Which EDC is best for me?

m13a8

Newly Enlightened
I think you should go for it the JetBeam. I have limited experience with the other Fenix lights mention, but my JetBeam MKII IBS is really nice. Pocketable, and not TOO expensive. It's impressively bright for a light that size on a 14500 battery, I carry mine in my pocket every day.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
From what I have read and experienced, I would like to add the following:

To me, EDC = Simple user interface that allows access to different lighting levels on the fly, acceptance of primaries and rechargeables, good throw and spill, and durability.

With that said I recommend the Lumapower Incendio.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Are you seriously that blind, I am not trying to be a jerk, but come on.... I have seen you post in threads involving quality issues...recently.

Yes, I have. I've seen a couple posts about a switch that went out, but the VAST majority are just people not using the UI properly and think the quality of the light is to blame when it acts screwy. Reading the directions more than once, a little lube, and a little cleaning go a LONG way to a proper functioning light (true for ANY brand).

No offense, but you've been watching NDI threads for what, a little over ONE month when you registered in late March?? I've read through just about every thread that pops up about them since their introduction in early November. That includes every single post in both announcement threads, which includes all 1874 posts on 63 pages in the MP, and 707 posts on 25 pages in CPF proper. Along with dozens of other threads.

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have. I've seen a couple posts about a switch that went out, but the VAST majority are just people not using the UI properly and think the quality of the light is to blame when it acts screwy. Reading the directions more than once, a little lube, and a little cleaning go a LONG way to a proper functioning light (true for ANY brand).

No offense, but you've been watching NDI threads for what, a little over ONE month when you registered in late March?? I've read through just about every thread that pops up about them since their introduction in early November. That includes every single post in both announcement threads, which includes all 1874 posts on 63 pages in the MP, and 707 posts on 25 pages in CPF proper. Along with dozens of other threads.

I've read that there are some quality issues with some of the NDIs that have gone out (i.e., a bad switch), but I don't think we should assume that they are all facing these issues. Many CPFers have the NDI and as far as I can tell, they are happy with them. For me, the UI is super easy; however, I think that you have to try one to really know if it's going to work for you or not. Some people just prefer a soft-switch to change modes which the Jetbeam uses. Again, I like the C-LEv2, but maybe if you tried an NDI you might like it. There were some NDIs in the BST forum that were going for around $60 or so. Just a thought. Good luck.

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I think you should go for it the JetBeam. I have limited experience with the other Fenix lights mention, but my JetBeam MKII IBS is really nice. Pocketable, and not TOO expensive. It's impressively bright for a light that size on a 14500 battery, I carry mine in my pocket every day.

Thanks for the suggestion and I am going to go with the JET. Hopefully I will love it.

04orgZx6r

Enlightened

True, I haven't been here since the release of the NDI and I realize that not everyone knows how to use their new lights properly, therefore the claims of it acting "screwy". I guess this sudden outburst of NDI quality threads threw me a bit. This is a big purchase for me, as I am still getting into flashlights, and hope to make the right decision the first time.
I think that most people with the NDI are more than happy with their lights, as I am sure I would be. For me I pick the JET, however if they were equal in price I would probably be a tougher choice. That gives me all the more reason to buy the Extreme when it comes out, that way I can try a nitecore for myself.

Marduke

Flashaholic
True, I haven't been here since the release of the NDI and I realize that not everyone knows how to use their new lights properly, therefore the claims of it acting "screwy". I guess this sudden outburst of NDI quality threads threw me a bit. This is a big purchase for me, as I am still getting into flashlights, and hope to make the right decision the first time.
I think that most people with the NDI are more than happy with their lights, as I am sure I would be. For me I pick the JET, however if they were equal in price I would probably be a tougher choice. That gives me all the more reason to buy the Extreme when it comes out, that way I can try a nitecore for myself.

The reason for the sudden "outbust" of NDI threads is due to a much more mundane reason. The initial production run of 500 units was sold quickly and shipped in December. For a number of months the only source of of them was second hand. Just recently there have been renewed production runs of the light, which inevitably leads to another spike of people threads dealing with numerous "issues", both real and imaginary.

Read such threads with a grain of salt. There is a reason an "issue" thread has three VERY common responses within the first few posts. They are not meant to offend, but they simply solve a huge chunk of the "issues"

1) Have you checked you batteries and tried one that's positively fresh?
2) Have you read the instruction manual? Twice?
3) Have you cleaned all contacts and threads with an alcohol swab?

The NDI has the added complication of having a very unique switching mechanism with the head twisting, which throws a lot of people off.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I will be using this everyday, It needs to have great quality, I want to know that it shouldn't fall apart after a few months.
The NDI have not been around long enough to prove it's long term reliability.
A certain older model of Jetbeam has a 40% failure rate and Jetbeam and it's dealers were non responsive to complaints. Jetbeam started a QC program when sales to CPF members fell off but I still read posts complaining they have not got their act together. The I.B.S. is a brand new model of unknown reliability.
The Fenix L1T have been around for a couple of years now and the v2.0 over 9 months. Have not heard any reliability problems other than with the original forward clicky (because Feniix was not sure of the reliability of those switches they also shipped the old reliable reverse clicky in the early batches so owners of dead forward clickys have a replacement switch at hand). Also 4sevens owner of the Fenix store is very quick to fix/replace broken down lights. If you do not need strobe or SOS or low the L1D may not be worth the extra cost for a slight increase in brightness.

I find AA lights a bit big for pocket carry. The only AA light small enough for me is the Civictor V1 but that is dim by todays standards. Being a twistie there is no click switch to worry about.

I carry the Ultrafire 602C from DX as my main EDC (surprise!) with a Fenix L0D CE as backup on my keychain. With rechargeables the battery dies quite abruptly so it is preferable to always carry a backup light.

Last edited:

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
@Marduke Thanks a lot for all of the helpful information. I really shouldn't have been so quick to judge the NDI with "reliability issues" After a lot of though I orderd the Jet because of personal preference, honestly mostly what it came down to was the smooth vs. rough finsh for carrying it in my pocket. And again, Thanks for the help!

i do have one more question though; As long as I don't overcharge(I have a charger with a 4.2v cut off) and take the battery out shortly after %50 usage, will I be ok to use 14500 unprotected batteries in these types of lights?