You Just Know Your A Flashaholic When......

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How about this one....

When you decide to buy an old, unpopular model; and kit it out.

Last night's thoughts going on in my head:

Get a Streamlight TL-3 incandescent model. Buy a dozen stock bulbs. Buy half a dozen shock-resistant bulbs. All 18 OEM from Streamlight. Get a good open-top aftermarket holster for it from Blackhawk. Get an OEM rail mount for it for a future long-gun purchase. Use stock bulbs when hand-held. Switch to the other type when weapon-mounted. Buy plenty of quality CR123 cells for the set-up. Possibly track down No-Longer-In-Stock-Anywhere Thunder Ranch TL-3 inca. special because the long-gun mount and shock-resistant bulb is already included in the package. Plus you get a DVD and a handy green filter. Get a spare tailcap too. Perhaps with a couple of 17500s. And Carley 1499 bulbs.

And while you're at it. Stock up on spare bulbs for your old SL Scorpion and your grip-ring-fell-off-because-the-design-is-crappy-but-the-light-itself-is-quite-good SL NightFighter model.

Seriously consider buying an SL-20 incandescent light too. (Also with plenty of spare bulbs.)

Why?!

Because it bothers you that your army of LED lights all have an expiration date when you'll (never) reach those 100,000 hours of use for each one before it dies. So, you want at least a handful of incandescent options, even though you also own a helluva lot of other incandescent models. (Most of which are not pathetic when it comes to output.)

And why streamlight?.... Unlike SureFire, Streamlight hasn't abandoned their incandescent offerings. Plus, since each new bulb doesn't have a new reflector attached to it, you can store all the spare non-recoil resistant bulbs right in the SL official packaging. One on top of the other, on top of the other, on top of....

Also, all your LED lights will be useless junk in case of an EMP attack. (Never mind that the radiation fallout will likely kill you too.)

And finally, you don't care how old-fashioned or old-school it happens to be.... You like having an incandescent light that has the option of a spare bulb in the tailcap, just in case. If your LED blows (granted not even remotely likely to happen unless you do something utterly stupid with the battery chemistry) it's not as though you'll find a spare LED in the tailcap of your light, now is it. Hmmmmm.

Just the sort of thoughts and conclusions that go on late at night and into the very early morning hours, inside the head of a REAL flashaholic.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
And finally, you don't care how old-fashioned or old-school it happens to be.... You like having an incandescent light that has the option of a spare bulb in the tailcap, just in case..

Absolutely the way I feel, and I have all of those incan's. True that a true flashaholic is not limited with his hobby, and loves all lighting.

Bill

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
...When you have an couple of incans just because a real flashaholic should have a couple of incandescent flashlights because he's a real flashlight collector! BOOYA!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
...When you have an couple of incans just because a real flashaholic should have a couple of incandescent flashlights because he's a real flashlight collector! BOOYA!

Or, when you still buy AND use incandescent lights; despite the fact that it's 2014.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I type 's' on my tablet... The predictive text auto-complete function offers 'selfbuilt' as the first option and 'subwoofer' as the second... Guess it is because reading CPF reviews makes good bedtime reading... :)

CrazyCanuck

Newly Enlightened
When a part of you doesn't want the longer days of spring and summer to come because there isn't as much darkness that time of year and you have to wait until later at night to play with your lights outside.

So true....but Spring is my favourite time of the year, so just have to look for other ways to use my lights!!

Zeek

Newly Enlightened
when you can't buy just one light at a time because you NEED THEM ALL!!!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it starts to get dark and you don't bother turning on the overhead light. Instead you just turn on the Fenix PD32UE from your belt and lean it against something to light up the room.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
When your family is inside the restaurant eating, and your out back because there is a huge field and you got three modded lights in the mail today, and your more interested in comparing them then eating :D

(or "you know your in laws are annoying when......")

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
When your family is inside the restaurant eating, and your out back because there is a huge field and you got three modded lights in the mail today, and your more interested in comparing them then eating :D

(or "you know your in laws are annoying when......")

good one. I did that with your laser tonight. Wife-"where are you going?" Me headed out the back door-"I'll be back in a minute.":p

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
You running back inside.
"the shed is on fire"
Her "how"
You ".......... Don't know......." hides laser under the mattress.
:D

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
You running back inside.
"the shed is on fire"
Her "how"
You ".......... Don't know......." hides laser under the mattress.
:D

lol! not the shed, but, there is a nice little burn hole in my plastic hose reel now:twothumbs

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
... When you're thinking about matching flashlights with furniture and decoration rather than user interface or beam profileto have an indisputable reason to keep them all over the place.

mcorp

Enlightened
When you purposely switch off all the lights in the house and pretend its apocalypse and switch on ceiling bounce every flashlight you have, and its brighter than switching on all your house lights.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
- When you start liking lights with low lumen & sub-lumen modes that most 'normal' people would considered 'broken'.

- When you don't immediately change out the batteries on your dim Photon II keychain LED lights now, because you often like them dim. (And may carry one with new batteries and one with old ones for this reason.)

- When late at night is your favorite time out of each 24 hours because you can use your flashlights

- When you drive your family nuts with bright light glare and strobes - not purposely, but because you're trying them out.

- When you often leave the light off in a pitch dark bathroom, so you can use a flashlight in there.

- When you actually enjoy it, when the AC electric power goes out.

- When you think of flashlights when it comes to giving people gifts. (And buying the gift for them also gives you the chance to check out a flashlight that you might not get for yourself because you already have enough of that general category type. Youre also an expert in putting the light back in the package after you've tried it out for a few minutes, exactly the way it came. No one can tell it was opened when they get it as a gift.)

- When you come up with all sorts of 'reasons' why a particular new light is needed for a particular specific application. - - - Of course, you already own plenty of lights which would do the job just fine (but not 'perfectly' :grin2: ).

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha. " excuse me, do you have any living room sets in anodized titanium"

I was thinking of wooden flashlights, cerakote and special anodizing, but I kinda like the titanium couch idea... go for it!

Latest posts