Your Everyday Sunglasses ?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Your EDC Sunglasses ?

[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
Everyday Sunglasses????.....give me everyday sun here in blighty & I'll be happy...I might start an everyday & Umbrella & Raincoat thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

That must be a bit of a drag.. I sometimes think I am solar powered, the more sun I get the better I function.

Sean_Hawkins

Newly Enlightened

For normal EDC: Oakley discontinued FMJ Racing Jackets
For rough (read construction site) EDC: Rudy Project Ketyums (spelling??)

DavidTHR

Enlightened

Those are super cool Oakley Mars Sunglasses.

I have never seen that model Oakley before.

Are they a rare or discontinued Oakley style?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i believe they're both rare and discontinued, but they should still be available from a few places on the internet for $300+ in the leather version. there are also two other versions of them. neither are leather but they're both futuristic looking. i think one pair has metal frames with the black iridium lenses and the other pair are metal with ruby iridium lenses.

yeah (i know nothing of this website and have never done business, so i cannot reccomend shopping there. i'm using this link only to show the sunglasses): http://www.metrotrendonline.com/shopping/oakley/xmetals/mars/

Edit:
also, i agree with Piper about the sun. on cloudy days, especially with rain, i can barely function.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Smaller, black framed, darkest, polarized, glass lensed, cable temple, Ray-Bans. They look similar to what Jerry Garcia wore. Identical frames with clear, prescription lenses for normal duty. My father's 1950's larger framed Ray-Ban Avaitors when less attenuation is required. The new 'Bans are made in Italy.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened

I drive with Serengeti Glasses.

Any sport like biking, golf, shooting etc... i use my Rudy Project Rydon.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Speaking of the mars glasses. What about the pair I beleiv emissy elliott made famous? The pair that has a part that goes over your head than out sideways to your ears? Those are just strange looking.

avusblue

Enlightened

This topic comes up now and then around here and was discussed at length a while back here. Personally, I don't think you can find better quality, optically or durability, than Randolph Engineering sunglasses. They are the real deal, issued to US Air Force and Navy pilots as well as our astronauts. I own two pairs -- one of which I've had for over 20 years, and they are still in like-new condition. Their style is timeless and classic so they won't go in or out of fashion. And the price is reasonable. Check 'em out!

Cheers,

Dave

Aviator.jpg

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

cobb:
i can't remember for sure what the pair was, but i do remember a couple funky Oakley products that were pretty popular awhile back.

how about these? i remember there was also another pair that went over the head rather than using ear-pieces. i think these are the right sunglasses, but i remember them in different colors.

truly futuristic!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yupper, the second link, 0032. Man, that is one neat design.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

I have tried a few brands over the years (Ray Ban, Oakley, Serengeti, Bolle, and Revo) and have been pleased, but was always looking for a little more ( lighter weight, better color rendering, etc...). I shelled out the $$$ and moved over to Maui Jim and will not wear anything else. I have 2 pairs, 1 to stay in the Jeep as driving glasses and 1 to EDC. Very sweet. The EDC pair is the hinge-less style with rose color lenses, so light I forget they are on and the color rendering is very true.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have sensitive eyes due to long-term (1973) contact lens use and diabetes. I take my shades very seriously. I also value impact resistance, having been a regular IPSC competitor for a number of years.

I bought a pair of Oakley Romeo X-Metals back in 1998 that have easily been worth the money. About a year ago, I sent them back to Oakley for lens replacement and asked about having the frame re-finished. The oils in my skin are very corrosive and had taken a toll on the frames. Even though the glasses were WAY out of warranty, they shipped me a brand new pair due to the damaged finish. They said the originals should never have done that. When I called to thank them, I learned that these are actually hand-made. Talk about taking customer service to a new level. Replacing a pair of handmade $270 sunglasses that were out of warranty and doing it for free...who would have thought?

They don't make them anymore: the closest current model is the X Metal XX in 24K/24K Iridium at $350. The only changes are the re-designed bridge piece and relocated joints, and mine aren't 24K gold. If I were to lose my Romeo's, I would quickly buy the X Metal XX's. They are worth every penny.

