Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Dooner51

Newly Enlightened
I would just like to thank you for all the hard work that you put into your reviews. I'm new here and have learned a great deal from your reviews. Its great to read information instead of opinion. Thanks again.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the two grooves strangely located, seems like those sort of features should be near the head for increased thermal transfer to the atmosphere. The good thing is there is not a separate head and body, so the heat can travel directly down the tube and be dissipated by the entire body, not just the head.

I found a good use for the grooves. 5/8" GITD O-rings drop right in and sit flush with the body.

IMG_4163.jpg

Even the flashlight approves!

IMG_4164.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, Xeno has upgraded the E03 line to now include Cree XM-L emitters.

Although I haven't directly tested the new XM-L version, my experience of XM-L vs XP-G lights to date lets me draw a couple of tentative conclusions:

First. you should reasonably expect greater output for equivalent runtime on Max with the XM-L, especially on 14500 Li-ion/14505 lithium. However, due to the floodier beam of the XM-L, this may not appear too noticeable at a distance (i.e. will be more noticeable at close/confined distances - where you are frankly unlikely to be using Max).

Lower levels are likely to be the same efficiency as the XP-G emitter. I don't know whether output will be increased compared the XP-G version, but the difference isn't likely to be huge, in either output or runtime (but will again be less throwy on the XM-L).

Although hard to say more without directly testing both, I would recommend you choose between the XM-L and XP-G versions on the basis on the beam pattern (i.e. flood vs throw, respectively).

AlexLED

Enlightened
Thanks, once again, great review !

Sorry if this has been asked already, does this light have a reverse polarity protection ??

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Sorry if this has been asked already, does this light have a reverse polarity protection ??
Not that I know of. Note that there is a spring on the positive contact plate in the head, to allow use of flat top cells - so there is certainly no physical reverse polarity protection. Would have to check with the dealer to see if they know about any circuit feature.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
What's the OTF on Eneloops with this? Anyone know? I am thinking about getting one.

silverglow

Newly Enlightened
What's the OTF on Eneloops with this? Anyone know? I am thinking about getting one.

In my E03 V2 XM-L (I have the warm white version) manual it says the following (for the Cool White version):

Using NiMH battery: Low (150 mA - 45 lms - 4 hrs), Ultra Low (20 mA - 20 lms - 20 hrs), High (350 mA - 120 lms - 1 hr)
Using Li-ion battery: Low (1A - 280 lms - 45min), Ultra Low (300 mA - 80 lms - 2.5hrs), High (1.5 A - 430 lms - 20 Min.)

Last edited:

thedeske

Enlightened
I found the two grooves strangely located, seems like those sort of features should be near the head for increased thermal transfer to the atmosphere. The good thing is there is not a separate head and body, so the heat can travel directly down the tube and be dissipated by the entire body, not just the head.

I found a good use for the grooves. 5/8" GITD O-rings drop right in and sit flush with the body.

IMG_4163.jpg

Even the flashlight approves!

IMG_4164.jpg

Great Idea - Love the Black/Purple Blue set. Very tempting.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Nice review, thanks! Not too much discussion on this light here!

Seems like this is quite a bargain, if you are searching a 14500-capable somewhat powerful EDC.
Maybe manufacturer will make those low-modes better for next editions. I´m sure many will skip this because of that

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

I've been trying to read everything about he amazing Xeno 03 xm-l.

So far it looks and sounds amazing. But , I wanted to ask all your professional opinions on how it will compare to my fenix e21.

I don't have any experiences with any other led flashlights, as this is my first expensive light I own. Ive only had it or a week and find myself playing with it everyday. So I think I'll have a blast with the Xeno.

On paper I looks to be much more powerful (with 14500s) than my fenix e21, but will I be blown away in person?

Thanks for your input :) cheers

silverglow

Newly Enlightened
Guess I'll find outs, When my new Xeno E03 XML cool white arrives :)

I just saw a new posting in the Xeno E03 sales thread on cpfmarketplace.com where user ernsanada posted three comparative pics of the three levels of a Xeno E03 CW using a Black AW 14500 3.7V 750mAh Battery. I've only used my Xeno E03 WW with Eneloops so far so I haven't been able to help you, but I'm very much looking forward to my ordered 14500s now as the output is really impressive! But look for yourself :) :

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...M-AA-14500-Pocket-Rocket!-(CW-NW-WW!)/page17&

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened
I just saw a new posting in the Xeno E03 sales thread on cpfmarketplace.com where user ernsanada posted three comparative pics of the three levels of a Xeno E03 CW using a Black AW 14500 3.7V 750mAh Battery. I've only used my Xeno E03 WW with Eneloops so far so I haven't been able to help you, but I'm very much looking forward to my ordered 14500s now as the output is really impressive! But look for yourself :) :

