• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Why No Logo Serial Numbers, Or Identifying Marks?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a question out of curiosity: Why doesn't Don use some type of marque/logo, serial number, product identifier, etc. on his lights?

I saw a few earlier "'skunk works" lights that had a skunk tail logo and serial numbers. Yes, his designs are unique (at least for now...) and the quality is second to none, but why no way to visually identify the manufacturer, the model, or even a serial number?

Just another in a seemingly endless stream of naive thoughts...

:popcorn:

Hey Chronos! :wave:

I prefer no serial numbers and logos... I think they'd take away from the "minimal" look of Don's lights. Less is more, if you ask me!

Not to mention - and no offense to people who serialize their lights - I don't understand the need put serials on them and make them more "exclusive", unless they're being kept as collectors items.

But, that's just me, and I'm weird! :thumbsup: :shrug:

:) john

Hey John!

No disagreements here! I just wondered if there was a concrete reason such as the "minimalist" look.

Typing that makes me think I should be dragging on a Gitanes, dressed in black, with a severe hairstyle and a bad attitude ;)

I had the same idea some time ago, Chronos, but I think the lights are work horses that does need to get to work, not to be labeled with a serial and put on a shelf :)

But just a nice logo or model would make it something easier to identify them :D

Chronos said:
Typing that makes me think I should be dragging on a Gitanes, dressed in black, with a severe hairstyle and a bad attitude ;)
:laughing: I actually had to look up what Gitanes were! And I don't wear black, and my hair is slowly but steadily disappearing! So much for artsy!

Additional expense, additional time and an additional vendor to provide intentional tool marks which don't effect the function of the light one single bit! :nana:

These lights already have subtle and not so subtle marks of distinction as it is! Some marks (lint and finger prints) are not indellible but others certainly are! :p

The shop that is doing the Ti for me does have a laser now but I have reservations.

Any graphics or designations on the lights might imply or impart some level of legitimacy to the light they don't support. :shrug: Although a significant portion of my time and resources; financial and others, I still consider these lights and my activities at a hobbiest level and not professional or of a real business nature.

Also ... who would want to read "McLuxIII-Ti-S27-PD" on his light? :p

Seriously though ... IMHO it is just not worth it.

bernie

no to logos or no,s it adds mystery to have it bare anyone of us could identify Dons lights without a logo plus the cost involved is it really worth it. NIMO.

It would be kinda funny to etch a logo or "McGizmo was here" or something like that onto the window so when ever one of Don's lights is on, you'd get a sort of subtle "call-for-batman effect."
Of course then you'd get all kinds of complaints about the beam. Still I think users could be trained to get used to it..............certainly couldn't be any worse than donut holes and green tints, etc on some lights............(Insert smiley face thing)

Last edited:
I would not mind some sort of label or serial number, but I do like them small and minimal, so having them not is OK just the same.

I tend to agree with all Don's works. Greatly.

I appreciate the replies! Don, for what it is worth, you have quite a loyal following. If the lights were not worthy, I believe this following would only last so long and not continue to grow in number. You've garnered many respectful clients.

I'm sure many would agree that your lights are worthy. I've commissioned works of art from others, most recently two landscape photographs, and have asked the artists to be certain to sign their works. A few have asked why. I tell them it is a sign of honor, a statement that one is proud of one's work. I don't see it as a way to create "buzz" or try to create an artificial market- maybe I'm naive here.

Perhaps you feel you are providing us tools, as AlecGold and others have mentioned. I believe these are examples of fine craftsmanship, and whether I am purchasing a custom-made Morris chair (hopefully a future furniture purchase) or a McGizmo light, I appreciate the craftsmanship, skill, and love the creator invests.

No, a logo, serial number, etc. are not necessary. The work speaks for itself IMHO. I was interested in the "why not."

Don, modest as always.

Don't sell yourself short, McGizmo

McGizmo said:
Any graphics or designations on the lights might imply or impart some level of legitimacy to the light they don't support. :shrug: Although a significant portion of my time and resources; financial and others, I still consider these lights and my activities at a hobbiest level and not professional or of a real business nature.

Don't sell yourself short. If you sell the products you make, you're a businessman and a professional. If people are clawing/drooling over your products it definitely is NOT a hobby. Some would consider it (functional)art.

A lot of people neglect to put dates or marks on things and regret it later when trying to identify one of a thousand pieces that are similar. Like photos with no date on them. Now you have to think and look at details just to figure out when it was made.

There are so many options, which would require too many marks. I like simple- model number or style.

The surfer dude is my favorite. Of course, it's the hand drawn look that makes it for me. I doubt a stylized stamp or laser engraving would have the same impact. I just like the connection of having been worked by the tool maker. His electric pencil inscriptions that ended up on some of the PR head cans are cool. Oooh aahhh touched by Don. Kind of creepy, but it's hard not to have the thought enter one's noggin.

Here's a picture of a custom that Frenchy sold two years ago. Has both the Mc and Surfer hand etched in the clip. Highly desirable. Doubt it makes sense to do these as part of work tools. But as art, they do bring that special connection between the creator/collector.

And oh man! just think of the value if he gets spanked by a whale or chomped by a shark! ;)

donlogo.jpg

Last edited:
Kiessling said:
Also ... who would want to read "McLuxIII-Ti-S27-PD" on his light? :p

Seriously though ... IMHO it is just not worth it.

bernie

I thought surefire's method labeling lights with patent numbers looked pretty cool...but thats just me:whistle:

Turd,

Nice write up and I have to agree, how cool is it to have a light as personalized by Don as the above.

I doubt he will do this again, sadly.