XeVision ULTRA 80-85W Super head mod - SIGN UP NOW

Rasher

Enlightened
With these various compromises, what now are the (final?) specifications re: otf lumens, candela, expected bulb useful life?

Can the two of us that stepped up for brand-new reasonably expect delivery before Christmas this year?

Best,
R

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the first one already finalized. They will all 10 leave here within about 2 weeks or end of November. The only possible slight delay will be the Laser markings on the bodies. ULTRA 85 X/10
Lasering will be done on all 10 the same day or 2 batches of 5. Yours and most others should leave here by the end of November, barring any Laser delay which should be at most another week.
Your unit is here ready for final ballast body assembly. Yours would be one of the first ones out (group of 5) since we have not received any bodies yet for modification from others.
4 bodies will be here and ready this Friday for Lasering, that could be done as early as next week (Thanksgiving week), but somewhat more likely the following week.
You are currently number 2 in the queue and ULTRA 85 5/10.
Expected useful bulb life depends on how much you use 40 watts vs 85 watts.
If you mostly used 40 watts, bulb life is about 1500 hours. Mostly 85 watt usage would be about 10% of that or 150 to 200 hours.
The Lumens output when the 3 different bulbs are new is almost identical.
Lumens at the bulb for all of these 3 bulb possibilities will be the approximately same in the 9,000 to 10,500 range.
Even Identical bulbs will vary by about + 8% so we can use 9800 bulb lumens as the median number.
There is more variation between identical bulbs than the median variation between these 3 different bulbs.
Expected life of the 2 bulbs included should approximate the life of one Fatboy.

Last edited:

Rasher

Enlightened
Thank you for the rapid and detailed answers!
Please advise on price and where to send payment (reply or my e-mail contact you have).
Also, please recall I do not wish to have a number engraved - I presume this can still be accommodated?

Best,
R

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this can be accommodated, That will speed up your purchase quite a bit, assuming you don't want ULTRA 85 engraved as well in the mid section of the light.
It could even happen this week, to ship out or for sure by early next week.
For the rest, please call during our business hours. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm MST (Utah).
To finalize all the details etc.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the rapid and detailed answers!
Please advise on price and where to send payment (reply or my e-mail contact you have).
Also, please recall I do not wish to have a number engraved - I presume this can still be accommodated?

Best,
R

Patience grasshopper, patience....:)

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rasher...."If you're on my dipshit list (you've exhibited anserine behaviour here), I don't see your posts, so don't expect a reply.
Current members: karlthev, bulbmogul."

Ah likewise Grasshopper!! :):)

As oft said in Texas, "Big hat, no cattle".

Karl

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are ready to receive in the units for modification and the others: please contact us by phone: 801-622-7000 to arrange the details. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm MST (mountain standard time) ask for Dan.
Our address is: XeVision 4245 Airport Road Ogden, Utah 84405
For out of country individuals ( i believe only 1 ) please communicate via telephone or this email: dblumelatXeVisiondotcom

Last edited:

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
Bulb health? This may be a question best answered by Dan who would have more experience. But what are your routine and thoughts?

Eg: Fluorescent lamps lose around 3 hours of life every time you turn them on. Over the life of these bulbs the glass darkens and the lumen output decreases.

HID bulbs are said to darken over time with each fire up. True? Would it be better to start them at low then switch to high for longevity and lumen retension? Or should we start from high and then switch to low? Is switching between intensities the same as turning the lamp on and off again? Will turning them on and off over and over darken them and cause loss of service life?

When I have used my HID lights I have always run them for at least a few minutes before turning them off thinking this was better then just extinguishing them after just 30-60 seconds.

Also, Dan, what is the shipping ETA for our lights at this time?

Thanks in advance.

AEHaas

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulb health? This may be a question best answered by Dan who would have more experience. But what are your routine and thoughts?
Eg: Fluorescent lamps lose around 3 hours of life every time you turn them on. Over the life of these bulbs the glass darkens and the lumen output decreases.
HID bulbs are said to darken over time with each fire up. True? Would it be better to start them at low then switch to high for longevity and lumen retension? Or should we start from high and then switch to low? Is switching between intensities the same as turning the lamp on and off again? Will turning them on and off over and over darken them and cause loss of service life?

When I have used my HID lights I have always run them for at least a few minutes before turning them off thinking this was better then just extinguishing them after just 30-60 seconds.
Also, Dan, what is the shipping ETA for our lights at this time?
Thanks in advance. AEHaas

It is best to start on low (1 - 2 minutes) then very quickly switch to high. If done very quickly the hot restrike HV is not needed. If not quickly switched then there is no preference.
These bulbs do NOT darken with age (Use) except sometimes when they reach end of life (can't maintain ignition), they only temporarily darken if they never complete the start up cycle, maybe less than 20 seconds on.
If that happens the next normal usage will resolve the temporary darkening. If switched back and forth between high and low very quickly, its not the same as on/off cycles.
1 to 2 minutes on is preferred but not required by any means.
We are projecting to get engraving done late this week or early next. We expect to ship out all lights next week. All of the lights have been upgraded, all that's left is laser engraving.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news!!! Thanks Dan. Let us know when to set up the tents to wait for delivery.Karl

All of the lights were brought to the laser engraver today. You guys are gonna love the engraving. Sample of number 10/10 approximately how it will look below.
Rasher gets no numbers as he requested.
The engraving will be opposite side of the existing High / Low markings, 180 degrees on the other side on that same ring section. The only place we can put it, since the on/off ring is in the middle and the handle is at the other flat section. A few of you already had the XeVision part because the lights were originally purchased from us.

ULTRA 85