Which lights get boosted output from li-ion batteries?

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry if this subject has already been discussed, but I couldn't figure out what search string to try.

What I'm hoping to find is a list of lights that normally take AA or AAA batteries, but can accept li-ion batteries and yield significantly (easily noticeable) greater output with the li-ion batteries. I just bought a Fenix LD01 and AW's 10440 batteries, and wow the output is impressive (but I'm aware of the potential hazards), so I'm wondering if I can get something similar in any other formats, hopefully using protected li-ion batteries.

Any help or pointers to other threads are appreciated!

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty sure most NiteCore's have a slight boost in output with slight decrease in runtime.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Fenix and JetBeam lights usually get the biggest boost from Li-Ion cells, though Fenix doesn't design their lights for Li-Ion use, so you end up with all modes becoming max output.

My JetBeam Jet I Mk II IBS is 1xAA; on a single NiMh/alkaline it puts out 130 lumens, on a Li-Ion it blasts out to 225 lumens. It's like two different flashlights.

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far.

StarHalo, actually the Fenix LD01 maintains its 3 different output levels with a li-ion 10440. All three levels are about a step higher than with a regular AAA.

i.e.

10440-low = (approximately) AAA-medium
10440-medium = (approximately) AAA-high
10440-high = (approximately) wow

StarHalo, which li-ion battery do you use with your JetBeam? Is it protected? Does the light get hot on high with the li-ion? What's the run-time like on high with the li-ion? 225 lm from a single-AA-form-factor light sounds nice.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Fenix and JetBeam lights usually get the biggest boost from Li-Ion cells, though Fenix doesn't design their lights for Li-Ion use, so you end up with all modes becoming max output.
A fair statement. JetBeam typically gets one of the biggest boosts, followed by Fenix/Olight (and Olight has the advantage of retaining all relative output levels). LiteFlux also typically gets a decent boost when going to Li-ion.

Nitecores as a general rule are not that much brighter on Li-ion (it is measurable, but may not be noticeable to you).

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1D.

In case no one knows, the L1D head is exactly the same as the L2D head. So by putting a 3+v battery in an L1D, you get L2D output.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
StarHalo, which li-ion battery do you use with your JetBeam? Is it protected? Does the light get hot on high with the li-ion? What's the run-time like on high with the li-ion? 225 lm from a single-AA-form-factor light sounds nice.

I use AW's protected black label, as you'll find at all the reputable online shops.

The Jet I Mk II IBS is essentially a pocket dragstrip light when it comes to running it at maximum on a 14500 - its slender tube design is definitely not made to wick away that much heat, so you can run it for maybe a minute before it gets uncomfortably hot. That's the beauty of the IBS interface though, if you want a more pragmatic high mode, you can just program one in. I'd wager you could run it at ~160 lumens indefinitely, still far brighter than any other 1xAA light.

The plus side is that you get more runtime from a 14500 overall, in fact at its minimum setting, you easily get 2+ days. Plus should your 14500 go dry, you still have all the other AA-sized options laying around your house and available at your local drugstore that will power the light. Alkaline, lithium, NiMH, NiCad, Zinc, whatever will fit in the tube will work.

As long as you're not looking to walk around all night at a ludicrous extreme output level (just in short bursts), the Jet I/14500 combo is a winner all around.