Yet another SSC P4 - MAG 3D (pics, beamshots)

joedm

Newly Enlightened
it's actually not that hard to de-solder the emitter from the star. Then you can use your existing emitter with the heatsink.

joedm

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if that was directed at me, but in any case I am just waiting on a Q5 and a 5 mode circuit from DX.

I will be using these in another Mag and of course I will post beam shots with the other Mag mods I've done.. outdoors too.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the mod. But how about some outside beam shots please?

It's hard to do it around my house premises as there are many neighbours and street lights around unless i go back my hometown which is the country side.
By the way i already kill the driver the ssc p4 LED & the KLC8 LED while testing it with 2 x 18650 cell :sick2: and now i only DD my mag 2D with a cree.
Very bright and no issue at all with that proper heatsink.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if that was directed at me, but in any case I am just waiting on a Q5 and a 5 mode circuit from DX.

I will be using these in another Mag and of course I will post beam shots with the other Mag mods I've done.. outdoors too.

I did that to a 3D (with an SSC though). The five mode 1A driver really makes the 3D fly. Wonderful.
Stefan

andyr354

Newly Enlightened

Write-up on this yet?
I already have a Malkoff in on 3D and really like it.... but if I can have something brighter yet.... :thumbsup:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Write-up on this yet?
I already have a Malkoff in on 3D and really like it.... but if I can have something brighter yet.... :thumbsup:

Why not just swap out the malkoff LED with a Q5? Could this be done? Would the different characteristics of the SSC and the Cree Q5 mess with the beam?

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want more lumens ( sorry no measurement or graph just thru naked eyes) so i decided to do the direct with this Edison Opto in the M@g 2D running it with the old Ultrafire protected 18650 cell (blue)
Vf at the emitter is 2.85v / mA at the tailcap is about 600mA.
I hope you don't have that eeew feeling with that yellow corona of the Edison Opto :eek:

30 feet on white ceiling
30feet.jpg

25 feet against the wall
25feeti.jpg

The initial mod with amc7135 1A driver (15 feet)

edison-opto-1AJPG.jpg

Rebel 80 in DX sku#4540 - 25 feet
Rebel25feet.jpg

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Joedm, I just saw this again. Thanks to this specific demostration I got a VIP from George at taskled and built my own P4 and Cree Q5 the same way. It was so helpful with all your pictures do get it right the first time and I think my wife was even impressed although she can't say too much (she thinks I am into flashlights a little to much).

Thanks again!!

Bob E.