XSTAR 3400mAh batteries for ZL SC62

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC62w will take everything from flat tops at ~65mm to the Eagletacs a bit over 69mm. The spring will just compress tighter, but it's still not a struggle to get the cap on.

I've only seen the Eagletacs listed as 68.3 mm - making them the shortest (3400 mAh) protected cells in existence, as far as I know.

In any case, I forget who, but someone recently told me that some new Keeppowers wouldn't fit in their SC62 (diameter was the problem, not length). Given the Xtar cells are among the very widest 18650s I have, I would be a little more concerned about the width, as opposed to the length. It isn't just a matter of compressing a spring more...the metal walls aren't gonna give. Really you want at least a small amount of play...otherwise you might damage the wrapper as you insert or remove the cell.

markr6

Flashaholic
I've only seen the Eagletacs listed as 68.3 mm - making them the shortest (3400 mAh) protected cells in existence, as far as I know.

In any case, I forget who, but someone recently told me that some new Keeppowers wouldn't fit in their SC62 (diameter was the problem, not length). Given the Xtar cells are among the very widest 18650s I have, I would be a little more concerned about the width, as opposed to the length. It isn't just a matter of compressing a spring more...the metal walls aren't gonna give. Really you want at least a small amount of play...otherwise you might damage the wrapper as you insert or remove the cell.

Yeah I like the play with my button tops (length and width); snug but enough play to slide in and out by just holding it upright. For other plain cells, I wrap part of a post-it note to eat up the space.

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
IMR is a safer chemistry, it's still Li-ion, so still needs the same respect. But you generally won't find protection circuits (protected) IMR cells, as they don't need it. You still shouldn't discharge them below 2.75v however.

Along with being safer they as a rule can handle higher......

Thanks that's really useful:)

I predominantly use my lights for running and mountain biking so am always on 'High'. 'Turbo' is pointless for me as they all step down- ZL is of course thermally regulated so probably would remain in that setting with current temps but 'High' also gives me the runtime I need as well (anything from 1-3hrs) with biking needing the most and usually some active management ie 'Medium' or 'Low' on ascents.

I have been looking at the NiWalker MM15 and Fenix BC30 as well and certainly on the MM15 I had seen 'high drain' mentioned a few times so IMR sounds like a good candidate. I take it the 35A IMR's in the MM15 would maintain brightness longer than the 20A IMR's or any ICR but runtime likely diminished?

Have found what looks a decent source of Efest although only look like flat top. Think all of mine can use either so probably ok. Already have voltmeter as well and always check my ICR ones anyway so am in the habit if they need a bit more looking after.

Did also find some XSTAR 3100 batteries which are a bit shorter/slimmer that I had missed although I have ended up really busy this week so haven't actually managed to take things much further yet. May end up with a set of each in the end.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at the NiWalker MM15 and Fenix BC30 as well and certainly on the MM15 I had seen 'high drain' mentioned a few times so IMR sounds like a good candidate. I take it the 35A IMR's in the MM15 would maintain brightness longer than the 20A IMR's or any ICR but runtime likely diminished.

Because the MM15 is basically direct-driven, rather than regulated for constant brightness, you will get substantially higher brightness with INR/IMR cells. You will get MUCH less runtime, though, especially with lower-capacity cells like the Sony VTC5, Samsung 25R, or Efest (purple 2500mAh). Essentially the light will draw more current throughout the cycle, so a cell that has 30% less capacity might only give you half the runtime (numbers are just an example, I haven't done runtime tests with different cells). I personally like the NCR18650BD, it has a ten amp continuous rating, and 3200 mAh. A good hybrid cell...brighter than standard ICR (LiCo) cells, but considerably more runtime than true high-drain cells.

Zanders

Newly Enlightened
Have someone got a Ampere tailcap reading with IMR fresh right from the charger with ZL Sc62?