Wife got mad last night

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
<RANT ON>
OK enough of this overreaction to anything the least bit "dangerous!" They are flashlights, NOT powerful lasers.
From the link below......
"LEDs are very bright. DO NOT look directly into the LED light!! The light can be intense enough to injure human eyes."

http://www.theledlight.com/technical1.html

Notice the diagram? A typical 5mm LED.

If we're going to become that concerned then you'd better make sure you send your kids out to play in welding masks because there's often on hell of a bright ball of light right up in the sky at noon that CAN damage your eyes.

</RANT OFF>
Humans have a protective reflex but it doesn't work in all situations. Furthermore one of the first things any child is taught is not to stare directly into the sun.

I by no means shelter my offspring, many is the time I said walk it off, rub some dirt on it, man up and quit your whining, but the op's 3 year old infant/toddler should be guarded from any and all things that may cause injury. That IMHO is responsible parenting.

In most states to knowingly let an infant/toddler have access to anything that can cause injury may be considered criminal negligence, and/or negligence at a minimum.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the first things my kids learned when they snagged a flashlight was "not at anyone's eyes, including your own" and I'd take it away if they did. I'm sure your 3 yr old will have no trouble with this after some brief training. Then you're good to go until they shine it into your wife's eyes a few months down the road. Then you start all over again, but it's like that with everything isn't it?

My kids know that one rule very well and they love to play with the lights. 3 boys too. 9, 7, 5 yrs old now. Even the middle-guy, Mr. Danger, knows not to shine the lights in people's eyes.

I bought my wife an E2e. That helped some too. She liked having her own light even though it's not very bright. I think at some point I got her to recognize that she liked having the lights around. Having another son helped too. She chalked it up as a guy thing and by the time the 3rd little guy reached for the lights there was no resistance. Maybe she was just too tired by then to resist too. Hehe.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the link below......
"LEDs are very bright. DO NOT look directly into the LED light!! The light can be intense enough to injure human eyes."

http://www.theledlight.com/technical1.html

Notice the diagram? A typical 5mm LED.

They just put it there to cover their ***. We've all looked into cree/ssc lights (come on, admit it), and no damage from that.

I've also had eye exams where the optometrist shined a light way brighter than 5mm led (pupil is even dialated), and I was seeing spots for nearly ten minutes afterwards, no damage that I can tell.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite warning sign was on an iron. It said something like, "Do not iron while wearing shirt"

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the first things my kids learned when they snagged a flashlight was "not at anyone's eyes, including your own" and I'd take it away if they did. I'm sure your 3 yr old will have no trouble with this after some brief training.

i am still a "kid" in most respects, and i remember this lesson very clearly when my parents taught it to me. Sure the best lights around had massive D or C cells back then, but, i still learnt it well, and never shine lights into anyones eyes. no offense to anyone, but i cant think of a more moronic thing to do then to purposely look into a light and turn it on. Accidentily connecting the wires to the bare LED and getting flashed is one thing, looking into a reflector designed to re-direct all the light forward, on PURPOSE, is just silly, and down right dangerous.

back to the OP, i would leave one light on the night stand for use at night, but keep the rest away,maybe install a shelf to display them all nicely on. you dont want your kid playing with an ROP for more reasons then just the super high output.

I wanted to give fauxtons to all my nieces, and nephews, and cousins, but it astounds me how many of them tried STARING into the damn thing....needless to say i took them all back.

Crenshaw

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep. put them in a drawer or hide them. easier that way. put the seat down, too.

Better to teach them the risks at an early age, that way it sticks with 'em better. It might not be easier, but in my opinion it's better. One question to prove it: What is the one thing a kid wants most? You guessed it! It's the one thing they aren't allowed to have. By not teaching them, they are encouraged to find out for themselves.

Also, if guys can figure out how to lift a seat:confused:, it would stand to reason that gals can figure out how to put it back down.:eek:

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify a few things:

The lights in questions were in a closed drawer in my nightstand that had not previously been accessed by the kids (to my knowledge).

My three-year-old's eyes were not exposed to the bright light. It was my wife, and she actually is brilliant. I think she just wanted to test to see how bad it would have been if one of the kids had tried it.

All three kids have been taught not to look directly at any bright light, whether it be the sun or a flashlight. They have a couple low power kid's lights that they are allowed to play with and if we catch them shining into anyone's eyes, we take the lights away.

The lights are locked up higher now, where the kids can't reach them.

Thanks for everyone's concern!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rot is setting in .................leave her now!

Only joking,
buy the kids a torch of their own so they won't mess with yours,
then buy her an silver Orb raw for her,
Problem solved...............

prof

Enlightened
Better to teach them the risks at an early age, that way it sticks with 'em better. It might not be easier, but in my opinion it's better. One question to prove it: What is the one thing a kid wants most? You guessed it! It's the one thing they aren't allowed to have. By not teaching them, they are encouraged to find out for themselves.

Also, if guys can figure out how to lift a seat:confused:, it would stand to reason that gals can figure out how to put it back down.:eek:

So you're single then?

Teaching is best, but are we talking about teaching the kids or the wife? Are they willing to learn?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Tell her you'll compromise with a nice plexi-glass display case on top of the nightstand. I'm sure she'd love that! :whistle:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toilet seat is the many pet peeves for men and women. Men get annoyed that they have to lift it up, women get annoyed that they have to put it down. I say we compromise and keep it down for the ladies ... we'll just use the sink :whistle:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toilet seat is the many pet peeves for men and women. Men get annoyed that they have to lift it up, women get annoyed that they have to put it down. I say we compromise and keep it down for the ladies ... we'll just use the sink :whistle:

that sink is for brushing you teeth...that other one..well, you dont wanna know.

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly think the wife would rather deal with putting the toilet seat down.

When I build my own house, one thing I will do is a real urinal in the bathroom for the master bedroom.