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...M-AA-14500-Pocket-Rocket!-(CW-NW-WW!)/page17&

Very nice silverglow! Thank you :)

saypat

Enlightened

Hey Silverglow. How do you like your Xeno running on the Eneloops?
Let us know how the 14500's work for you. Yes, that pic was very impressive!

patrick

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Eneloops exclusively with my 3 E03's, It compares favorably in brightness to other single AA lights on Nimh and all the levels are usable. I use Med (~40-60 lm) the most followed by low (~4lm) and then max the least.

The Xeno E03 on 14500 is great for showing off but the lack of a real low and med are usability killers. Nobody would design a light with those levels on purpose, its more like "hey it didn't blow up so let's sell it as a feature!" Its better than those Fenix where you loose all lower modes, but its not as good as a proper buck driver like on the Quarks.

Last edited:

silverglow

Newly Enlightened

Hey Silverglow. How do you like your Xeno running on the Eneloops?
Let us know how the 14500's work for you. Yes, that pic was very impressive!

patrick

Hi Patrick,

I haven't been using my E03 (Warm-White) extensively so far, but even on Eneloops I'm already very satisfied with it regarding brightness. For a single AA light, is has respectable output, only my AA Zebralights do better in that regard. But I really like my blue E03 WW for the purplish blue color of its anodization as well as the the very nice warm white tint. overall form and quality is very good, too.

Regarding use with 14500s, I received my very first 14500s only today, a pair of Trustfires. I haven't charged them yet because unfortunately, one of them was already dead with 0.00 Volt resting voltage, only the other one was alright with 3.77 Volt. But after what I read about those xxxfire brands' quality in the past days here on CPF, I'm not even sure I will use them now at all for safety reasons because after I ordered these Trustfires, I luckily found a German seller of Sony 14500s (Li-Mn, unprotected) and I'm expecting the delivery of my order tomorrow.

I'll post my opinion about this and maybe also do a beamshot of it (if it works out well with my camera) soon though.

Last edited:

silverglow

Newly Enlightened
I use Eneloops exclusively with my 3 E03's, It compares favorably in brightness to other single AA lights on Nimh and all the levels are usable. I use Med (~40-60 lm) the most followed by low (~4lm) and then max the least.

The Xeno E03 on 14500 is great for showing off but the lack of a real low and med are usability killers. Nobody would design a light with those levels on purpose, its more like "hey it didn't blow up so let's sell it as a feature!" Its better than those Fenix where you loose all lower modes, but its not as good as a proper buck driver like on the Quarks.

Yes, performance with Eneloops is already satisfying and the loss of a real low is the biggest weakness of this light on 14500s. I intend to use my E03 primarily with 14500s though on Med and Low for extended runtime and because I think it's nice to have that impressive boost power available and as I carry 4 extra Eneloops with me most of the time, I could still switch to them if necessary. I agree that the E03's body is probably not large enough to handle the heat with 14500s for more than a few minutes without risk of damage to the emitter, but that's enough most of time I think.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I the very first time became aware of this little light. The performance with the new XM-L model makes me the first time to be interested in using 14500 batteries. The options of neutral and warm tints I think is maybe the best thing, however. Also the price is very attractive. Would like to see runtime charts with the XM-L emitter at the three modes.
I am tempted to order a blue, or maybe two of them, would be interesting to see how it performs compared to my Fenix LD10 R5.

Regards, Patric

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
FYI, a local CPF member has loaned me a EOS Neutral XM-L for output/runtime testing. I should have the results up by this time next week.

After the conclusion of your evaluation, may I ask if you could post also your impression of the tint ?

tactical_hid said (link) that the tint of the Neutral White XM-L is 3C.

Since 3C (link) is around 5000K, I thought that meant that the tint should be pure white which is the case for a 5000K CFL that I have.

But two people commented that their NW XM-L is yellow.

(link) "My nw xeno e03 xml is yellower thou, but nothing close to an incan."

(link) "I have what is supposed to be the Neutral White Zeno, but I can't imaging a light being any warmer than mine is. It is rather nice, I like the warm beam, but it is pretty yellow, far from being neutral white."

During my limited experience with flashlights, my favorite tint is the tint of our Maglite 2D incandescent. To my eyes, it's not pure white, but it's also not as warm as an incandescent light bulb. So I'm hoping that the Xeno XM-L NW is comparable in tint based on the above two comments.

Last edited: