Wolf Eyes M90 12V Rechargeable

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never mind... After further reading of this thread and looking at the PTS Website I would be able to use my 17500 unprotected/protected cells therefore using my ICE to charge them up...

Dave

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I ordered the 13 volt kit today. With the CPF sweet price you get the extender and the new 13 volt lamp assembly for $21 and change. You can also order it with charger and three rechareable Wolf Eyes 150 cells.
jc

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Ok, the new 13V bulb and extender have been added to our website. I will add some pictures next week when i get the chance. Here is the link: http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/productList.aspx?uid=1-20-40
I'm working a gun show in Monroe, WA this weekend. Anyone that stops by our table and mentions this thread will get an additional 5% off the allready great CPF price.

Have a great weekend!!!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my order in this morning. Thanks again, Mike!

BTW I sent you an email about the shipping address.

:rock:

vortechs

Enlightened
vortechs said:
Would the 1/2 cell extender work with any of the Wolf Eyes bodies? For instance, would two extenders on a Eagle E-3A 3-cell body allow it to use two 18650 rechargeable cells, like a E-4A?

I guess a related question would be, are the various Wolf Eyes bodies and heads compatable with each other? For instance, could someone get a E-3AX Eagle (3x 123 cell) and a M90 Rattlesnake (2x 18650 cell) then switch the heads depending on which light they wanted to be shorter on any given day?

From the messages, it sounds like the tailcaps for the larger Wolf Eyes lights are interchangeable so the battery extension may work on several different bodies, but it would be nice to have a list of which bodies the extender will fit on and which it won't.

Does anybody have an Eagle series (focusing head E2, E3, or E4) and a M90 Rattlesnake to check if the heads can be swapped or if the design/threading prevents this?

vortechs

Enlightened
jclarksnakes said:
....For those people asking about using the extender on other Wolf Eyes lights I think the answer is probably yes so long as they can use the same tailcaps. The tailcaps are the same on my Raiders and my Rattlesnake. The Tailcap for my 2 cell Sniper is shorter and fatter and so does not interchange. This all does raise some interesting questions about using two extenders to make one of the three cell lights into a 4 cell light.
jc

Here is another question on the tailcaps. I believe the LED tailcaps come in 9V and 12V versions. I assume the difference is how large of a resistor is used, but would somebody please let me know if the LED tailcap appears to have any regulation electronics.

I assume the two Li-Ion rechargeable Wolf-Eyes lights would use the 9V LED tailcap. Does anybody know if the reduced voltage (7.2V vs 9V) significantly affects the brightness of the LED's.

I assume the new "13V" M90 package would use the 12V LED tailcap but I would be interested to hear if could it work with the 9V one or if there are problems with using the 12V LED tailcap with the "13V" upgrade.

Thanks.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Chronos can you give us an idea of the output of this new lamp? Do you have a 9 volt D36 to compare it with or something similiar?

I am trying to talk myself into not ordering this lamp as I have nothing it will fit inside. As the site says it is a 13 volt D36 I assume it should fit my Raider Bezel that uses the 9 Volt D36 however others say it will not. Regardless I would attempt to find a way to power it however would most likely end up buying the entire light. It seems you are the first to actually have one and I am curious if it is as white and bright as their other lamps.....have you had a chance to try it yet?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop,

I don't have it yet. I need to order the cells too- I'll try to do that today. The only bulb I'll be able to compare to once all the pieces arrive will be the standard 12v bulb in the M90X.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a question earlier about the LED tailcap. Will the extra 1v overdrive the LED tailcap? Should I only use the stnadard clickie tailcap?

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Originally posted by vortechs
I assume the new "13V" M90 package would use the 12V LED tailcap but I would be interested to hear if could it work with the 9V one or if there are problems with using the 12V LED tailcap with the "13V" upgrade.
All tail caps that work with the M90X will work with the M90-13V. I like to use the 9A button tail cap with my personal M90-13V because it's a little smaller but I do not recommend using the 9T tail cap (9V LED)

vortechs

Enlightened
Mike@PTS said:
All tail caps that work with the M90X will work with the M90-13V. I like to use the 9A button tail cap with my personal M90-13V because it's a little smaller but I do not recommend using the 9T tail cap (9V LED)

Thanks Mike.

It is good to know that the 9A-TC button tailcap and 9H-TC pressure switch tailcap from the Raider will also work on the M90 body, in addition to the M90A-TC button tailcap and M90T-TC 4-LED tailcaps that are specifically for the M90.

