Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in California, land of the unprepared, in fire and earthquake country, made worse by anal laws on energy efficiency. If someone asks me why I carry a flashlight, here's my response: "Have you ever used the bathroom and had the motion sensor in the room shut the lights off before you were done? That's why I carry a flashlight. I don't like to get caught with my pants down."

lunas

Enlightened
I carry 4-6 between me and my car and laptop bag.
1 fenix e05 2015 model on my keys
1 thorfire tg06 in my pants
a minimag 1 aaa led in my other pocket as a loaner...
and a long baton light in the door pocket in my car with lithium primaries in it
in my laptop bag i have a 2x AA maglight again loner
and a solarforce l2p with a xml2 led 1 mode

And i carry because i dont like to use my phone as one i find that it does a sub standard job and i would rather have enough light when i need it than too little.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Cant remember whether I actually posted what I carry, but I generally carry these five, on-person.

Left to Right:

1. Fenix E15 2016 Edition
  2. Zebralight SC600w Mk III (4500K)
  3. Zebralight SC600w Mk II L2 (4500K)
  4. Eagletac DX30LC2 (XP-L Hi)
  5. Solarforce L2P with Sportac Triple Nichia 219B (2-mode)

When I can only carry one light, on-person, it's the SC600w Mk III, hands-down (and the others go in my pack, with additional lights). It's such a flexible light. The one and only thing that would make that one a perfect EDC light would be a momentary switch/tailcap.

I'm very picky about light (beam patterns, tint options, user interface), so carrying multiple lights usually covers most of my bases, on any given day. When I'm going to do a job, or whatever, where I need more light options, I'll pick out the additional ones that I feel will best suit the job, and put them in a separate bag, along with chargers, and spare batteries.

I like having options :D

Last edited:

BloodLust

Enlightened
I've posted in this thread before. It's still pretty much the same but now, work requires me to travel constantly even through different countries often. Plus I now have my own family and light for everyone is comforting.

Besides my usual Fenix LD10, I replaces my backup photon with a Jetbeam/Nite-Eye Mini-1.
I got my wife a smaller light. A Fenix LD02.
There's a Nite Ize Mini 3-in-1 in my daughter's diaper bag.

There are numerous occassions I've used my EDC lights.
I was in a 3rd level basement carpark when a citywide blackout occured. I only had a Maglight Solitaire that time since LEDs weren't mainstream yet and cellphones didn't have cameras nor flashlights at that time yet. The little green or amber cellphone backlights thene were comparable only to wristwatch lights. They were bright enough just to light the numbers on the screen.
This was the event that made me look into more powerful lights than the Maglites which were the standard then.
I soon after got my 1st tactical light which was a Surefire. Everything was incandescent back then.

One event I recall, I was staying in a small hotel during my first time in Bangkok with some colleagues in an inner conference room and a transformer blew and shut down power for several blocks. I whipped out my LD10 and we were actually able to finish the meeting with the light on ceiling bounce.

I had to be in Japan for work just a couple of weeks after the earthquake and tsunami. Aftershocks were still felt and we were hit with one that registered a 7.4. I was on the top floor of the hotel and lights were flickering. I needed a steady light if I were to eveacuate especially via the stairs.

david57strat

Enlightened
I carry 4-6 between me and my car and laptop bag.
1 fenix e05 2015 model on my keys
1 thorfire tg06 in my pants
a minimag 1 aaa led in my other pocket as a loaner...
and a long baton light in the door pocket in my car with lithium primaries in it
in my laptop bag i have a 2x AA maglight again loner
and a solarforce l2p with a xml2 led 1 mode

And i carry because i dont like to use my phone as one i find that it does a sub standard job and i would rather have enough light when i need it than too little.

I'm with you, in that a cell phone light is a low quality, short distance, short-lasting light, with poor quality tint - at best. Why settle? We're flashaholics. We can have whatever we want, at our disposal, and just need to choose the right tool for the job. What works fine for lighting up a key hole, may be no good for lighting up a stadium. Why use a screwdriver as a pry bar - or a socket wrench, as a hammer, when the right tool is at our disposal?

