X7vn vs TK75vnQ70

ven

Flashaholic
If you need distance, say 150m + then go with a throw biased light to put some light on the subject. If 150m will cover it, the Q70 will light all up in its way with flood(i know the q70 will reach out further, but i am talking plenty of light on the subject).

For $20-$30 or so, the kits save fumbling in the dark swapping cells around................more than double the run time, might last you 2 or 3 days of use before charging up..............just thoughts. If you have a spare set(same/matched) why swap out when you could have them together or you could even be ready and swap the tube/holder if you dont want the added length.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a fenix guy, so i will recommend tk75vnq70. Why?? Better quality. Both switch operate as driver vnx2. You can add extended runtime kit ( if you choose to) for the longer runtime. Battery carrier must be modded.. let me see what else. Oh yea stainless steel bezel. Better heat sinking, and wiring guage.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Well, pricing out the TK75vnQ70, and extender, and batteries brings the X65vn into my radar. Huge throw, floods pretty decent but not a wall of light, and great looking beam with the 5000K. Any thoughts on that one?

drummer132132

Enlightened
Well, pricing out the TK75vnQ70, and extender, and batteries brings the X65vn into my radar. Huge throw, floods pretty decent but not a wall of light, and great looking beam with the 5000K. Any thoughts on that one?

Very good light. On max output it will get hot very fast. 1-2 mins tops. Add 1-2 minutes per output as you go down as in for 70%, 50% and so on. Xhp35 hi is a cookin led which gives you excellent throw and output along with the heat. Not sure if it's a lumen thing or voltage in why it's a warm led. I wonder if xhp70 has less heat than the xhp35 hi. You could run 30% for 10 min'ish without any active cooling like wind. Very good output and throw at that %.

I think these are the choices in th end:

X7vn
TK75vnQ70 with or without extension
RC40vnF
TN40Svn xpl hi or xhp35 hi (xpl hi less heat)
X65vn

Personally I lean towards the Fenix lights but I also prefer Fenix. Build quality and heatsink design imo edge it out against others. Downside is they will be expensive and dependent if vinh will source and mod them. TK75vnQ70 won't be an issue but the RC40 might be more of a stretch though probably not in the end. The Q70 I think will have the widest spill and definitely filled in spill due to the nature of the led. The RC40vnF will have less spill width but spill will probably be even brighter. It will be most expensive option. Guessing $750. If you went super crazy go RC40vn40 lol. Thing is a pure flood monster and goes 200kcd from sheer force haha.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
RC40vnF would be nice, but Vinh isn't really responding about that one, making me think he might not want to be building it (same goes for RC40vnF40). I think the only issues with the current monster flooder to me is that in a few months they might be unseated by the X9vn, and make me wonder why I didn't wait a few months for it to come along. But then again it's like that with every light I guess. There will always be a brighter one soon enough. The original specs on the TK75vnQ70 intrigued me because lots of output with 200K lux or so, and if I could have that combo I think I'd feel future proof enough to take it and run with it knowing it had both very nice output and flood with 900 m of throw. 110k lux isn't anything to sniff at, but I'd love some more throw if possible, as I'm pretty sure when The X9vn comes out it will likely throw that much if not more along with nearly 30000 lumens.

The heat of the XHP35 HI is a concern. I'm guessing the XHP35 HD is similar in heat? The TN40Svn with the XHP HD is 10000 lumens with 300K lux, throwing 1100 meters. I'm sure it will be overheating really quickly though as well like the other XHP35 based lights. I would hope that the X65vn could cool down quick enough with its large size, but I have no idea how it fares. The thing about that light is it throws like a dedicated thrower with a massive hot spot and good spill, it's just a beast. The thing is I do want a wow light like that, but I need one that can run at a lower mode for decent continuous times without overheating while still putting out enough output. If at 30% it's not flooding enough for me and I need to put it in a mode that overheats it in 5 minutes or less to suit my needs then it isn't really practical. That's where something like the RC40vnF plays well pushing almost 5000 lumens at 25%, which I'm 100% positive will serve my needs. That should easily hold up for decent stretches. I'll email Vinh again and ask his thoughts.

ven

Flashaholic
As much as a beast the x65vn is, I don't think it suits your requirements as much as the Q70. Out of that size/class, the tk75 seems to handle heat the best.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
You've got a good point about waiting for the X9(VN). That light will approach the numbers of some of the super expensive lights Vinh makes for much less. I heard the X9 to come out between $400 and $500. It will be something else to be able to maintain the nearly 30,000 lumens that Vinh will likely get out of it for more extended periods with the fan running. Thing is, when the battery runs out, the battery runs out. Also, you can make a diffuser cap for any of the big throwing lights to alter the beam into a wall of light at the expense of about 25% of the output.

