycle (front tire?) ripped through the floor to about the center of the car.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Except, if you note, it hits the peg on the speedo at 320 kph, then the tach climbs 10% more. That is what pushes the max speed to ~242 mph.

:p

bfg9000 said:
I was going to post the same video! BTW 320kph is 199mph, but it doesn't look like it actually reached 320 from the tach. Nevertheless, a stock Hayabusa can hit 150mph in the quarter mile, and the world record top speed for a motorcycle is a turbo Hayabusa at 253mph.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
turbodog said:
http://home.jam.rr.com/turbodoggie/Suzuki_Hayabusa_at_320KmH.wmv

That's 242 miles per hour boys and girls. And on a bike that has 25% LESS horsepower that the one in your best case scenario.

Please note the acceleration rate from about 150 mph to 180 mph. This increase in speed was accomplished in ~3 seconds, with a final top-end of ~242 mph.
Running through the calculations (frontal area=6 ft², Cd=0.5, weight practically irrelevant since most of the drag at the alleged 242 mph is wind drag, not tire drag) I'm figuring that bike needs ~300 HP to top out at 242 mph. Also note that I'm dubious you can even get a Cd of 0.5 on a motorcycle, even with a fairing. More likely top end is in the 180 mph to 200 mph area, and the last 20 or 30 mph would take a while to get there (although 0 to 155 mph could easily be done in 1/4 mile). In any case, it looks like the speedo on that bike is reading a good 20% high, if not more. That's yet another reason I don't trust analog instrumentation.

Now another observation. Whether or not I'm wrong about the physics part of this, fact is we're just splitting hairs. Whether the bike in question can hit 130 or 155 or even 200 in a 1/4 mile, and whether or not this whole thing is staged, is immaterial. Fact is I found that video frightening in that something with that kind of performance has no business on anything but a race track, especially a motorcycle with just about zero protection for its rider. Ditto for the plethora of cars these days with sub-10 second 0 to 60 times. Any engineer involved in their production seriously needs to have their head examined. Given all the accidents this kind of performance causes in the hands of the mostly inexperienced morons who buy these kinds of vehicles I'm just about ready to fire off a nice long letter to my legislators recommending mandatory limits on the power-to-weight ratio of all vehicles sold in the USA to somewhere in the 40 HP per ton area, which is more than adequate for driving on public roads. Note that this recommendation would still allow for 12 to 15 second 0 to 60 times, adequate for everyday driving, and top speeds well above 100 mph with proper aerodynamics, again plenty adequate for everyday driving. Note that this power-to-weight ratio is still 2 to 4 times what buses and trucks which have no trouble keeping up with traffic have. Difference is when you want to go fast, you'll actually have to think about it and hold that pedal down for a long, long time as opposed to being able to reach ridiculous speeds in the stretch of a block or two as is the case now. Inappropriate speed rather than speed itself is what really kills, and ultra-quick acceleration more easily enables inappropriate speed. BTW, for urban travel I find the 10 HP/ton or so that I can manage on a bicycle more than adequate to keep up with traffic but it obviously won't cut it for highway travel. Yeah, I can picture a collective moan about my suggestion, but fact is the idiotic manuevers I'm seeing more and more often simply weren't possible when most vehicles had less power than they do now. Either bring the power-to-weight ratios to something sane, or increase operator training to the point that you weed out the worst 25%, and maybe have different levels of qualification in order to drive more powerful vehicles just as they do with aircraft. Putting that motorcycle in your video in the hands of anyone but an experienced racer is plain nuts. It's downright scary to think any nut with the money can buy one. Maybe that's the real point of this whole accident scene-to get people thinking about this. It's not so much that some rider may have chosen to run 155 mph on a road with intersections, but more the fact that he/she had the equipment easily available which made this possible.