I've owned several Ray Bans, going back to 1974, some of Oakley's original Blades, and some Maui Jim's. All were/are excellent, but Oakley's customer service has completely won me over.

I do think very highly about the Maui Jim's. Had I been able to locate a pair that fit my fat head, I would be rotating them with the Romeo's. The hingeless design is great.

BTW - even 7 years after they were designed, I still get "cool shades"-type compliments regularly.

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened

Been sporting a pair of Ray Ban "Balorama"s for about as long as I can remember. They're my first pair, and are still going strong. Ray Ban makes some stout shades.

I've also got a pair of Costa Del Mar "Catalina" shades that I wear fishing/boating as they are polarized. Let me correct that, they are WELL polarized, probably the best that I've every used. Good stuff. Too bad they discontinued the Catalina series.

Ordin

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I use a pair of prescription bifocals with black polarized lenses. Polarized lenses are the best way to reduce GLARE and reflections.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Started out with Sarengeti a long time ago and loved them. Then I moved up to Revo and have had at least 12 pairs. Love love love them. They have changed a lot over the years with how many layers of protection etc and the color of the lenses have changed a lot too. They were the best mainstream lenses around. I recently bought two more pairs and really like them a lot even though they don't have the same kewl (my fave) hi contrast brown lenses available in any models but maybe one or two.

Maui Jim is and has been making great sunglasses for a while now and the lenses rival Revo if not surpass them lately from the rumors that I've heard. My wife has a few pairs.

Definately try to figure out the type of use for the glasses you want and then pick the correct color/shape/size/performance for your needs. Check out the Revo website for some help.

Also I highly recommend glass over poly for durability. Although I use poly oakleys for mountain biking protection.

Still like the Serengetti but you can really notice the difference when comparing optics side by side with Revo or MJ - Revo makes a few photochromic lenses now too.

What to look for in sunglasses is good UV protection, high clarity, good contrast for intended use, least amount of distortion if any on outer edges, no reflection of your face/eyeball, and the popular polarizing effect which I dont care for but I like driving with them because I can see into other peoples cars better. Like the guy behind me, is easier to see if he's paying attention or whatever. Polarizing is good for boating too and water sports because the effect cuts down on glare.

Many times I wear mine indoors because I forget they are on. Another god sign of good lenses. Dont need to be heavy dark tint or mirrored heavy. They may even look dark or mirrored but they are still very clear and bright, that wearing them indoors does not always impair vision.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

GREAT TOPIC!

I just ordered a pair of Randolph Engineering Avaitors, with polarized lens.

A quick note, I spoke to the CS rep, and she told me that you can get the Avaitors, with the spring skull temples (earpiece design).

It is funny, I wanted, for years, a perscription pair of sunglasses, and this year, I had a pair made for me, but I picked out the glass frames when my eyes were dialated, big time.

What I ended up getting, was a cool pair, of small "oblong shape" lens glasses, that look cool, but are not the most effective sunglasses.

Luckily I do not need a strong perscription (I go all weekend sometimes without wearing glasses), and good sunglasses seem to correct part of my vision "stigmatism" problem.

I will have to see these Randolph Engineering sunglasses before making a firsthand comment, but this might be the best "value" in a high end sunglass!

Thanks for all the comments.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally don't like spending a whole lot on sunglasses because they seem to get lost or damaged easily (or eventually go out of style). But at the same time, I can hardly go outdoors without them and I like quality.

Campmor.com is currently carrying a wide variety of name-brand glasses, many at a substantial discount (60% off). I just picked up some Bolle 780s, polarized, normally $100, marked down to $40. It's not easy selecting sunglasses by mail order, but if you know what you want, it is a good deal.

I personally require the following features: polarized lens, wrap-around geometry, amber lens color, 100% UV blocking and no detectable distortion. It is possible to get those things in a cheap pair of sunglasses if you choose carefully (around $17). In name-brand glasses, you also usually get an anti-reflective coating, anti-scratch coating and (generally) a more durable and precisely made lens/frame system with a good warranty. That will usually cost over $100. Having owned quite a few pair of name-brand sunglasses, the extra cost is not really justified in my opinion. However, if you can get name-brand quality for $40, you have a good deal.