One more point about the X9(VN), it's not out yet.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I made a video about how to make your own diffuser cap for any light. It has everything step by step. It's not for everyone but it definitely gives you a way to turn a thrower into a flooder at any time. That diffuser video

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Good video on the diffusers. They certainly turn a thrower into a flooder. Only issue could be how hot those throwers will get trying to match the 30% output of a TK70vnQ70. You are talking almost 5000 lumens of flood at 30%, versus having to run at least 50%-70% on a thrower, with all of the heat that goes along with it, to match that type of flood. So more heat and more battery is being used to make your thrower try to flood like a flooder. Obviously the throwers can get out there and reach things way past what a flooder can do, but it seems like most of the high output throwers are running the XHP35 which heats up a a really quick rate. The bottom line is I'm sure in the next year I'll have both a great flooder and a great flooder. It's too hard to try to pick one light as a "do it all" light, which is what I'm trying to do now.

Waiting on the X9vn may be a plan for me, but for all I know Olight will be waiting another year to release it at the rate they've been moving with it. Even though it will outperform the TK75vnQ70, it will be much larger, with a battery pack, thus less flexible in battery capacity and charging options. I should just buy the TK75 and be done with it at this point. I can always sell it and buy something else in the future if I ever feel like it doesn't serve my needs as good as whatever future lights come out. No use in getting caught up in the spec game, as lights will always get better and brighter as technology evolves. I just want to buy something I know I'll be happy with for a long while so I don't have to listen to my wife complain about me buying too many lights.

ven

Flashaholic
You will find 10k or 15k etc very bright , every few thousand lumens on top appears a bump up and not HUGE if makes sense. The tk75vnQ70 will always have a place, 15k+ in a medium size light , decent heat dissipation, flexible with run time kits and obviously excellent build/quality from fenix.

My opinion, throwers generally should stay that way(single huge reflector)..........dedicated, as with flood type lights.............stay flood. So a dedicated light of each is great in a collection, and also some in between that can reach out a far way and offer lots of useful spill as a do it all type light.

The Q70 reaches out around 100kcd which is not to be sniffed at, not too long ago actual dedicated throwers struggled much past that distance.............

I would look at a 5000k option for the colours, although the cool white is pretty decent for a CW . Vinh has some hi cri options too, if that floats your boat. I always say flooders are better for a more neutral temp as its more closer up , so beneficial. Throwers imo its not as important, can get away with CW more and as long as no angry blue tints in there, all should be good. Still a 5000k thrower is hard to beat imho......................nice balance and colour in the spill.

The x9 certainly looks a beast of a light, when it comes out is anyone's guess though.............You can still have plenty of options with the rc40vn if you want a big output flooder. The x9 is certainly flood biased looking at the shallow reflectors and xhp70's. No doubt a wall of light out a few 100m........... Dont think it will reach out as far as the rc40vnF as that light has deeper reflectors to help focus the light further . But should have a wider spill/flood than the rc40.

The Q70 is certainly a good bit lighter than the rc40, so a little more friendly if its in hand for any duration, give/take as the rc40 handles heat better with the added mass.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ven, your words and pictures are a huge help. I'll ask Vinh if he will do an RC40vnF for me, as the output with 200K lux is huge. I just know he doesn't have it on his site, and not long ago he said he wasn't really liking to build them as much. To me it will give up output and flood width to the X9 but certainly throw farther. The X9 and RC40 are huge lights though with battery packs, which I'm not super thrilled about. The output and heat dissipation are great, but I'd likely want to use a shoulder strap with them if I carried them any great distance. I'd probably want a spare battery handle as well, which would be big money. The TK75 size without an extension makes a very handy and relatively light package for sure, and as far as I know it hasn't been eclipsed yet in a light of similar size for output and heat dissipation. The X7vn isn't far off in lumens, but doesn't throw as far, have as wide of a beam, and won't handle heat as well as the TK75. Throwing over 600m isn't bad at all either for a pure flooder in a mid sized package with the TK75. I think I'll send Vinh an email requesting the RC40vnF, and if he declines to build it I'll just get the TK75 and not look back. Eventually I'll get a good thrower, but I may wait until another LED comes along with similar performance (output and throw combined) but less heat build up than the XHP35 HI.

ven

Flashaholic
Welcome,I have not been out for much over an hour with the rc40, tbh no issue with weight or using it. Fairly hefty, but by no means an issue...................

If you state in no rush and to build when he has time, he may be able to build you one.

Best bet is to aim for a light that suits its use, then at a later date again get a dedicated light for a specific application. Get the one that is more suited or that you will get most use out of 1st.........simple as that. After that aim for a more dedicated thrower .............

Check the k60vn out, this is a good "do it all" light, around 200kcd, lots of bright spill and a near perfect beam from the shaved dome xhp70 in a large OP reflector.

Insidious problems? Can't afford $4,300 on flashlight? Need to clear out a begrudged haunted house? Need consistent 40-watt light bulb ceiling bounce from bare tree branches?

Sky Lumen's TK75VNQ70 is the solution! Love, Eddie

Last edited:

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told you guys i ordered a tk75vnq70 diffuse dome over x7vn... tk75vn will never die.. great quality. Very comfortable to hold. Better heat sink. Better electronics quality.. larger reflector. You can add extended runtime kit.. couldnt ask for more..

ven

Flashaholic
Yep, the tk75 pretty much in any form for me is a winner, classic through and through. Slap 4 xhp70's in there and a winning recipe for a flood monster without crazy size...................