Why are we doing this

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Science, art, lore, religion, and hobbies all happily unite for me through some ancient concepts of logos.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
If one asserts something what will help others believe it is some reference to their work rather than accusations or speculations about their motivation.

Folks can be sincere in their beliefs and sincerely mistaken.

An old ploy is to assert one thing most people would also not like and attack it while avoiding the original position.

My original post had no dark alterior motive nor the statement quoted to assert anyone's or any institution's power play. What is between the lines is exactly what you see. If anyone has an axe to rind, my experience is resentments are like hoping someone else dies and drinking the posion yourself.

My oridinal post most folks got and I appreciate their sharring. Modding is a hobby I enjoy and is fun for the sake of fun.

Enjoy Jim

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The way to solve the conflict between human values and technological needs is not to run away from technology. That's impossible. The way to resolve the conflict is to break down the barriers of dualistic thought that prevent a real understanding of what technology is -- not an exploitation of nature, but a fusion of nature and the human spirit into a new kind of creation that transcends both."

(From Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values)

IMHO, I think we could live without the Unabomber quotes. Any points made by the Unabomber against technology and the left, have surely been made by non terrorists. Why not quote one of them?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
jimjones3630 said:
If one asserts something what will help others believe it is some reference to their work rather than accusations or speculations about their motivation.

Folks can be sincere in their beliefs and sincerely mistaken.

An old ploy is to assert one thing most people would also not like and attack it while avoiding the original position.

My original post had no dark alterior motive nor the statement quoted to assert anyone's or any institution's power play. What is between the lines is exactly what you see. If anyone has an axe to rind, my experience is resentments are like hoping someone else dies and drinking the posion yourself.

My oridinal post most folks got and I appreciate their sharring. Modding is a hobby I enjoy and is fun for the sake of fun.

Enjoy Jim

Sorry, most of that made no sense to me...but please make up your mind...either have fun or don't have fun....you flip flop worse than John Kerry in the last election.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The way to resolve the conflict is to break down the barriers of dualistic thought that prevent a real understanding..."

Art I like that idea, the process of working togeter toward to goal. Instead of justing trying to be "right." Which in doing so the other person is "wrong."

When someone feels threatened, they lash back. In a discussion can take the form of
accusations or speculations about the other person's motives. They can't stay on message.

In politics mud slinging most people recognize for what it is and turns people off same as heckling.

Both heckling and mud slingling, character assignation, are really good signs in a debate for it shows a lack of substance from the other guy, an inability to present one's position on it's own merits. And it only appeals to those of like dispostion. Within the same political party many are turned off against their candidate because of it.

Enjoy Jim

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one simply enjoy reading about the accomplishments of my CPF Brethren. How anybody can take "modder fodder" and turn it into a thing of beauty is beyond my patience.

Why do you do it? Who cares? That you do it, now thats just plain cool!!!

So the question I pose to you, "If a Surefire dies in the woods and nobody sees it, is it still under warranty?!"

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
kelmo said:
So the question I pose to you, "If a Surefire dies in the woods and nobody sees it, is it still under warranty?!"

Yes it is, but you'll still have to buy a duplicate replacement model in the meantime. Then, in five or six short months (if you call them once per month) you'll get your repaired light back. :)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philosophical questions and how they might relate to flashlights or how flashlights relate to philosophy are interesting subjects to consider. Philosophical discussions are often logical arguments. Sometimes argumentative fallacies enter the discussion.

Since my meager attempt to conjure a brain video of four steaming Sasquatch, wookies or skunk apes with raging orange eyes morphing into four timid deer by the use of a powerful flashlight has gone by unappreciated, I would like to make another meager attempt to contribute to this thread.

A New York boy is being led through the swamps of Louisiana by his cousin. "Is it true that an alligator won't attack you if you carry a flashlight?" asks the city boy.

His cousin replies, "Depends on how fast you carry the flashlight"

post hoc ergo propter hoc

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ice,

Osram 64625 can be direct drived with 11 cells. I use 2/3a'a 1500Mah Elites.

I have always like the physical sciences. Can become frustrating when trying to get something out of it not of it's nature.

Pax

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc.

Icebreak said:
I like my useful and purposeful incan mods just fine. It was fun figuring some of them out. I don't have any of the super duper incans. I do have an 1166 set up that I'd like to try one of the Osram lamps in. (can't remember which one. it takes 11 cells.) Even if it only ran for five minutes it would be a pleasant distraction. Of course, it would be nice to reveal that those eight orange dots on the other side of the pond were four deer instead of the four 1200 lb saber toothed wild boar or the four 9' tall Big Foots I imagined.

Some applied science and technology is soothing to the mind. The jingle for Entertainment Tonight promotes an uncomfortable dullness to the mind followed by a rapid scramble for the remote.

Da da da da da daaaah *shudder*.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I just ordered a few from that sweety-pie Angie at Replacementlightbulbs. Now I'll finally be in the 100W club and can see about those pesky Bigfoots always staring at me from behind the trees.