Who's looking forward to HDS Systems upcoming LEDs

dyschan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Who\'s looking forward to HDS Systems upcoming LEDs

Perhaps someone has the answer to my question. Which is brighter - HDS Ultimate or Lionheart? I'm thinking of getting EITHER one of these lights. Thanks

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Who\'s looking forward to HDS Systems upcoming

[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
I may pic up an EDC Ultimate if they are reviewed well after being released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I'm lustful, but am a 'fraidycat when it comes to plunking down cash for an untested product. I'll wait around a year and see how things go.

The second mouse gets the cheese.

best regards

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
I may pic up an EDC Ultimate if they are reviewed well after being released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I'm lustful, but am a 'fraidycat when it comes to plunking down cash for an untested product. I'll wait around a year and see how things go.

The second mouse gets the cheese.

best regards

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually am. but like I said on another HDS thread after researching this, talking to henry, and owning an ARC LSH-P I don't see it being a "lesser" light then an arc at worst and probably better, and considering his roll in ARC, i have no fear.And with just the info on the web site i wonder why it's seem's to be such a gamble in many's minds.I wonder it this was an "ARC" product if it would getting the same suspicion? VDG

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I cant make a choice until I see a product review,
The concept does sound good.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cornkid said:
http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcBasic.html

Look at this. Is it really worth the price?

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
I think a price of $120.00 for the 40 Lumen "Basic" model sounds good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
The Basic looks awesome at only $120. The Arc 4 was $180, had less lumens, and had a ton of menu functions that I never used anyway. For $120, one can have a simpler EDC (than the Arc 4) that is 10 lumens brighter. I'd gladly pay $120 for the Basic.

The Ultimate is a little tougher....$195 places it higher than the Arc 4. However, it also has twice the lumens and a Lux 3 (better heaksinking than a Lux 1). I suppose I can live with the menus options for the extra 20 lumens of output (over the Basic).

The Extreme I have no use for. Paying $40 extra for a bunch of useless options functions and no extra lumens is NOT my idea of a good buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Guys...

One thing that i am unable to understand is... (please forgive my ignorance & I hope it does not sound offencive)... if its a quesiton of 40 Lumens... from a Luxeon I .... @ >$120

Why not go in for a Nuwai QIII (which claims that it's 70 lumens..lol) but actual lumens is supposed to be 35 (just 5 less than 40)... the cost of it is $30 (shipped) @ ebay.... in USA...may be a little extra if i am getting it here in India ....

Ok, Nuwai has lesser Quality, HA2, No Frills, No Regulation... ... but it's got serious output.. comparable to these Hi End lights (if not greater).. its water proof too... isnt it ?....

How can $120 - $200 sound good ? ... if we are paying $90 - $170 more for #ONE ... i would rather get #3 - #4 (@30 Each) Nuwai QIII lights more and give em to family members & let them use as they want.. yet still have some money left... instead of taking ONE @$120 - $200 and use it as if it's a jewell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (it sure will be a jewell in built & quality... no doubt (hopefully))...

Please guide me & try to explain me .... because, i am saving money for HDS's light (since past 2 months @ $30 a month ...lol.. hope by the time i get to 120, HDS will be shipping out lights...(if there are no further 'delays')) ... ... just to see what's in the Hi End light... (i m just curious) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif... yea yea.. curiocity ... can get/hit deeeeeeeep in your pockets... but then.. i m a human too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If Henry (HDS Systems could explain it... ?)

Thanks in Advance,

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

^My reason for shelling out $120 for a HDS Basic is the versatility of multiple settings. One can use a low setting for close range work and/or situations where conserving battery power is needed. One can use one of the two medium settings when a little more light is needed, but one still wants decent runtime. Finally, one can set to high if the maximum light is needed and runtime is not a big concern. All the brightness settings are also regulated--the Nuwai Q03 is not even regulated at all according to the thread in reviews forum.

Its hard to find a light with this much versality (multiple regulated brightness settings) priced under $100.

In order to get multiple constant regulation settings, type III HA finish, and excellent size:brightness ratio one has to pay considerably more than a basic no frills light like a Nuwai Q03. Don't get me wrong, the Nuwai Q03 is a great light with a fantastic beam, but its not as versatile as the HDS's appear to be.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

ViRen: They're getting this for the same reason that people got Arc 4+'s when they were out, or why I carry an Aleph on top of the Q-III; they're versatile lights, durable, and allow better use of battery power for a given task. As 357 notes, the multiple brightness levels makes for a variety of situations where a light like this would come in useful - you may not need full power to read a map or a sign, but you'll need it when shining the thing across the backyard.

The fact that all those settings are regulated means that you can balance the battery life with the illumination levels, and you can avoid running your batteries dry for everyday tasks... which means you'll probably have more opportunities, or at least less qualms, in using the light.

