WWII Navy Battle Lantern

Kirk

Enlightened
Gordo,
The Roflan lights are made of a fiber-reinforced plastic material, similar to Bakelite. Probably a phenolic of some kind.
Kirk

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Well dang! How crazy is it to dig out old threads anyways?

Wonder if rkanddms got his battle lantern running after all?

I was a IC electrician in the Navy, and the Electrician Mate's from the lighting shop were always lugging big cartons of the 6-Volt dry cells around for these lanterns. The ship had hundreds of them, everywhere! Almost in every compartment of any importance.
There were stories of shipmates, probably from deck department, of tossing the portables over the side (in port) for fun :scowl:. Because of the superb water-tightness and the heavy batteries situated towards the back, the lanterns would slowly sink beam up, all the way down.

I was able to make room for either a 6 or 12 Volt SLA inside my battle lantern depending on which lamp I was running at the time.The choices were 30 or 50 Watt, both Very Narrow Spot. Not much run time but with outputs nearing 300-400 Lumens. A small charging plug hangs out of the back.

Donn, Gordo, or Kirk, if you guys see this post, and even the slightest bit interested, I'd like to partake in a group upgrade effort of this light.:candle:
It's very dark outside. Time to Shine!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
navylite.jpg
Now that is a cool looking light!

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
They were also very comforting during General Quarters, which could last for hours on end, especially when damage control would send us into some pretty creepy unlit spaces.

ProgrammerTim

Newly Enlightened
If anyone is still looking for a bulb, my father "somehow" ended up with one of these after his tour. He always said that a standard vw bug (original, I don't know about the new bugs) headlight would work.

JimKlaas

Newly Enlightened
I have an old grey battle lantern. I have been told it is from ww2. I recently sand blasted it, powder coated, and replaced all the gaskets and screws. No it is no longer "stock" but I love the look and wanted to USE IT! I live in a tent for 3 months of the year and this lamp would just fit in PERFECTLY. I would really like to put a halogen bulb and rechargeable battery in it. Anybody try this yet? The picture shows where I am right now...notice no switch or bulb yet...Attached is a picture of my project so far.....

[email protected]

Project so far...
columbiariver

Please email me with suggestions and or thoughts.

Michaeljp86

Newly Enlightened
I picked up one of these today at a auction for $20, I almost got it for $5 but there is always one person who screws you up. We used these in coast guard boot camp and they still have them in the motor life boats. I just had to have it. Its a little beat up and needs batteries.

DSCI1087.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GUMBOMASTER

Newly Enlightened
ARESOME LANTERN, I HAVE ONE AND THANKS FOR POSTING PIC. NOW I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS

navylite2.jpg

These came in (at least) two configurations. They all had bulkhead brackets on the back, and one style was wired into the ship's system to keep the cells charged, while the other carried non-rechargeable cells.

The best way to ID them is to follow the Mil-F number and NSN # which will be somewhere on the case, or on a label inside.[/QUOTE]

GUMBOMASTER

Newly Enlightened
I have one just like this!! Super Tough!! Great Quality!!

:)I was wondering what kind of light I had. I picked it up at a yard sale really cheap. It looks exactly the same,yellow in color. It's way more beat up though. It does not matter, this bad boy is built to lsat. It's built like a Battle Ship! I did not know if it would work or not, so I went to the Family Dollar to buy the batteries. They were only 1 or 2 dollars each compared to God knows how much for the Duracells! It lit up like a charm! I did not need a bulb, it just needed a good cleaning! It's been over a year and the lights still working. The bulb is not to bright though. I am disabled and whealchair bound, so I use a lot of different headlights. This thing is really heavy but it's really nice also. I was thinkinig about putting it on Ebay because it's so heavy. I was thinking about replacing it with the newer led lights. NO WAY NOW!!!! I am so glad I did some investigating and found out more about this. Thanks a lot guys for taking plenty of good photos!!
I picked up one of these today at a auction for $20, I almost got it for $5 but there is always one person who screws you up. We used these in coast guard boot camp and they still have them in the motor life boats. I just had to have it. Its a little beat up and needs batteries.

DSCI1087.jpg

Michaeljp86

Newly Enlightened
Re: I have one just like this!! Super Tough!! Great Quality!!

I paid $20 for mine, $8 for batteries, $11 for a bulb. So I have about $40 into it. The bulb that was in it looks fine but someplace in it the current wasnt going through. A LED lamp for it is over $60 so I said the heck with that.

I just put mine on a scale its 7lb 2.5 ounces. Im sure with better batteries it would be about 8 pounds. It doesnt look bright but take it out in the dark and you see far.

When I was in boot camp and we had to do training where there was a explosion or something bad like that. We had to rush into a ship, really it was a building but it was pitch black with smoke and crazy noise and flashing lights. We had to find a body and locate all their wounds and bandage them up then drag them out.

Each group had a bag of medical supplies and one of these lanterns. I remember seeing those goofy yellow boxes on the floor thinking is that a light? That is so cool, I wish I had one of those. I think I even got yelled at because I was more interested in the light then the dieing plastic guy on the floor.

Boudreaux

Newly Enlightened

Welcome GUMBOMASTER!

If anyone is interested in obtaining one of the older model gray metal Navy Battle Lantern, there are several listed on ebay.

More info on Navy Battle Lanterns may be found in the thread under "Collectors" entitled "MY ANTIQUE ELECTRIC LANTERN AND FLASHLIGHT COLLECTION (MANY PICS)" by Captain Smiley. Another source of info is www.flashlightmuseum.com.

Also, there is a thread "A SHORT HISTORY OF THE DELTA MANUFACTURING COMPANY" by Kirk.

Last edited:

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened

I have one of these yellow battle lanterns and access to some CNC equipment. I want to convert it over to some high power LEDs (XM-L U2?) for both super bright searchlight duty and long run emergency use. I'd love to use something like the module in the Nitecore TM11. I'd also love to put an external power input jack on the back with a switch as I have some 24vdc 100AH SLAs that I could plug it into. You could also run it off a 12v power jack in a car. I figure I could use one of these http://www.western-robotics.com/hercules-BEC-HC_hp.html to drop up to 45vdc down to something the driver could use. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

USMC

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these old yellow lanterns I got at a yard sale for like 2 dollars...no battery

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Very cool. Good luck with your project.

Nice to see some activity on this old thread. :thumbsup: