Your perfect EDC

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
Inova T1 is my perfect EDC light. small 1 battery, enough throw and non reflective to be a great companion for ccw and off duty use.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Similar to what everyone else has said:

Small (like a ARC AAA, or even smaller!)
Durable (ditto, internal aluminium tube with hard rubber protector outside)
Multi-lighting modes (low-med-high)
Rechargeable Li-ION battery
Runtime indicator (small multi-colour LED, Green,yellow,red, and flashing red for imminent power loss)
Clicky tailcap switch (with twist for disabling operation)
Charger base station (also small enough to fit in a pocket)
Sealed operation (dust, dirt, waterproof)
(Except when charging, the tailcap can be rotated off to expose a charging plug)
Indestructible lens (synthetic diamond?)
~1W High efficiency LED (quantum-dot dye, or super efficient phosphor layers, whatever works)
Cool running (as in it never rises above ~35C)
Inexpensive (well, for a quality EDC ~50$)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would want a light with:

*a lux 3
*A LOT OF THROW
*aluminum reflector
*glass lens
*HA3
*2 stage CLICKY
*clip
*under 4 inches

-David

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Arc AAA-P on a micro clip, inside my wallet.
Old Arc AAA-white, on a micro clip and short chain, on my belt.
Old Arc AAA-Blue, on another clip, to cross several busy streets at night, that electric blue light gets drivers' attention.
Old Streamlight 2xAAAA Stylus (was orange with a resistor that broke off, now refitted with a MJLED) in my shirt pocket.

If I want more light, I just use two or three of them held side by side.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Cheapo, do you have an Aleph yet? They seem to be exactly what you're looking for. Maybe an Aleph 1 head, 1CR123 body, and then a two stage switch.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kryosphinx said:
Cheapo, do you have an Aleph yet? They seem to be exactly what you're looking for. Maybe an Aleph 1 head, 1CR123 body, and then a two stage switch.

EVERYONE SAYS THAT... AND I KNOW THAT the Aleph is exactly what I want, but the problem is the price. Anywhere I can get the head for ~$100???

-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
EVERYONE SAYS THAT... AND I KNOW THAT the Aleph is exactly what I want, but the problem is the price. Anywhere I can get the head for ~$100???

-David

How about saving your money? Think of how much money you would have saved if you bough an aleph the first time you made a thread asking for a small light with throw, however, as of recent, I may have a solution for you. It wont throw like an aleph but I like it.

my perfect EDC would a be a ArcAAA, with a tailcap that adjusts brightness (from .01 to 10,000 lumens), and a focasable head (fro .01 degrees to 179 degrees), all that runs on a nuclear cell that will never be used up.

My ideal EDC with current technology would be a ArcAAA and an Orb RAW. Both are small, ones a dim flood that runs hours, ones a Bright semi throwy light that runs well not very long. Both are useful, and they seem to compliment each other perfectly.

A basic RAW with an extra battery should be just about 80 bucks with the current exchage rate. It wont throw like an aleph, but it will light up a dog 60-70 feet away, and it'll put out more lumens per gram then an aleph for sure.

onkeychain.jpg

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
thesurefire said:
How about saving your money? Think of how much money you would have saved if you bough an aleph the first time you made a thread asking for a small light with throw, however, as of recent, I may have a solution for you. It wont throw like an aleph but I like it.

my perfect EDC would a be a ArcAAA, with a tailcap that adjusts brightness (from .01 to 10,000 lumens), and a focasable head (fro .01 degrees to 179 degrees), all that runs on a nuclear cell that will never be used up.

My ideal EDC with current technology would be a ArcAAA and an Orb RAW. Both are small, ones a dim flood that runs hours, ones a Bright semi throwy light that runs well not very long. Both are useful, and they seem to compliment each other perfectly.

A basic RAW with an extra battery should be just about 80 bucks with the current exchage rate. It wont throw like an aleph, but it will light up a dog 60-70 feet away, and it'll put out more lumens per gram then an aleph for sure.

Thanks for the info, but the runtime is what worries me. I think I will wait for Pentagonlight, Pelican, or Inova to come out with a single cell 3 watt with 27mm reflector, then somehow get a 2 stage mod.

-David

Last edited:

bwm

Newly Enlightened
My deal would be a CR2 based HDS EDC GT with say a 20/30 lumen output and a wider hotspot than I can get with AW's beamspreader lens. My HDS has white output, long battery life but is too bug. So I bought an Arc AAA but find the hotspot too narrow but the size and battery life is great. I ordered a CR2 Ion and I know that a flood will be great for most of what I need an EDC for but I may find I miss haveing some throw. I find that if the light is not small I don't have it on me when I have need for light.

Brian

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was also looking into the HDS Basic 60, but I am not sure about the runtime on max. Also, I am wondering if I could get it for under $125.

-Davud