The Q-III's damned bright, but I couldn't use it for reading a book while waiting for a bus, or for checking the status of a tire, or for even poking around the apartment because I knew it'd be kaput in an hour and a half. The Aleph, on the other hand, I can use on one of two levels, which increases its utility a lot. An HDS, with multiple regulated levels, looks to be even better in that respect. The HA type III is a bonus, IMO.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, Multiple brightness (or atleast variable brightness) is something that i miss with Nuwai QIII ... and perfect Regulation is always a Plus Point....

For Me, What I look Forward from HDS ... is...
1) Good Regulation + "Virtual Brightness" Mode (see below) + Moon Mode

2) HAIII + Water Proof construction

3) It should have atleast a TWOH (or better) Luxeon III, Driven at rated 700mA i do not like overdriving, less life of LED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... (LED should last... till i have kids (dont have one yet)... and they grow up to lets say half of my age (30 years / 2 = 15)... then i would probably show them ok son... this is "The High End Light from the past"...Compare the "past" with "present Light"... lets see how much its improved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

4) Brightness level should be single click Max Light ON, Click Hold .... Increase in brightness slowly (similar to Photon Freedom's menu style)... Same for Decreasing brightness... may be 2 "memory/ programmable levels of brightness"... but thats it... no other frills.. like strobe/flash/sos (i wonder if any one uses em)...

"Virtual Brightness" Mode : We know that when the battery does not have enough juice left, you cannot get more out of it... However, to my thinking, i think we can get a little more... "Virtually" ... By Virtual Brightness i mean a Pulsed Output (of any frequency above 100 Hz) in the ending stages of battery ... this pulsed mode can start when the battery cannot supply that much steady brightness power... but it is capable to supply lets say pulsed power from 1 kHz (for same brightness(eyes wont detect this)) .... when it is not able to supply that much .... decrease in frequency of pulse(but increase in pulse intencity(so as to maintain the "Virtual" brightness level)) ... gradually... untill it reaches 100 Hz... below this frequency... eyes are able to detect flicker (at least my eyes are very sensitive to ( / detect) flickering below 90 hz...(one of the reason... why i keep my monitor to 120 Hz refresh setting)) so... keeping a gap of atleast 10 Hz (to keep me comfortable)... however, we can go well down to 60 Hz....

In short.. it shoud be a Part PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)...part PFM (Pulse Frequency Modulation) and a part PIM (Pulse Intencity Modulation)...

As battery gets down, PW Decreases, PF Decreases, PI Increases so as to maintain "Virtual Brightness"

For Virtual Brightness(VB) :: PI we will need a database of various human eye preceptions & PI::pW::pF ....i think it will be probably some kind of "logarathmic" Graph / equation presumably ....as human eye sensitivity to light is lograthmic ... atleast for constant light dimming as compared to PWM Dimmed

The VB curve will be determined as a Function of PI, PW, PF Collectively

(Please note that... I am not very good at written english and am unable to convey my message properly) yet still, i hope you got the idea what i am trying to say....

5) Aah... Most important... The Cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ..... well i imagine it should have a $70 but ... hmm... i understand...

{Dream Mode ON}

**** Imagine a Nuwai QIII being sold @ $7.95 ... (maintaining the present quality & standards) ... I am sure... it will throw 2AA Mini M-G Lights.. in to History Books ****

**** Imagine a EDC Basic (from HDS Systems) sold @ $39.95 .... I am sure.... Our Flashlight History book will get much more thicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ****

{Dream Mode OFF}

Oh.. sorry... i was napping for a while.... to tell u a secret... i had a very very nice dream /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif....

ViReN

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Overdriven?
Don't know about others, but to me, a LuxeonIII is just an overdriven Luxeon that can handle better heat and perhaps more efficient at higher wattage.

Luxeon 1 watt
30% reduction of output after 100,000 hours
70% lumens maintainance after 100,000 hours?

Luxeon III
70% lumens maintainance after 50,000 hours
50% lumens maintainance after 20,000 hours

But every *thing* in this world will eventually get old and be replaced so what's the use of not being fully utilised. Luxeons are made to be BRIGHT so let it be BRIGHT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

hi,

Any Guestimates of Luxeon III's Lumen Output as against Drive Current ?

Luxeon III can be safely driven in between 700 mA and 1 Amp.... (i think, this range will give enough light, may be 60 - 70 Lumens (if we refer to Datasheets)....

[ QUOTE ]

Luxeon III
70% lumens maintainance after 50,000 hours
50% lumens maintainance after 20,000 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

70% ... 50,000 Hrs
50% ... 20,000 Hrs ... ummmm.. its a typo right ?

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I for one will be happy when it comes out then we can see some real results instead of all this speculation.

GregR

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
70% ... 50,000 Hrs
50% ... 20,000 Hrs ... ummmm.. its a typo right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a typo, sorry didn't fact it properly.

700ma - 70% maintanance lumens after 50,000 hrs(overdriven?)
1000ma - 50% maintanance lumens after 20,000 hrs(overdriven?)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now i See... ... kool...

so... it means... that (atleast to me) that we are actually overdriving already (in case of Luxeon III)

-ViReN