Thanks for the tip about the 9A-TC button tailcap being somewhat smaller than the M90A-TC.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the bulb and extender in the mail yesterday- thanks again for the exceptional service Mike! The extender is nicely finished and I look forward to using it. I'm off to Eastern Europe for the week next week but I'm going to try to purchase some 18500s and a charger so I have it to play with when I get home.

Mike, any noticeable increase in real-world brightness and how is the battery life with the rechargeables?

Glad I can still use the LED tailcap. Also keep me posted on the 13v M100 bulb if/when it comes to fruition.

Thanks!:rock:

Ronin22

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. This is my first post at CPF after reading the fantastic and endless amounts of information on here. Quite a site. Anyway, I'd like to bring this topic back up to the top. For those of you who have the M90 with the new 13V and extended battery could you tell us what types of run times your getting and how much it improved the beam over stock? Beamshots? Thanks for any info.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I got my 13volt lamp and extender from PTS last week. There was a problem with the extender and I emailed Mike and he replaced it quick. I think the female threads on the extender were not cut cleanly full length and so it did not screw fully on and there was poor continuity between the extender and the Rattlesnake body. The replacement works great. I am runnning it with three of AW's unprotected 18500 cells. It is a little brighter than it had been with the 12 volt lamp and four primary cells. The beam is like the 12 volt beam with a good balance of central hotspot for throw and usefull spill. The bulb is slightly longer than the 12 volt which BTW has a longer bulb than the 9 volt lamps and so the bulb is not perfectly centered and there is an artifact in the beam but it is not noticebale outdoors. It does show up doing a whitewall test though. It is still a very cllean beam but not perfectly clean like the beams from both my D26 and D36 9 volt Wolf Eye Raiders. This modification makes for a very inexpensive to use BRIGHT light. The only thing better than free lumens is lots of free lumens. I have not done a runtime yet.
jc

Last edited:

Ronin22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the write up JC. I have a M90 13V on order so when it comes in hopefully I can get some beamshots up.

Does anyone know how I can test the lumens? Sorry, I'm not well versed in this area but would like to see if it puts out 300+ lumens as advertised.

Thanks

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
Ronin,
...Based upon total output number comparisons in the flashlight reviews (flahlightreviews.com, look at total output for Surefire M3 and Wolf Rattlesnake) I think best bet is actually around 265 lumens for the 12 volt. With the 13 volt it is a lttle brighter but I would hesitate to say whether it is 5 lumens brighter or 25 lumens brighter.
jc

vortechs

Enlightened
Ronin22 said:
Thanks for the write up JC. I have a M90 13V on order so when it comes in hopefully I can get some beamshots up.

Does anyone know how I can test the lumens? Sorry, I'm not well versed in this area but would like to see if it puts out 300+ lumens as advertised.

Thanks

Testing the total lumen output of a light is actually rather difficult. I believe it requires special equipment (an integrating sphere). So unfortunately we probably won't see a scientific test of the output anytime soon. There are some simpler setups you can make with a light meter and a box but I haven't done it myself so you'll have to search around on CPF to find out more about them.

Although the M90's 12V D36 bulb is advertised to put out 300 lumens, the flashlight itself doesn't put that many lumens out the front due to losses in the reflector and lens. This is the difference between bulb lumens and torch lumens. Wolf Eyes is rating their new bulbs according to bulb lumens (I believe their older bulbs were rated according to torch lumens).

Hope this helps.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick update: I got the W/E up and running last night with the extender, 13v bulb, and rechargeables. WOW! I love that ram of light effect. It is certainly bright, it seems to be at least as bright as the 12v M90X head on primaries. I used to wonder if a light can be too bright... I know this is no ROP or M11 but the amount of light is almost insane. I could illuminate my entire backyard in near-daylight, and I think the light is far too bright to casually walk with down the sidewalk or trail. Unless the beam is directed well out in front of me, the hotspot is almost too hot to look at for any amount of time.

I'm heading to the beach house tonight so I'll bring along the Gladius, the M90X with all accessories (12v, 13v, extender, primaries, M100X head), the M-11, and maybe the Mag LUXIII and try to get some beamshots from my back deck. I want to try the 12v bulb in the rechargeable format (Mike said in an email he hasn't seen or heard of any hot flashing yet).

I can't wait to see the flashlightreviews.com review of the M90X rechargeable setup too.

Thanks again Mike for the wonderful service! You truly rock. Can I order the G&P Scorpion 500 from you? Please??? ;)

Last edited: