Your Everyday Sunglasses ?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Your EDC Sunglasses ?

Now that I am an oldster and wear bifocals, I miss my RayBans. I had at least five pairs, but my favorites were custom Aviators with tobacco lenses. High quality glass, nice classic look, and the color of the lenses let me see with great contrast control.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys know the real Maui Jim story, right? I guess there was a guy in Hawaii named Jim who started a sunglass business. He was having some financial problems--business is a tough game. He decided to go the John Delorean route--and started smuggling drugs. Well, he got caught. The business was taken over by more savvy people who made Maui Jims the most technically advanced sunglasses (according to them), and very good looking (according to me). They are expensive glasses, and like Surefire, enforce retail pricing on dealers to maintain the brand premium.

[Note: I can't vouch for the accuracy of anything I've written above.]

They need to be wiped clean frequently. And I don't leave them sitting in view in my car, lest the windows be smashed and the glasses stolen by status conscious thieves.

DarkLight

Enlightened

I wear RayBans.....I forgot the model but they are sweet...

Ah Predator Olympians......very nice....

AlanS

Newly Enlightened

Another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif for Maui Jim. And I too had a great experience with their customer service department for some issue I vaguely recall as being my fault.

I have both bronze and grey versions, and feel as though I'm a far safer driver with the bronze lenses. They seem to do a great job enhancing depth and contrast.

rikvee

Enlightened

Serengeti large black Aviators, larger than any RayBan and with the best color rendition I know....

DavidTHR

Enlightened

Does anyone know if that Maui Jim story is true or not?

mccavazos

Enlightened

Personally I am very prone to losing sunglasses, so I wear an $8 pair of polarized glasses from WalMart, not the highest quality, but very good for the price IMO. So far they have lasted for 6 months will no signs of wear. just my 2 cents...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Favorite lens-Serengeti Driver, but that glass is too heavy for the shapes and styles I need, wraparounds.

EDC's-Oakley M frames with one of the coated lenses, usually the Fire types.

Maui Jims a great also.

I've worn Gargoyles, but prefer the Oakleys now.

I like the wraparound styles because I'm in the wind a lot, and my eyes are more than usually sensitive to light.

Bill

B@rt

Flashaholic

Serengeti Merlin.
I prefer glass over "plastic" lenses, the weight doesn't bother me at all with a well adjusted frame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DavidTHR

Enlightened

Does anyone wear sunglasses from a company called ESS?

A LEO friend of mine just loves them -- and he says they are priced pretty good too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened

When shooting I wear a cheap pair of "unbreakable" (yeah, right...) tinted polycarbonate safety glasses.

Usually though I wear Randolph Aviators that used to be military issue before being replaced by the same model as made by American Optical. They're heavy but good optical quality and seem to last a long time.

If I were willing to spend more than $65 I'd go with a pair of Oakleys.

Richard.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Have you seen the movie Collateral?
I wear the same shades as Tom Cruise does in that movie...
The frame is almost wire-like, so they bend easy if you keep them in your pocket, but the optics are amazing (polerized).
Oh yea, I got them before the movie! ******* copied me....

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i long for a pair of Oakley Mars sunglasses. the one's with the leather frames and gold-iridium lenses. i doubt i'll ever buy a pair since i grow cheaper as the days go by, but they're super cool.

i was thinking about treating myself to a new, more stylish pair for this summer, and i'm looking @ the Oakley Half Jacket XLJ's and Zero 7's. they look light weight and comfortable for summer-wear. also fairly strong and affordable. those Romeo 2's they're making now look great too if i win the lottery.

but to get back to the point, my everyday pair of sunglasses are a cheap pair of $10 Fossils.

but here are the Oakley Mars sunglasses:

oakleymars.jpg