Who makes SureFire 123 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulr

Flashaholic
The subject keeps reviving because people logically want to know if they can get the same performance by buying some other brand of cell, either less expensively or more conveniently (i.e. at the local Wal-Merde instead of through the mail).

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
SF or possibly the new Strategos batteries are costing a few pennies over a dollar. Cheaper batteries are giving decent but not similar performance. Everything else is more expensive.

So can I buy a SF battery with SF performance at SF prices at Wal-Mart? Nope. Fact is that no sells SF batteries cheaper than SF. Can I buy a 123 battery with near SF performance at SF prices at Wal-Mart? Can't do that either.

Cheaper 123 batteries can be found but I don't recall them having the same performance characteristics but all of this is old news and I bet that frequent use of the Search feature would answer these questions.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want two SF batteries from SF, you have to buy a box of 12 for $15.00 and pay another $7.00 shipping minimum, costing you $22.00 and leaving you with ten batteries you didn't want, a heck of a lot more if you need overnight shipping. If you can get your two batteries for $7.99 at Wal-Mart with no waiting, that can be a better deal in many circumstances.

A

Akkuhalle

Re: Who makes SureFire 123 batteries? *DELETED*

Post deleted by B@rt

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've followed the thread simply for the "mystery" surrounding the SF 123 origin. There have been 4 strong suggestions as to their source (not just here, but other threads, too), two of whom I consider very credible because I know them. But, I still can't say with certainty that I know and I'd just like to satisfy my curiosity.

I've seen far more frivolous and annoying "just won't die" threads than this one.

paulr

Flashaholic
The most convincing analysis I've seen so far was some on some other thread where someone compared an SF cell to a Ray-o-vac cell and found they looked the same. However, I'm confident that there's no single permanent answer to this question. Don's probably right that SF doesn't just buy whatever random 123's are available from the lowest bidder, but one of the main points of private labelling is you can change suppliers whenever you want without getting your customers upset that you switched from Duracell to Energizer or whatever.

With its own label, SF can always keep looking for cells that meet its requirements or for manufacturers willing to custom-make cells to SF specifications. Since SF used to ship flashlights with Duracell branded 123's and they appear to be using some other manufacturer's cells now, something like that has already happened. Presumably it can and will happen again if SF finds a better cell or a better deal somewhere.

paulr

Flashaholic
Akkuhalle, thanks, that's pretty interesting, someone really is selling CR123-sized 3.6 volt li ion cells. They will probably burn out the lamp in some Surefires if you use them like 123's! In particular the incandescents and the L4. But the L4 would probably work well on just one of those 3.6 volt cells.

Are you the seller? I sent an ebay message to the seller asking if they can ship to the USA, but if you can sell direct on CPF, that's even better.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
What I find most amusing about this thread is how many of you believe Energizer makes lithium cells. I have a 123 in front of me that says "Made in Japan", "Sold by: Energizer". Note it does not say Manufactured by.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an Energizer CR123 to look at, but I just looked at an Energizer e2 Photo Lithium AA / L91 that definately says made in U.S.A.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Mine says "Made U.S.A. for: Engergizer Holdings, Inc. ..."
Notice it doesn't say made by Energizer in the U.S.A.
Just a tidbit of info....

MDM

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ufokillerz said:
[ QUOTE ]
MDM said:

Duracell makes Costco's Kirkland brand of AA's...

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure? lol and they put their brand right next to duracell at my local costco

[/ QUOTE ]

This is according to the leading consumer products magazine.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just noticed that surefire is gonna shut down Bulldog Enterprices. I suspect something is going on inside the executive offices. Anyways, about this thread...

It seems that Surefire are made in Japan according to Surefire . Also Meridian Tactical is a known dealer of Surefire products. In their battery section, http://store.yahoo.com/meridiantactical/pan3vollitba.html it clearly says Panasonic Battery. Its a known fact that Panasonic is in Japan. Thanks for reading and anyone who disagrees may challenge my prediction.

Size15's

Flashaholic
No, the SF123A is made in the USA by a leading Japanese battery manufacturer [that has a factory in the USA].

And the other link is for Meridian Tactical and not SureFire. It's Meridian Tactical's words not SureFires.

What I don't understand is why does it matter who makes the SF123A for SureFire? The SF123A is made to SureFire's own design specification.

Al

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an interesting turn of phrase, Al. Is Surefire's design specification any different from "standard" 123 cells? I know the marketing portion: designed to produce best light, long lasting, etc. But what if anything makes their specs different? Do you know? Just curious. It doesn't matter to me who makes it. I'd rather know if there is really something different or superior in the specs for it that would make it a better power source for CPF'ers.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I do not understand how batteries work in the detail required to understand how the differences make the SF123A the best battery. I am not an expert in battery technology unlike the man at SureFire who designed their SF123A who is perhaps the World's foremost 123A expert.

I do know that the research SureFire performs on batteries gives them the best understanding of how 123A batteries work in their products and therefore the ability to specify the characteristics of SF123A.

I have talked to the SureFire's battery expert and seen the masses of research data. I've also seen how he performs the light output tests. The level of detail and the understand required goes way over my head.

On the practical side, I have proven to myself in side-by-side runtime tests with a variety of SureFires that the SF123A does produce brighter light for longer.

From a purely selfish aspect, the low cost of SF123As is such that I have no need to consider the next best performing 123A (the DL123A Ultra M3).
I will not risk my safety for the sake of a few pence per 123A by buying cheap brands even if the performance was similar or similar enough.

The SF123A is for me the best value 123A based on performance, safety and price.

I use a lot of SF123As in models such as the M6 and most of the non-regulated models I use have the High Output Lamps in them. I buy SF123As in bulk from the USA and have to factor in charges and shipping.

I would like to say this though.
If you believe you are getting better value from a different brand, that's fine by me.

Al

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off-topic but my local Fry's Electronics is now carrying the SF123A 2-packs (interesting because they do not carry other SureFire products).
Buying in bulk is definitely the way to go but for someone just needing a few they now had a new source.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
My mistake. It was accoring to Meridian Tactical that Panasoic make Surefire batteries. I hope that these batteries stay at low prices, but if they get rid of dealers, they may be hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts