Your Ideal LED Light

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Spot to Flood
2. Preferably AA, but not much larger/longer than a SureFire G2L
3. Waterproof, want it to survive at least a dip in the pool for longer than 10min
4. Black Type III Anodizing, and if available, Type IV
5. Back clicky switch that is dedicated to Single mode that uses the last setting, and another button for a couple of modes. Only moon/low/mid/high/strobe/SOS(?)
6. User serviceable parts
7. Just plain white light color, not anything fancy.
8. NO strike/assault bezel

I think that's pretty normal and not over the top...

I also like spot-to-flood lights in 1xAA format. However there are some disadvantages.

Most spot to flood lights have a telescoping bezel which moves the lens away from the emitter when worked. This increases the internal volume and thus lowers the air pressure in the light. If your light is air-tight for water-resistance, the air-pressure won't be able to equalize and you may find that the light will zoom or un-zoom on its own due to air pressure. Getting around this means no speed-zoom push-pull mechanism. Instead you probably need a screw mechanism (such as on the Romisen RC29 or lenslight) or an internal zoom such as on the Smallsun ZY-A3.

As far as optics go I think a reflector lens, such as in LED Lensers is probably the best system available and results in much less lumen loss when in spot mode.

SeanHatfield

Newly Enlightened
My Quark AA is perfect :) neutral-white with tactical interface, non-tactical switch that can tailstand, on 14500.
Only thing i would change is runtime, but i think the LED and Li-Ion industries are working on that...

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
If I'm going to carry it every day, it better be small, so my number 1 priority:
1. Size

I like the 1xAA form factor, something like 18mm x 95mm, similar to a Jetbeam E3S, Nitecore D10, etc.

Then,
2. Output

My perfect (realistic) output/beam in a 1xAA LED would be: High CRI (80 minimum), very warm color (4000-4500k), max 150 ANSI lumens, medium size hotspot with a lot of spill.

Then,
3. User Interface

Forward clicky, NO FLASHING MODES!, 3 modes: max first, then low (1 lumen), then medium (50 lumens), no memory, off for 1 second or more reverts to max

Then,
4. Build

Rugged and heavy, black Type III aluminum, heavy knurling, deep-carry bezel-down removable pocket clip, lanyard hole, tail stand ability, tough glass lens, slightly crenulated bezel, light OP reflector.

I'm picturing something that looks like a Surefire E2DL, shrunken way down to a slim 1xAA form factor, with the 3-mode UI mentioned above, E1B pocket clip, and a beam that looks like my Malkoff M61HCRI.

Is all that too much to ask?

Latest posts