The right tool for the job - always!

Last edited:

scottb7862

Newly Enlightened
I've always carried a pocketknife...usually a Case XX... Just recently I discovered these EDC lights(I have a Olight S1 Ti baton)..I've found hundred's of uses for my light, we live in an older high ceiling house, really not enough lighting, so it really comes in handy through out the day, checking PSI's on tires recently, working on the computer..for just an example..and it's bad a$$!!

tops2

Enlightened
Carrying one (or two) keychain light for real emergency. Honestly, I carry an additional larger, more powerful light just for fun. Realistically, I've hardly really needed to have a light on my for emergency. But it just so handy to have a more powerful light and I keep finding excuses to use them. :D

I forget which site, but I think one site mentioned for the iOS10 beta, we may be able to pick between 3 flashlight intensities! lol! I'm actually impatiently waiting for it to drop to play with it.

Last edited:

panosx

Newly Enlightened
i always have a keychain flash light with me and a olight to my work bag

in my country (Greece) pocketknife is iligal (not exacly but in general )

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I used to do hvac repair, but my shoulders are messed up so I cant quite do the job, but always used good lights. whenever a dopey technician shows up at my apartment for a repair, they always use phone flashlight, I just shake my head at their stupidity. I wonder how many of these guys ruined their phone while working under a sink and a suprise dose of water from a pipe blasted it

frosencarrotz

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, I carry a flashlight just because I kind of find it fun just to carry. I don't even bother explaining why I do what I do anymore since I know people won't listen or care lol.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to do hvac repair, but my shoulders are messed up so I cant quite do the job, but always used good lights. whenever a dopey technician shows up at my apartment for a repair, they always use phone flashlight, I just shake my head at their stupidity. I wonder how many of these guys ruined their phone while working under a sink and a suprise dose of water from a pipe blasted it
My thoughts too when I see a tech using their phone. A friend of mine is a maintenance tech at a local factory. He uses his cell phone for all his lighting needs. I've tried and tried to get him to at least get a 10 buck nitecore tube but he won't spend the money. I just can't understand why you would want to take the chance of breaking a 600 dollar smart phone just because you won't spend 10 bucks.

Taz80

Enlightened
It's amazing/shocking to me that people think nothing of going out on the town and spending a couple of hundred bucks or going on a weeks vacation and spending thousands. But won't even consider spending fifty or less for a decent light that would make their life/work a lot easier. Since I'm all about the right tool for the job it boggles my mind.

BrotherHorse

Newly Enlightened
I feel like I am "Licenced to Carry" when I take a walk in the late evenings at 1350 real tested Lumens in my pocket.
A beefed up Solarforce L2P Special Edition with a 1300+ lumen drop-in, copper wrap, extra heavy copper wires and high current springs. . . .
That and a walking stick.
I do not have any fear walking now or going from the car to a building or back. . . at night.

BrotherHorse

Newly Enlightened
The 1350 tested lumen tac light I carry in my pocket, as well as no more fear walking at night or early morning. . . .
(or going Downtown at night) . . . . I'm guessing that "Anything with eyes". . .attacking Dogs. . . wolves, bears?. . . would be blinded by 1350 lunens and it would GET WORSE the closer they got.

So, I haven't had to test that on animals . . ..YET !

Has anyone HAD to experience that yet?

Richub

Enlightened
I got the topic name asked today by a new colleague when I emptied my backpack to get the dust and sand out. He was completely baffled why anyone would carry a flashlight near summer solstice, let alone carry three: Fenix E05, E35 UE and TK35 UE.

Later that day he lost an earring while taking off his sweatshirt, and my E35 on medium helped him to find it quickly under his desk. After that, the lights in the bathroom were off once again, my E05 came in handy when he had to go.
After that, he just apologized, and asked me for advice to get a decent EDC flashlight for himself. He ended up ordering a Fenix LD12. :D

Latest posts